U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,684,955 times
Reputation: 1869

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Actually Miami does not have the same climate as the South. Miami has a tropical climate. We have temperatures between 70-90 throughout most of the year. It might get under 70 for a few days in January and over 90 for a few in July, but that's it. The winter is dry, and the summer is humid, although in the summer we have PM thunderstorms basically every day for like 3 months so that keeps the temperatures in the high 70/low 80 range in the middle of the summer, much cooler than the rest of the country. Yes, it's humid, but not as unbearable as some more inland places like Houston or Atlanta. Miami's climate is actually pretty bearable. Warm year round, humid 5-6 months a year, dry 5-6 months a year.
I never said the climate was the same, I said that Miami is similar to the rest of the south as it' known for mild winters and hot summers. Yes they do talk about the ocean breeze, but I've experienced a summer in southern Florida and what I remember was HEAT HEAT HEAT. There's also the issue of tropical storms and flooding.

Miami is not seen as having good weather the same way California is. That's my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2011, 06:45 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,684,955 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
The city has really been cleaning itself up the last half of last decade and continues to do so. The bayous are having trails and parks constructed along them, connecting the city. Then old, dilapidated buildings are being torn down, as newer ones are built. There has been a ton of landscaping done, too. City leaders are trying to make Houston more aesthetically pleasing, and they are doing a good job so far.
Maybe so, but for many of the things that annoy me it's pretty much too late to fix. Houston is too far gone lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 06:56 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,770,920 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I never said the climate was the same, I said that Miami is similar to the rest of the south as it' known for mild winters and hot summers. Yes they do talk about the ocean breeze, but I've experienced a summer in southern Florida and what I remember was HEAT HEAT HEAT. There's also the issue of tropical storms and flooding.

Miami is not seen as having good weather the same way California is. That's my point.
Actually Miami's climate is very different from the rest of the South (which also varies widely)...Atlanta has mild winters with freezing temperatures and a snowfall or two - Miami has very warm winters comparatively, so warm that people there do not own coats or other outerwear. Summer temperatures are not as hot as other areas of the South, with the average highs are a few degrees lower. It's more of a consistently warm climate without a lot of fluctuation between seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 07:15 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,684,955 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Actually Miami's climate is very different from the rest of the South (which also varies widely)...Atlanta has mild winters with freezing temperatures and a snowfall or two - Miami has very warm winters comparatively, so warm that people there do not own coats or other outerwear. Summer temperatures are not as hot as other areas of the South, with the average highs are a few degrees lower. It's more of a consistently warm climate without a lot of fluctuation between seasons.
Again, no one said the climates were the same, nor was I saying that the weather or temperatures were close to being the same. All I'm saying is that Miami has hot and humid summers and milder winters. Granted, it's on the warmer side of mild, but still milder nonetheless. This isn't news to anyone. Miami is too consistently warm for me in the winter. I could never live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:06 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,770,920 times
Reputation: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Again, no one said the climates were the same, nor was I saying that the weather or temperatures were close to being the same. All I'm saying is that Miami has hot and humid summers and milder winters. Granted, it's on the warmer side of mild, but still milder nonetheless. This isn't news to anyone. Miami is too consistently warm for me in the winter. I could never live there.
When you said that the climate in "Miami is similar to the rest of the South" I took that to mean that you thought the weather and temperatures were close to the same (isn't that what similar means?).

Anyway, it's too warm for me there too, although the time I spent in Miami in January was really nice. I like distinct seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:19 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 4,684,955 times
Reputation: 1869
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
When you said that the climate in "Miami is similar to the rest of the South" I took that to mean that you thought the weather and temperatures were close to the same (isn't that what similar means?).

Anyway, it's too warm for me there too, although the time I spent in Miami in January was really nice. I like distinct seasons.
Me too. And I still don't really understand the weather thing for Miami. I mean, their summertime is good weather for walking around Miami Beach half naked, not for doing yard work, getting a run in, or sitting on the front porch when you have to worry about swatting away mosquitoes that flew in from the Everglades lol. From what I've heard, that's most of the year in SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM
 
640 posts, read 689,280 times
Reputation: 582
St. Louis, Savanna, Detroit, Buffalo, Corpus Cristi, Mobile, Chattanooga.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
780 posts, read 851,444 times
Reputation: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Me too. And I still don't really understand the weather thing for Miami. I mean, their summertime is good weather for walking around Miami Beach half naked, not for doing yard work, getting a run in, or sitting on the front porch when you have to worry about swatting away mosquitoes that flew in from the Everglades lol. From what I've heard, that's most of the year in SF.
The mosquitoes only come out at dawn or dusk. Stay inside 6-8 AM and PM and you should be fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 11:14 PM
 
4,880 posts, read 5,254,808 times
Reputation: 2486
Some Cities in the USA that seem furthest from their potential:

Miami, Florida
Honolulu, Hawaii
Anchorage, Alaska
Baltimore, Maryland
San Jose, California
Jacksonville, Florida
Corpus Cristi, Texas
Rochester, New York

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 04-16-2011 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2011, 11:31 PM
 
3,470 posts, read 5,649,637 times
Reputation: 2341
I can add:
Albuquerque, NM
San Jose, CA
Fresno, CA (I'm serious here)
Kansas City, MO/KS
Lexington, KY (it's its mindset)
Cincinnati, OH (they're trying to improve, though)
Columbus, OH
Buffalo, NY
Birmingham, AL
Galveston, TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:04 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top