Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2011, 11:33 PM

33 posts, read 56,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
How? Majority of Black people living in 1860 were slaves.

And I never said I respected states rights. In fact, I am highly critical of states rights. I don't trust them because of the history of the South.
Cool!

How do you feel about abortion?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
I never said the North didn't get rich. My point was that the "right" to keep slavery was one of the main reasons the Southern states wanted to secede, and if the North was going to invade the South, I'm glad it happened.
Ah.

So the merchants of the East India Trading Company who lived in Manhattan and technically didn't own slaves are okie dokie in your book? They bought the southern plantations, hired the "Statesmen" to run them and buy they slaves they picked out, but you have no problem here?

Where do you think the money to build all those mansions came from and why do almost all of them have lineage to the famous families from the north?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The thing is there is inaccurate labeling, which leads to inaccurate perceptions of slavery and it's impact on our country. The term "African-American" is a misleading label, because in fact pretty much every so called AA is actually mulatto to varying degrees, which is why there are so many different shades. So no black American with distant familial roots in America can say with certainty that they would have been a slave back in the day, because they have the blood of the victims and the villans that created this country all the same. I'm a light-skinned black American, and my roots were recently traced back to a scottish carribean slave trader named Cpt. William Douglas. The offspring he had with my african ancestors whom he dealt with, along with generations of interracial breeding, produced a new type of uniquely American mulatto that we know today as African-Americans. My familial history is not that unique, and is how most so called AA's came to be who they are and how they look. The average AA is a uniqely American product, who would be just as out of place in modern day Africa as they would be in Europe.

In any case, slavery was bad, played a major role in making America what it is today, but is now over, so moving on.......
I'd like to add that slavery is still alive and well in Africa. Dark skinned slaveowners working dark skinned slaves. But let's make this all about race.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:17 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,961 times
Quote:
I never said the North didn't get rich. My point was that the "right" to keep slavery was one of the main reasons the Southern states wanted to secede, and if the North was going to invade the South, I'm glad it happened.
Firstly I'm not an apologists or in any way say the South was right. To me it was an epic fail on both sides. I don't recall the Feds ever trying to buy off the plantation owners and refund thier money for slave purchases....what the heck the Feds subsidize farms like crazy nowadays.

The puzzling thing is also "Why didn't the South just give the slaves say, a nickel a day...pay em. There were no federal minimum wage laws back then and this by and in itself leads one to believe it wasn't simply over slavery but state's rights.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveTheChain View Post
Remember that when your northern welfare state results in a similar invasion from southern blacks not too happy with their status as slaves to the state.
I live in the South.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:29 AM

Quote:
How do you know you'd be a slave if you were alive in 1860? Were you born free? Oh, are you saying that nobody born black in the South was free? That's the wonderful ignorance talking.

Now born and partly raised up north I got the formal education in how the south was racist and that's why the 89% white zip codes up north got to ridicule them. Then I moved down here and found out that it's hard to be racist when the E/R doctor is black and drives a Mercedes. I agree that slavery and mandated segregation were horrible. However self segregation isn't all that great either. At least down south the imbeciles have the courtesy of putting a rebel flag out front to let people know. God forbid some active duty Army Ranger attending the funeral of a departed brother walk into the wrong Denny's in Scranton or Berkeley if he happens to be black. Doubly so if he's in Berkeley, black and in uniform.
I don't know. I think there are many people in the South who find it very easy to be racist. And as for the rebel flag, if I didn't see another rebel flag flying in view, I would be very happy. In fact, in my high school, Dixie Outfitter shirts were banned in 2001. I remember that day because I was happy about it.

And I would not know what it's like to be Black in Berkeley. I haven't heard anything bad about being Black in Berkeley.

Now, where I lived, in Paulding County, there were some serious issues with racism. I actually had some crazy things happen to me out there. In fact, I don't like going to certain places because of harrassment I have dealt with. When I was walking down the road to go to the store, some men in their trucks screamed the "n" word at me. And this happened more than once, from different people. One person pointed a BB gun at me while I was walking home. I can remember times in high school where some kids would makes threats to "lynch me" or "hang me by a noose". I have run into some very racist people in the South.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Firstly I'm not an apologists or in any way say the South was right. To me it was an epic fail on both sides. I don't recall the Feds ever trying to buy off the plantation owners and refund thier money for slave purchases....what the heck the Feds subsidize farms like crazy nowadays.

The puzzling thing is also "Why didn't the South just give the slaves say, a nickel a day...pay em. There were no federal minimum wage laws back then and this by and in itself leads one to believe it wasn't simply over slavery but state's rights.
But still, when Lincoln was elected, why all of a sudden were there politicians standing up and openly admitting they wanted to keep slavery around?

Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
A little cultural history tour up and down the Mississippi would give you some insight into that. Things weren't nearly as bad in the south until the righteous indignation got seeded. So now there are few places in Atlanta and virtually no place in New Orleans, Memphis, or St. Louis you can't go. Des Moines? Well let's just say that they aren't all that used to people of any color other than white there.

Yeah so much better, no racist problem because everyone is white.

Respect!
What do you mean a historical tour?

Are you trying to imply that race relations were better in the South than anywhere else? I'm not buying that. I speak from my own personal experiences. I could give you details of what I went through, but I want to keep this brief.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I live in the South.
Oops. Right there on the right side of your postbit too.

Anyway, the point is still valid in concept. Lots of people are getting wary of government programs being used as shackles.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post

I think the issue was that one cannot pay property and a hired worker cannot be forced to stay on a piece of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City