Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 01:18 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,009,297 times

Advertisements

It is all relative. In US you can say Chicago has some depth because it does have the most depth except for NYC, although there is a very big gap there. That gap is large enough to put the skylines of NYC and Chicago into two categories. NYC has a filled sky-rectangle while Chicago does have only a line. That's why some people say Miami is shaping out more like Chicago instead of NYC, because Miami is also forming a line.

Your picture has an angle that the waterfront blocks the vast flat area behind it. However, you can still see it, and you can see it from many other pictures. I've been to Chicago and I've seen numerous pictures of it on skyscrapercity.com. Its skyline is undeniably beautiful but doesn't have much depth, although it does have good density along the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Not quite the case. And its not an insult, just someone misinformed. Chicago's skyline has quite a bit of depth. Moreso than any other skyline in America. Along the river the skyline stretches westward for a pretty good distance. Most skylines in the country are more spherical than Chicago's but Chicago's skyline still has more depth than probably all of the other American cities.

Also many people who haven't been to Chicago don't realize that the highrises (many taller than other cities tallest buildings) stretch all the way from Hyde Park to Evanston (the 1st northern suburb).

Chicago's density drops as you hit parts of the Southside however. Since the Southside as a whole has such low density, it brings down the overall density of the entire city. The northside stays consistantly dense from downtown until you hit Evanston.

Last edited by fashionguy; 07-09-2009 at 01:39 PM..

Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM

177 posts, read 479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Midtown Manhattan's skyline is 3 miles wide, stretching from the East River to the Hudson, that is much wider than Chicago's; Halsted which is west of downtown is a little over a mile west of the lake.
Second, the density of Chicago may be consistent along the northlake front, but to say the entire northside density is consistent is quite misleading.
I just want to clarify this, no offense. To be fair, Manhattan is 2 miles wide at its widest point before central park, at 59th street. Obviously 1.5 miles would be Chicago's skyline at its absolute widest (including Lakeshore east, streeterville etc) and is only that wide for maybe a few blocks if that, while Manhattan maintains a 2 mile wide skyline a significant number of miles probably, but I just felt your numbers were also misleading.

But yeah, I agree with your point and he really should have qualified his statement anyway by saying 'other than NYC', because Chicagos skyline is nowhere near as wide as NYCs. Even along the north shore the widest the skyline gets is 5 miles north of downtown, in Lakeview, and even then it is only a few blocks wide. Thats the reason NYC has maybe 4 or 5 times as many 12+ story bldgs overall. Its girth.

And Miami is a different conversation altogether. I see very little width, but it certainly is growing. In width and height, and it was quite impressive to see Miami during the height of the boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Most of Chicago is very flat with trees noticeable compared to NYC or even SF and LA. LA's tall building section is considerably smaller than Chicago but it look defintely more heavily developed elsewhere from an air view. I think this is a good comparison, but some people in Chicago are so proud that they think this is an insult.
I dont understand what you mean here. So LA is more developed than Chicago outside of the 'tall building section'? Where are you referring? Also I hope you realize this tall building section in Chicago is continuous for over 15 miles, while in LA it is more clumps and nodes, so they are highly different.

Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboto View Post
I just want to clarify this, no offense. To be fair, Manhattan is 2 miles wide at its widest point before central park, at 59th street. Obviously 1.5 miles would be Chicago's skyline at its absolute widest (including Lakeshore east, streeterville etc) and is only that wide for maybe a few blocks if that, while Manhattan maintains a 2 mile wide skyline a significant number of miles probably, but I just felt your numbers were also misleading.

But yeah, I agree with your point and he really should have qualified his statement anyway by saying 'other than NYC', because Chicagos skyline is nowhere near as wide as NYCs. Even along the north shore the widest the skyline gets is 5 miles north of downtown, in Lakeview, and even then it is only a few blocks wide. Thats the reason NYC has maybe 4 or 5 times as many 12+ story bldgs overall. Its girth..
your correct, 2.3 miles at its widest point, my mistake

]

Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
i like Miami's sky line a lot better than Chicago's

Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Midtown Manhattan's skyline is 3 miles wide, stretching from the East River to the Hudson, that is much wider than Chicago's; Halsted which is west of downtown is a little over a mile west of the lake.
Second, the density of Chicago may be consistent along the northlake front, but to say the entire northside density is consistent is quite misleading.[/

It is all relative. In US you can say Chicago has some depth because it does have the most depth except for NYC, although there is a very big gap there. That gap is large enough to put the skylines of NYC and Chicago into two categories. NYC has a filled sky-rectangle while Chicago does have only a line. That's why some people say Miami is shaping out more like Chicago instead of NYC, because Miami is also forming a line.

Your picture has an angle that the waterfront blocks the vast flat area behind it. However, you can still see it, and you can see it from many other pictures. I've been to Chicago and I've seen numerous pictures of it on skyscrapercity.com. Its skyline is undeniably beautiful but doesn't have much depth, although it does have good density along the line.
Chicago is not exactly flat away from its core. It has 3-4 story flats that go north up to Evanston and pretty far west as well. There are some gaps in consistency but for the most part its consistantly dense. The Southside for the most part, is the only section of the city that feels somewhat suburban and is less dense than the rest of the city.

Here's some shots of Chicago from a dew different angles. Nothing to hide

(Photos courtesy of Hashishas on Flickr and Chicagophotoshop.com)

Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 AM

229 posts, read 1,043,529 times
Miami from a Cessna!

QuantumPX - Page 61 - SkyscraperCity

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,520 times
Chicagos are much taller and has a live downtown.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:59 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,087 times
Miami's skyline mainly consists of half empty (or empty) faceless, soulless condos. At least Chicago's skyline has a great deal of diversity and a good blend of commercial and residential high rises, along with a world famous iconic supertall (the Sears Building).

What does Miami have? Condos, reckless drivers and Cuban refs.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:32 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
I think that Chicago skyline's looks better than the Miami

Old 07-23-2009, 04:47 PM

358 posts, read 755,019 times
Are you kidding me? Miami's skyline is full of monotonous looking towers, without any depth. It's made even worse when you consider half of them are empty and there are no lights on at night.

Chicago, fo sho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City