U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 AM

4,573 posts, read 3,122,365 times
Default Brooklyn vs DC

Okay, this seems like a reasonable comparison. Both areas have rich attributes.

Criteria

-Diversity
-Nightlife
-Architecture
-Education
-Public Transportation
-Skyline
-Quality of Life
-History

Last edited by knowledgeiskey; 04-12-2011 at 07:59 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 4,042,290 times
off the top, IMO, bk has more diversity, better public transportation, the skyline is definitely better...the quality of life...i have to think about a little bit more. rent should be around the same for each area.

the job market is better in dc IMO but consider that a lot of ppl in bk work in manhattan. but for the sake of the thread since we're just focusing on the borough of bk and dc it might go in dc's favor with the govt and all.

dc wins in history.

nightlife...again, keep in mind that bk is part of a city and dc is a commonwealth. i'd still take bk over dc when it comes to this, tho.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:06 AM

4,364 posts, read 4,881,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
off the top, IMO, bk has more diversity, better public transportation, the skyline is definitely better...the quality of life...i have to think about a little bit more. rent should be around the same for each area.

the job market is better in dc IMO but consider that a lot of ppl in bk work in manhattan. but for the sake of the thread since we're just focusing on the borough of bk and dc it might go in dc's favor with the govt and all.

dc wins in history.

nightlife...again, keep in mind that bk is part of a city and dc is a commonwealth. i'd still take bk over dc when it comes to this, tho.

I lived half my years in both! Eek! DC isn't a commonwealth.
Diversity - BK
-Nightlife - Tie - BK has better neighborhood bars. DC has better lounges and upscale spots.
-Architecture - DC
-Education -DC
-Public Transportation -BK
-Skyline - BK
-Quality of Life - DC
-History-DC

Old 01-26-2012, 07:48 PM

6,972 posts, read 11,974,789 times
i think they're pretty close

dc is surrounded by md/va

bk is surrounded by more awesome nyc. and quick access to da shore

dc is a country brooklyn imo

Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

9,662 posts, read 7,570,378 times
The complicating factors about comparing Brooklyn to DC are that Brooklyn is a borough which clearly plays second fiddle to Manhattan right across the river, which is the big gorilla. Whereas DC is a whole entity, more important destination (what in Brooklyn can compare to the White House, U.S. Capitol, U.S. Supreme Court and the Smithsonian?) and tourist attraction compared to Brooklyn.

So, I don't think an apples-to-apples comparison is possible in this case.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 AM

15,978 posts, read 8,631,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Okay, this seems like a reasonable comparison. Both areas have rich attributes.

Criteria

-Diversity Brooklyn obviously
-Nightlife Brooklyn
-Architecture Brooklyn
-Education DC for higher education; BK in a landslide for K-12
-Public Transportation Brooklyn
-Skyline Brooklyn
-Quality of Life I say Brooklyn since DC is trying to become more like BK
-History Brooklyn easily. It's older
My thoughts.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:01 AM

11,026 posts, read 9,202,697 times
-Diversity: Brooklyn, by a pretty strong margin
-Nightlife: Brooklyn except for lounges/clubs
-Architecture: Brooklyn overall, DC for monumental architecture
-Education: DC, Brooklyn for arts/design though (Pratt?)
-Public Transportation: Brooklyn, DC pretty close save for 24 hours and slightly less coverage
-Skyline: neither is known for skyline, but Brooklyn's taller (skylines aren't important though, eh?)
-Quality of Life: ? Brooklyn?
-History: Er, I prefer Brooklyn's

Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM

3,548 posts, read 4,790,194 times
Well, I think this is a pretty irrelevant comparison, because I don't know how you separate Brooklyn from all of New York. Are we just supposed to pretend that Brooklyn-ites don't have all of the trappings of Manhattan accessible only a subway ride away?

With that out of the way, I'd probably give Brooklyn the edge on everything except skyline and quality of life. I prefer DC's low-slung skyline of monuments and government buildings over Brooklyn's non-descript skyscrapers. And if we're looking at each as a self-contained unit (i.e., not elevating Brooklyn's status due to its proximity to Manhattan which, again, seems a bit ridiculous) I think DC offers a higher quality of life. You can live closer to your place of employment, the cost of living is cheaper, you have more cultural opportunities, and you don't deal with the stresses that come from living in one of the world's largest metropolitan areas.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:49 AM

5,338 posts, read 2,319,116 times
History to Brooklyn?!! Over the city where the March on Washington occured? Where millions of important laws were passed? Where the British invaded, where Lincoln was killed?

Architecture to Brooklyn? D.C. has the the Capital, the White House, dozens of Memorials, plus all the grand buildings that comprise the Smithsonian.

This is "Brooklyn vs San Francisco" part II. Brooklyn doesn't compare.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:39 PM

15,978 posts, read 8,631,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, I think this is a pretty irrelevant comparison, because I don't know how you separate Brooklyn from all of New York. Are we just supposed to pretend that Brooklyn-ites don't have all of the trappings of Manhattan accessible only a subway ride away?
I think his criteria were sufficiently discrete to make the comparison feasible. The clubs, bars, restaurants, and diversity of Brooklyn have nothing to do with any of the other Boroughs. They're either in Brooklyn or they're not. It's really no different, imo, from doing a Dupont Circle vs Columbia Heights comparison.

Quote:
With that out of the way, I'd probably give Brooklyn the edge on everything except skyline and quality of life. I prefer DC's low-slung skyline of monuments and government buildings over Brooklyn's non-descript skyscrapers.
I don't know why "skyline" is even a criterion.

Quote:
And if we're looking at each as a self-contained unit (i.e., not elevating Brooklyn's status due to its proximity to Manhattan which, again, seems a bit ridiculous) I think DC offers a higher quality of life. You can live closer to your place of employment, the cost of living is cheaper, you have more cultural opportunities, and you don't deal with the stresses that come from living in one of the world's largest metropolitan areas.
I have a different take on this. I moved out of DC not that long ago and still work down there for a few days at a time.

Your commute obviously depends on where you live. I went from a 15 minute commute to Gallery Place/Metro Center to a about a 20 minute commute from Clinton Hill/Fort Greene to Lower Manhattan. So I don't think the difference is really that dramatic. And a good number of people work and live in Brooklyn. I have one friend, for example, who works in the Brooklyn DA's office and another friend who is a law clerk for the Second Circuit. They both walk to work. If you work on Wall Street, you actually have a much shorter commute than someone living on the UWS.

The cost of living in Brooklyn and DC are about the same, imo. You can rent out a studio in BK Heights for about $1,500 per month, which is comparable to what you'd pay for a studio in Dupont or Adams Morgan. The big difference, obviously, is that you're walking distance to the Brooklyn Bridge, so you're getting more bang for your buck.

While DC has great museums, the museums in Brooklyn are very impressive. Plus, the streets alone provide all of the culture you could ever want.

And I don't find Brooklyn to really be stressful. I think people move to Brooklyn because it's not Manhattan. Manhattan is on the go all the time. Brooklyn is really a place where people come to kick it. It has a lot of tranquil streets, but at the same time there's a lot more going on in the streets than there is in DC. And the vibe is more laid back, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City