U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,435 posts, read 7,603,400 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Um.... I guess to get back on topic(?) the city farthest from it's potential is Fort Worth.

Think about it.....

- Has well over 700,000 in the city and well over 2 million in the county/metro area
- One of the fastest growing major cities (534,000 to 740,000 in a decade)
- Plenty... and dammit I mean PLENTY of open land just within the central core alone for development and redevelopment
- Has several old neighborhoods that are either planning to redevelop or redeveloping now as we speak, along with new districts being built or in plans to be built soon.
- Has what many consider one of the best downtown areas in the country
- Has one of the best museum districts in the country
- Has plenty of people with great ideas for future development

And yet....

- America as a whole barely recognizes us as our own city (if they even)
- Our public transportation compared with other major cities is a joke.
- City leaders who passed on federal grant money for the streetcar, now asking for MORE fed grant money on a commuter train, instead.
- Our skyline is pretty weak, especially for a city that size, the only saving grace is the fact that our 6 tallest buildings aren't ALL just a bunch of 4 sided blocks with no shapes carved into them.
- And we're being held back by people here who believe that thinking outside the box is a sin or just suggesting one small item to help us compete with the rest of the cities in America is "trying to be like Dallas".

Fort Worth could be even more that what it is now. Problem is, we have politics and too many "Bubbas" here who think Fort Worth is still a small town. It's sickening.
Was Ft. Worth that large before Dallas was? The problem, in my opinion, is Dallas. It would have been like Dallas-Houston population wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 14,727,564 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
- Atlanta: + 1,020,879 (24%)
- Houston: + 1,231,393 (26.1%)
- Dallas/Fort Worth: + 1,210,229 (23.4%)

Also Houston is now closer to Dallas/Fort Worth's metro population than its ever been in the last 25 years. The difference between their population was 8.3% in 2000 and now its 6.3%. Houston and Atlanta's metro populations used to be a lot closer in 2000 than they are now by both percentages and numbers.

- Austin: + 466,526 (37.3%)
- San Antonio: + 430,805 (25.2%)

San Antonio in the last decade surpassed Kansas City MSA, Cleveland MSA, Cincinnati MSA, San Jose MSA, Orlando MSA. And it's on que to surpassing Sacramento MSA by the end of next year and Portland MSA, with Pittsburgh MSA by the end of the decade. The reason I mention San Antonio is because its far from its potential for its size, unlike the rest of the Texas Triangle metro's it resembles Florida's metros more, not attracting enough balanced white collar jobs and needs to get away from the service industry more but gradually that's changing.

Census 2010 Offers Portrait of America in Transition | Newgeography.com

Here are the rest:

I think SA missed its boom. I think the cities that has made it big in the last 75 years invested in the city early on and have been reaping the benefits since then.

SA had the potential but squandered it on focusing mainly on tourism and military. I will tell you this, I would much rather live in SA of 1950 than SA of today. Look how many gorgeous old theaters are in SA but look how small the number of people patronizing them are. Look at the McNay Art Museum. Where are all the rich old ladies investing in the city by donating money to build the city up?

SA had the potential to become a really great city, but somewhere along the way something went wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 14,727,564 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Was Ft. Worth that large before Dallas was? The problem, in my opinion, is Dallas. It would have been like Dallas-Houston population wise.
They kinda grew up together, but Dallas out paced it for the first half of the last century.

In 1880 Dallas had about 10K people FW had 7K
In 1890 Dallas had 38K and FW had 23K
In 1910 Dallas had 90K and FW had 70K

From 1930 to 1980 Dallas just took off. FW has been catching up again since
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,435 posts, read 7,603,400 times
Reputation: 4734
Could you blame everything on Dallas? It seems perfectly reasonable (I've never been to Ft. Worth) that the city is smaller and doesn't have the things that Dallas have. If I were asked that question, I would give the blame to Dallas. But Ft. Worth still seems lucky to have what it has being so close to a large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX & Miami, FL
317 posts, read 85,404 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think SA missed its boom. I think the cities that has made it big in the last 75 years invested in the city early on and have been reaping the benefits since then.
I wouldn't say it missed its boom. Yes compared to Austin it hasn't performed as well as it could have but its still strong.

I mean look at last decade above metros with 1 million, it came in 9th right after Houston with a growth rate of 25.2% that's 1.2% higher than Atlanta and almost 2% higher than Dallas/Fort Worth. If San Antonio missed its boom, then I would hate to see what you have to say about Dallas in the last decade. Ironically though, back in the estimates when the Metroplex's numbers were overwhelmingly bloated it meant San Antonio was the slowest growing Texas Triangle city by both numbers and percentages.

In the next 30 years, its a given that Austin MSA will surpass San Antonio MSA, Austin unlike San Antonio has invested in industries, it has media, it has education, it has government (it's the capital), it has medical services (so does San Antonio), it has tech, and its got an overall supreme white collar base.

Give it time, San Antonio will grow into its own set of responsibilities but hey it does make the Texas Triangle stronger. There isn't any denying that, it just needs more white collar industries, its almost the same situation with every major metro in Florida. They need more than minimum wage jobs, they need a better corporate base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,516 posts, read 14,727,564 times
Reputation: 7231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
I wouldn't say it missed its boom. Yes compared to Austin it hasn't performed as well as it could have but its still strong.

I mean look at last decade above metros with 1 million, it came in 9th right after Houston with a growth rate of 25.2% that's 1.2% higher than Atlanta and almost 2% higher than Dallas/Fort Worth. If San Antonio missed its boom, then I would hate to see what you have to say about Dallas in the last decade. Ironically though, back in the estimates when the Metroplex's numbers were overwhelmingly bloated it meant San Antonio was the slowest growing Texas Triangle city by both numbers and percentages.

In the next 30 years, its a given that Austin MSA will surpass San Antonio MSA, Austin unlike San Antonio has invested in industries, it has media, it has education, it has government (it's the capital), it has medical services (so does San Antonio), it has tech, and its got an overall supreme white collar base.

Give it time, San Antonio will grow into its own set of responsibilities but hey it does make the Texas Triangle stronger. There isn't any denying that, it just needs more white collar industries, its almost the same situation with every major metro in Florida. They need more than minimum wage jobs, they need a better corporate base.
San Antonio's numbers are 4times less than DFW's. The percentage is higher because you are comparing metros that are greatly different in size.

SA will peak out soon. They missed their boom and the service industry will not support 400k growth for much longer. I would hate to see what would happen to SA if those military bases were to shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
9,499 posts, read 9,121,297 times
Reputation: 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Could you blame everything on Dallas? It seems perfectly reasonable (I've never been to Ft. Worth) that the city is smaller and doesn't have the things that Dallas have. If I were asked that question, I would give the blame to Dallas. But Ft. Worth still seems lucky to have what it has being so close to a large city.
I could blame Dallas for what we have (or should I say DON'T have) but it's only about 35% the reason why Fort Worth still hasn't reached its full potential.

The self marketing for our own city hasn't really happened until just recently with ESPN coming to Sundance Square and Fort Worth trying to real them in with a couple TCU home games and other events. It is hard to market yourself as your own city when the rest of the country is just convinced that we belong to Dallas, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
1,548 posts, read 640,862 times
Reputation: 953
I have a different take on the matter. While I love Portland, that city will only become a powerhouse when the unrecognized potential of the resident population catches up to the city.

It's hard to fathom a city having so little financial power when the bulk of it's population seems to be highly-educated. When more of the residents decide that earning a little money doesn't make them a bunch of evil sellouts, watch out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
10,435 posts, read 7,603,400 times
Reputation: 4734
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I could blame Dallas for what we have (or should I say DON'T have) but it's only about 35% the reason why Fort Worth still hasn't reached its full potential.

The self marketing for our own city hasn't really happened until just recently with ESPN coming to Sundance Square and Fort Worth trying to real them in with a couple TCU home games and other events. It is hard to market yourself as your own city when the rest of the country is just convinced that we belong to Dallas, ya know?
I understand. I once thought Dallas and Ft. Worth were pretty much the same city, never realized how far apart they are compared to what I thought the distance was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
9,499 posts, read 9,121,297 times
Reputation: 4019
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I understand. I once thought Dallas and Ft. Worth were pretty much the same city, never realized how far apart they are compared to what I thought the distance was.
Oh you have no idea....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top