U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which Rust Belt cities have the most potential?
Detroit 11 11.58%
Cleveland 13 13.68%
Pittsburgh 35 36.84%
Buffalo 3 3.16%
Rochester 4 4.21%
St. Louis 10 10.53%
Cincinnati 9 9.47%
Baltimore 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
780 posts, read 848,877 times
Reputation: 568

Advertisements

We all know that in the 50s and 60s all the industrial cities in the US started falling apart and declining after the industry moved somewhere else. However, some of these cities are trying very hard to reclaim at least some of their former glory. Which has the best chance?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Toronto
1,658 posts, read 3,244,493 times
Reputation: 748
Cincinatti?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
3,556 posts, read 5,023,398 times
Reputation: 1384
I say tie between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Both have found working ways to revitalize their cores and neighborhoods right outside of Downtown.

Not the mention, both are using smart tactics at expanding their academic centers: Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon and Pitt. Cleveland: Case Western Reverse/University Circle and Cleveland State University.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
780 posts, read 848,877 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I say tie between Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Both have found working ways to revitalize their cores and neighborhoods right outside of Downtown.

Not the mention, both are using smart tactics at expanding their academic centers: Pittsburgh: Carnegie Mellon and Pitt. Cleveland: Case Western Reverse/University Circle and Cleveland State University.
That makes a really good point, Pittsburgh is attracting many young people from around the country because of the colleges, same with Cleveland to a slightly lesser extent.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:21 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
7,536 posts, read 8,423,100 times
Reputation: 8257
I knew Pittsburgh would carry this thread from the get go. Pittsburgh has always had a big advantage with its educational endowments. It's also aesthetically the prettiest Rustbelt City. Fortunately Mr. Carnegie had a bleeding heart before crossing over thus Pittsburgh benefiting. Maybe we can sell passes into heaven to Wall Street and corporate billionaires to give Detroit and Cleveland a real renaissance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
1,274 posts, read 1,697,256 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I knew Pittsburgh would carry this thread from the get go. Pittsburgh has always had a big advantage with its educational endowments. It's also aesthetically the prettiest Rustbelt City. Fortunately Mr. Carnegie had a bleeding heart before crossing over thus Pittsburgh benefiting. Maybe we can sell passes into heaven to Wall Street and corporate billionaires to give Detroit and Cleveland a real renaissance.

Caphillsea77, don't bat an eye more than once ... Cleveland is certainly becoming a very major success story with it's ongoing and startling renaissance, most particularly in it's city centre ...



YouTube - Greater Cleveland Partnership "Turning the Corner"






YouTube - Downtown Cleveland Is Moving
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,531 posts, read 6,075,049 times
Reputation: 2226
POTENTIAL: Detroit. It's lost almost everything and has fallen the furthest from its peak. If it lived up to its potential, it would be the most remarkable. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have the most potential in terms of actual likelihood of turning it around and making the biggest strides and contribution to the country, and it's already happening.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
1,274 posts, read 1,697,256 times
Reputation: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
POTENTIAL: Detroit. It's lost almost everything and has fallen the furthest from its peak. If it lived up to its potential, it would be the most remarkable. Cleveland and Pittsburgh have the most potential in terms of actual likelihood of turning it around and making the biggest strides and contribution to the country, and it's already happening.

What a profoundly accurate statement, particularly concerning both
Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Still, I hope to see Detroit experience a wide scale renewal ... it's such
a proud and fascinating city that offers so many amenities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 09:33 PM
 
973 posts, read 1,051,357 times
Reputation: 567
they all have more potential than most other cities in the united states.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2011, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
637 posts, read 802,150 times
Reputation: 209
Detroit? It's already coming back if I'm not mistaken.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top