Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one for me?
Minneapolis and St. Paul 129 54.66%
Nashville 107 45.34%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
I just want to be clear that I'm not ripping on Nashville as I know it's a great city. It just doesn't have all the amenities that Minneapolis does. Not only does Minneapolis win out in having baseball, an abundance of hockey, major, corporate presence, biking, but it also surpasses Nashville in GDP, ethnic diversity, dining, shopping, education, etc...

I'm glad you are actually visiting both. All I can say is go with your gut feeling.

When will you be visiting Minneapolis - St. Paul?
A couple of things...I'm not going to argue that Nashville is "better than" Minneapolis-St. Paul...but can you give me some background as far as the superiority of the corporate presence, ethnic diversity, shopping, and education (btw, I won't argue public school education -- with a few exceptions, that area is somewhat lacking in the Nashville area)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 04:28 PM

102 posts, read 196,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
That's a great write up. For comparison, I'll try to do the same from a Nashville perspective:
GREAT list. Thank you so much. I really can't wait to visit Nashville and from what friends have shown me, looks like a great city.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM

102 posts, read 196,972 times
Quote:
I just want to be clear that I'm not ripping on Nashville as I know it's a great city. It just doesn't have all the amenities that Minneapolis does. Not only does Minneapolis win out in having baseball, an abundance of hockey, major, corporate presence, biking, but it also surpasses Nashville in GDP, ethnic diversity, dining, shopping, education, etc...

I'm glad you are actually visiting both. All I can say is go with your gut feeling.

When will you be visiting Minneapolis - St. Paul?
Good advice. I'm planning around September or so, maybe even during winter.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM

252 posts, read 492,920 times
Quote:
Economy: Aside from the music business, Nashville may be considered the healthcare capital of the world. The two big players, HCA and Community Health Systems are both Fortune 500 companies...plus there are a number of other smaller healthcare companies in town. The Nashville area also has a strong presence with Nissan, with a large manufacturing plant as well as the companies North American headquarters located within the metro. Logistics/Transportation is also a major player in the local economy.
Great summary nashvols! I had no idea Nashville had such a solid healthcare industry.

Quote:
A couple of things...I'm not going to argue that Nashville is "better than" Minneapolis-St. Paul...but can you give me some background as far as the superiority of the corporate presence, ethnic diversity, shopping, and education (btw, I won't argue public school education -- with a few exceptions, that area is somewhat lacking in the Nashville area)?
Sure. Here are some of the largest companies based in the Minneapolis area (this information was posted by BlackOut). The Twin Cities economy is very diverse.

Cargill Inc. - $120B
Multinational agriculture company

UnitedHealth Group Inc. – $87.1B
Benefit design and implementation for companies, owns and operates health plans

Target Corp. – $65.4B
Retailer

Best Buy Co. Inc. - $49.7B
Retailer

Supervalu Inc. - $44.6B
Grocery wholesaler and retailer

CHS Inc. - $25.7B
Energy and agricultural cooperative

3M Co. – $23.1B
Global diversified technology company

U.S. Bancorp - $19.5B
Regional bank holding company

Medtronic Inc. - $15.5B
Medical device technologies

General Mills Inc. - $14.8B
Consumer foods

Land O'Lakes - $10.4B
Dairy

Mosaic Co. – $10.3B
Produces and distributes concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients, nitrogen fertilizers and feed ingredients.

Xcel Energy Inc. - $9.6B
Electric and natural gas utility

Ameriprise Financial Inc. - $7.9B
Diversified financial services

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Inc. - $7.6B
Transportation services and logistics support

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans - $6.5B
Financial services

Ecolab Inc. - $5.9B
Provides cleaning, sanitizing, food safety, infection control products and maintenance products and services

Nash Finch Co. - $5.2B
Food wholesaler and owner and operator of supermarkets

Alliant Techsystems Inc. – $4.8B
Develops aerospace and defense products and systems

St. Jude Medical Inc. - $4.7B
Makes cardiovascular medical devices

Carlson Companies - $4.3B
Owns hotel, restaurant, and travel franchises

Patterson Cos Inc. – $3.2B
Distributes dental, veterinary and rehabilitation supplies and equipment

Valspar Corp. - $2.9B
Makes paint and coatings

M A Mortenson - $2.8B
Construction

Pentair Inc. - $2.7B
A diversified operating company; Water Group makes products for the movement, treatment, storage and enjoyment of water; Technical Products Group makes standard, modified and custom enclosures that house and protect sensitive electronics

Rosen's Diversified
- $2.6B

Meat products

Andersen Corporation - $2.5B
Manufacturer of windows

Regis Corp. - $2.4B
Owns, operates and franchises hair salons in mall and strip-center locations

OneBeacon Insurance Group
- $2.4B

Offers a range of specialty and personal insurance products and services

Holiday Companies - $2.0B
Convenience stores

Polaris Industries Inc. - $1.6B
Makes snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles, garments and accessories

The Toro Co. – $1.5B
Makes turf maintenance equipment and precision irrigation systems for golf courses, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties, and agricultural fields.

MoneyGram International Inc. - $1.2B
Provides global money transfer, money order and payment processing products and services

ADC Telecommunications Inc. - $1.1B
Provides communications network infrastructure and services worldwide

Gander Mountain Co. - $1.1B
Specialty retailer of outdoor goods

Life Time Fitness Inc. – $837M
Operates sports and athletic, professional fitness, family recreation and resort/spa centers

Lawson Software Inc. - $713.5M
Provides financial management, human resources, professional services automation, procurement, business intelligence and other business management related software

Fair Isaac Corp. (FICO) – $618.8M
Business analytics and decision management technology company

Select Comfort Corp. - $544.2M
Makes and sells adjustable-firmness beds and other sleep-related products

Buffalo Wild Wings Inc.
- 538.9M

Restaurant chain

Piper Jaffray Cos. - $482.5M
General securities brokerage, corporate and public finance

Securian Financial Group, Inc. - $339M
Financial services corporation

Capella Education Co. - $334.6M
Online post-secondary education services company specializing in master's and doctoral degrees.

Caribou Coffee Co. Inc. – $262.5M
Coffeehouses

Famous Dave's of America Inc. - $136M
Restaurant chain

As far as ethnic diversity, the MPLS - STPL area has the largest Somali, Hmong, Oromo (Ethiopian), Liberian, Karen (Burmese) and Anuak (Ethiopian/Sudanese) populations in the U.S., and is home to the second largest Tibetan population.

Foreign Born Population (as of 2009):
Minneapolis: 59,093
St. Paul: 42,669

Naturalized U.S. Citizen (as of 2009):
Minneapolis: 19,025
St. Paul: 18,802

Not a U.S. Citizen (as of 2009):
Minneapolis: 40,068
St. Paul: 23,867

These numbers were previously posted by BlackOut as well.

In regards to shopping, downtown Minneapolis came to mind and then of course the MOA. Nashville didn't seem to have the options last time I was there.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,341,739 times
I think Blackout did a good job with his description of Minneapolis. I'd just add that Minneapolis has an exceptional park system, which is often considered to be one of the best in the nation due to the extent of parkways and urban parks. People in Minneapolis (and St Paul and the suburbs) place a high value on public parks and it adds a lot to the quality of life in the region. Arguably, the crown jewel of the parks is the Chain of lakes (in southwest Minneapolis, not too far from downtown), with four interconnected lakes linked by trails for jogging/biking/roller-blading (which got its start here in the '80s to keep hockey players in shape during the warm weather months). The parkways along the Mississippi River, especially in downtown, have also become a very attractive place to visit and/or live.

The Twin Cities definitely have sprawl, but both central cities have an extensive collection of interesting and vibrant neighborhoods, and there are few reasons to leave unless you want to.

Winter definietly has its trying moments--particularly in March, when everyone is anxious for spring. However, there's a lot to do in Winter, from outdoor skating (on lakes or in parks) to skiing (X-country and downhill) to the St paul Winter carnival. But, winter's also a great time to read, go to plays, work out at the health club and take the skyways rather than the streets...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venti View Post
I should thank you too blackout. I am moving to mlps in few months, and your info is really appreciated. My question, what activities do you guys do during cold days?
No problem. The winter months can be tough, but I found out quickly this is the time to take advantage of all the indoor activities that you may not be able to do during the summer months due to a busy schedule. I hit the museums and art galleries and I love live music so I go to as many shows as I can. The Vikings, Wild, Timberwolves, and Gophers are always a good option too. There are many outdoor enthusiasts here, but I'm not one of them. I don't go winter camping, ice fishing, cross-country skiing, or bike riding during the winter (crazy). I do play hockey both inside and out, which is quite the experience. Just make sure to network and stay active.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:14 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Both are nice cities for their tier so I think a lot of it comes down to personal preference.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:26 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,202 times
Nashvols did such an exceptional job repping Nashville as he was very fair in his assessment. I've lived in the city all my life and love my life here. It fits. It certainly won't be a snug a fit for everyone. I have friends in Minneapolis who feel the same about their city/region.

I'm abstaining from voting at all in this poll. Voting for one is a vote against the other, and with these two cities, I can't do that.

Just go with how it feels. Either way, you can't go wrong to the extent of ever having huge regrets.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:49 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,327,304 times
Quote:
Great summary nashvols! I had no idea Nashville had such a solid healthcare industry.

Sure. Here are some of the largest companies based in the Minneapolis area (this information was posted by BlackOut). The Twin Cities economy is very diverse.

Cargill Inc. - $120B
Multinational agriculture company

UnitedHealth Group Inc. – $87.1B
Benefit design and implementation for companies, owns and operates health plans

Target Corp. – $65.4B
Retailer

Best Buy Co. Inc. - $49.7B
Retailer

Supervalu Inc. - $44.6B
Grocery wholesaler and retailer

CHS Inc. - $25.7B
Energy and agricultural cooperative

3M Co. – $23.1B
Global diversified technology company

U.S. Bancorp - $19.5B
Regional bank holding company

Medtronic Inc. - $15.5B
Medical device technologies

General Mills Inc. - $14.8B
Consumer foods

Land O'Lakes - $10.4B
Dairy

Mosaic Co. – $10.3B
Produces and distributes concentrated phosphate and potash crop nutrients, nitrogen fertilizers and feed ingredients.

Xcel Energy Inc. - $9.6B
Electric and natural gas utility

Ameriprise Financial Inc. - $7.9B
Diversified financial services

C.H. Robinson Worldwide Inc. - $7.6B
Transportation services and logistics support

Thrivent Financial for Lutherans - $6.5B
Financial services

Ecolab Inc. - $5.9B
Provides cleaning, sanitizing, food safety, infection control products and maintenance products and services

Nash Finch Co. - $5.2B
Food wholesaler and owner and operator of supermarkets

Alliant Techsystems Inc. – $4.8B
Develops aerospace and defense products and systems

St. Jude Medical Inc. - $4.7B
Makes cardiovascular medical devices

Carlson Companies - $4.3B
Owns hotel, restaurant, and travel franchises

Patterson Cos Inc. – $3.2B
Distributes dental, veterinary and rehabilitation supplies and equipment

Valspar Corp. - $2.9B
Makes paint and coatings

M A Mortenson - $2.8B
Construction

Pentair Inc. - $2.7B
A diversified operating company; Water Group makes products for the movement, treatment, storage and enjoyment of water; Technical Products Group makes standard, modified and custom enclosures that house and protect sensitive electronics

Rosen's Diversified
- $2.6B

Meat products

Andersen Corporation - $2.5B
Manufacturer of windows

Regis Corp. - $2.4B
Owns, operates and franchises hair salons in mall and strip-center locations

OneBeacon Insurance Group
- $2.4B

Offers a range of specialty and personal insurance products and services

Holiday Companies - $2.0B
Convenience stores

Polaris Industries Inc. - $1.6B
Makes snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles and motorcycles, garments and accessories

The Toro Co. – $1.5B
Makes turf maintenance equipment and precision irrigation systems for golf courses, sports fields, public green spaces, commercial and residential properties, and agricultural fields.

MoneyGram International Inc. - $1.2B
Provides global money transfer, money order and payment processing products and services

ADC Telecommunications Inc. - $1.1B
Provides communications network infrastructure and services worldwide

Gander Mountain Co. - $1.1B
Specialty retailer of outdoor goods

Life Time Fitness Inc. – $837M
Operates sports and athletic, professional fitness, family recreation and resort/spa centers

Lawson Software Inc. - $713.5M
Provides financial management, human resources, professional services automation, procurement, business intelligence and other business management related software

Fair Isaac Corp. (FICO) – $618.8M
Business analytics and decision management technology company

Select Comfort Corp. - $544.2M
Makes and sells adjustable-firmness beds and other sleep-related products

Buffalo Wild Wings Inc.
- 538.9M

Restaurant chain

Piper Jaffray Cos. - $482.5M
General securities brokerage, corporate and public finance

Securian Financial Group, Inc. - $339M
Financial services corporation

Capella Education Co. - $334.6M
Online post-secondary education services company specializing in master's and doctoral degrees.

Caribou Coffee Co. Inc. – $262.5M
Coffeehouses

Famous Dave's of America Inc. - $136M
Restaurant chain

As far as ethnic diversity, the MPLS - STPL area has the largest Somali, Hmong, Oromo (Ethiopian), Liberian, Karen (Burmese) and Anuak (Ethiopian/Sudanese) populations in the U.S., and is home to the second largest Tibetan population.

Foreign Born Population (as of 2009):
Minneapolis: 59,093
St. Paul: 42,669

Naturalized U.S. Citizen (as of 2009):
Minneapolis: 19,025
St. Paul: 18,802

Not a U.S. Citizen (as of 2009):
Minneapolis: 40,068
St. Paul: 23,867

These numbers were previously posted by BlackOut as well.

In regards to shopping, downtown Minneapolis came to mind and then of course the MOA. Nashville didn't seem to have the options last time I was there.
I do have to say that Minneapolis-St. Paul has an impressive group of corporations. I'm guessing the dollar figures you have given are revenue? I'll try to come up with a Nashville list just for comparison's sake.

Caremark Pharmacy Services - $36.750 billion (subsidiary of CVS Caremark)
healthcare

Hospital Corporation of America
- $30.052 billion
healthcare

Community Health Systems - $12.149 billion
healthcare

Dollar General - $11.796 billion
retail

Vanguard Health Systems - $5.2 billion
healthcare

Tractor Supply Company - $3.07 billion
retail

LifePoint Hospitals - $2.753 billion
healthcare

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store - $2.367 billion
restaurants

HealthSpring - $2.188.3 billion
healthcare

Iasis Healthcare - $2.115 billion
healthcare

Firestone Tire and Rubber Company - $2.09 billion (subsidiary of Bridgestone - Bridgestone North America's offices are also headquartered in Nashville)
manufacturing

Psychiatric Solutions - $1.780 billion
healthcare

Louisiana-Pacific Corporation - $1.7 billion
construction

Genesco - $1.574 billion
apparel

Corrections Corporation of America - $1.669 billion
prisons

O'Charley's - $977 million
restaurants

Gaylord Entertainment Company - $747 million
hotels

Healthways - $736 million
healthcare

SMS Holdings Corporation - $304 million
parent company

Thomas Nelson - $252.7 million
publishing

J. Alexanders - $141 million
restaurants

It's an incomplete list...there are a number of large companies (Central Parking Corporation, Ingram Industries, Asurion, Sitel, and more) that I couldn't find any data, or current data for. Plus, there are companies like Nissan, which has both a major factory as well as its North American headquarters here. This should give you an idea, though.

As for diversity:
Foreign born population (2008 FAIR estimate) - 69,260, many of which are Mexicans, Kurds, Vietnamese, Laotions, Cambodians, and Bantus.

Nashville reportedly has the largest Kurdish population in the U.S. with approx 11,000.

Overall demographic figure (2010):
57% White non-Hispanic
27% Black non-Hispanic
10% Hispanic
3% Asian
2% multiracial

Last edited by nashvols; 04-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: accounting error

Old 04-11-2011, 08:56 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
I think that Blackout's assessment for Minneapolis was spot on. If I could, I'd +1.
One thing I would add is to inform people that Minneapolis the city is very small land-wise and population-wise. The metro is basically made up of nice suburbs (over 300) that surround the two adjacent core cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul. The downtowns of the two twins are about 8 miles apart. I know I said these actual cities are small in terms of pop. and size, but they pack quite a punch in 55 sq miles!

If it means anything my cousin from MPLS lived in Nashville for a few years and said Nashville was awesome and loved living there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City