U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-13-2011, 09:58 PM

135 posts, read 227,611 times

Advertisements

With all the terrible natural disasters in the news these days, I'm growing more and more concerned about being safe from floods, tsunamis, earthquakes and other natural perils. Where do you think we are safest from such disasters in America?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,535,636 times
Probably in the middle of the country, which is also the most boring place in the entire nation IMO. Sometimes you just have to take chances and worrying about natural disasters is kind've like a paranoia problem.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:49 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,285,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
Probably in the middle of the country, which is also the most boring place in the entire nation IMO. Sometimes you just have to take chances and worrying about natural disasters is kind've like a paranoia problem.
What a dumb generalization. I lived in a large Colorado city for 10 years, snuggled right up to the mountains, which was neither boring nor in danger of any natural disasters.

Hurricanes- obviously not. This one's self-explanatory.
Tornadoes- not where I lived...was close enough to the mountains to avoid them.
Earthquakes- nope, not near a faultline.
Floods- doesn't rain enough!
Tsunamis- again, self-explanatory
Blizzards/Freezing Rain- none this year.
Fire- only in a severe drought year, but it's rare to have major wildfires.

Think I covered it! There are areas in the "boring middle of the country", perhaps more in the midwest, that have major flooding problems.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM

13,473 posts, read 14,969,563 times
So you people in Colorado are not worried about Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming?

Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 PM

3,732 posts, read 4,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
What a dumb generalization. I lived in a large Colorado city for 10 years, snuggled right up to the mountains, which was neither boring nor in danger of any natural disasters.

Hurricanes- obviously not. This one's self-explanatory.
Tornadoes- not where I lived...was close enough to the mountains to avoid them.
Earthquakes- nope, not near a faultline.
Floods- doesn't rain enough!
Tsunamis- again, self-explanatory
Blizzards/Freezing Rain- none this year.
Fire- only in a severe drought year, but it's rare to have major wildfires.

Think I covered it! There are areas in the "boring middle of the country", perhaps more in the midwest, that have major flooding problems.
You basically proved what I said though. Ok, where you lived might not have been boring in your opinion, but it's also one of the least prone areas.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 7,360,922 times
Yellowstone can and will be a major hazard, but the odds are slim. We are talking intervals of 1-2 million year events.

The midwest is actually in a window of 200-400 years with the New Madrid fault. A serious quake there would effect much of the midsouth and midwest, certainly Memphis, St. Louis, and beyond.

My understanding is the inland areas of Southern Oregon may be the safest from natural disasters. Few quakes, outside the tsunami zone, no floods, no tornadoes, no hurricanes. Medford, OR anyone?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,285,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
You basically proved what I said though. Ok, where you lived might not have been boring in your opinion, but it's also one of the least prone areas.
Ohh, so you're saying that having the lack of natural disasters makes a place boring Got it.

And Colorado isn't the midwest..although I didn't know that about the San Madrid fault in the area...I interpret the question more about annual disaster danger, like hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding etc.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 PM

292 posts, read 372,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Yellowstone can and will be a major hazard, but the odds are slim. We are talking intervals of 1-2 million year events.

The midwest is actually in a window of 200-400 years with the New Madrid fault. A serious quake there would effect much of the midsouth and midwest, certainly Memphis, St. Louis, and beyond.

My understanding is the inland areas of Southern Oregon may be the safest from natural disasters. Few quakes, outside the tsunami zone, no floods, no tornadoes, no hurricanes. Medford, OR anyone?
I was thinking of same thing! Southern Oregon and Northern California (Redding) seemed to be the safest area to be in. Nothing, earthquake is a MAYBE, it is surrounded by solid mountains (no lava underneath it unlike volcano mountains), it is well protected areas. Eastern Oregon gets my vote too. Nevada too.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:09 PM

637 posts, read 802,150 times
I would say the far north of Minnesota. Though they get a lot of snow. Maybe the Appalachians? Or Vermont..

Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 PM

6,683 posts, read 3,646,709 times
AZ...NM pretty safe also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City