Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 01:59 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,719,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
washington DC and Miami are southern geographically and that's about it. They are in no way shape or form "southern" other perhaps a slight twang in their accents.

Also who is doing these sexy rankings? could you do a ranking on something more subjective?

besides you can have a lot of sexy young women, but if they're all obese by the time they're 30 who cares?

unbelievable. I cannot believe that in the most fit state in the country nearly a fifth of the people are obese! and one in three people in Mississippi are obese?!?!?!

Mind boggling.

totally agree, this whole country has a problem... not just the south.
The absence or presence of southern culture is subjective as well...

Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,297,575 times
the thing I notice around here (Louisiana) is that obesity doesnt necessarily mean "fat". It simply means overweight. A lot of people have some extra weight and a pot belly, but arent what Id call morbidly obese. they are just above the average weight for their frame. My parents are like this. you could hardly call them fat, but they are definitely a bit overweight. Seeing someone grossly overweight to the point of looking morbidly obese is still fairly uncommon. In any case, believe me when I say there are still lots of ridiculously hot cajun women down here. Especially if they have that little southern accent. good God.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,996,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The absence or presence of southern culture is subjective as well...
did i say the south didn't have culture???

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
the thing I notice around here (Louisiana) is that obesity doesnt necessarily mean "fat". It simply means overweight. A lot of people have some extra weight and a pot belly, but arent what Id call morbidly obese. they are just above the average weight for their frame. My parents are like this. you could hardly call them fat, but they are definitely a bit overweight. Seeing someone grossly overweight to the point of looking morbidly obese is still fairly uncommon. In any case, believe me when I say there are still lots of ridiculously hot cajun women down here. Especially if they have that little southern accent. good God.
Obesity is not "some extra weight"...it's an excessive amount of body fat. The definition is the same everywhere.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,183,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
I don't consider it pointless when referring to the union as the north discredits the role of southerners in the union victory. The union did not consist of northern states and the south southern states. The union consisted of all states. Again, it was not a few southerners that joined the union army. It was a substantial number that had a significant role in the union victory, including high ranking military officers and even the U.S. President. I am trying to be historically correct. I am not sure what political correctness has to do with the argument.
+1 Your arguments and the reasons for them are coherent to me and most likely most others monitoring this inane thread.

[BTW - Once I realize I'm arguing with a doornob, I usually stop.]

Old 04-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
did i say the south didn't have culture???
No, you didn't...did I insinuate that's what you said?

You stated your opinion about areas that are definitvely not southern as a fact, then went on to point out the subjectivity of something else. I was simply commenting that the absence or presence of southern culture (southern-ness) is also subjective.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:47 PM

2,471 posts, read 3,996,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
No, you didn't...did I insinuate that's what you said?

You stated your opinion about areas that are definitvely not southern as a fact, then went on to point out the subjectivity of something else. I was simply commenting that the absence or presence of southern culture (southern-ness) is also subjective.
oh okay fair enough, had no idea what you were referring to.

and while it's subjective i really don't think that anyone would call either d.c. or miami truly representative of southern culture.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:10 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,250,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
I don't consider it pointless when referring to the union as the north discredits the role of southerners in the union victory. The union did not consist of northern states and the south southern states. The union consisted of all states. Again, it was not a few southerners that joined the union army. It was a substantial number that had a significant role in the union victory, including high ranking military officers and even the U.S. President. I am trying to be historically correct. I am not sure what political correctness has to do with the argument.
the majority of people say it was between the north and south. it's informal talk. i'm well aware of the what the union and confederacy were, and also well aware of the fact that people crossed the mason dixon in support of either government as i've visited samuel cooper's grave long before this thread began.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
oh okay fair enough, had no idea what you were referring to.

and while it's subjective i really don't think that anyone would call either d.c. or miami truly representative of southern culture.
That's quite a different statement from "They are in no way, shape, or form southern...". I would agree that neither is truly representative of southern culture, but that can apparently be said for other areas of the South as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:28 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,250,354 times
the culture of dc isn't as southern as places like atlanta but it's definitely more southern than places like ny or philly. northern virginia is southern though. the layout, architecture, scenery, history, and u.s. census all point to the south. almost all residential development here is mostly brick, one of the major roadways around here is lee highway which goes into arlington, there is a southern twang here (minus the transplants), and the new satellite city style development is definitely more of a southern phenomenon than northern.

plus the confederate cemeteries

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City