Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:48 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Aside from the obvious predominance of Philadelphia over Camden city, how do the two counties otherwise compare in terms of standard of living, vibrancy, attractiveness, friendliness.etc? How does say Cherry Hill compare to a comparable neighbourhood on the Pennsylvania side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Aside from the obvious predominance of Philadelphia over Camden city, how do the two counties otherwise compare in terms of standard of living, vibrancy, attractiveness, friendliness.etc? How does say Cherry Hill compare to a comparable neighbourhood on the Pennsylvania side?
My dad lives in Cherry Hill, and for a time I went to Pennsauken HS, right across the bridge in Camden Co. I was born in Philly and grew up mostly on the PA side, and imo, Jersey sucks in general. Nowadays I only go there for the shore, and to see my dad. Philly obviously trumps Camden, so this comes down to a suburban battle, and the PA burbs are easily nicer than their Jersey counterparts. Don't get me wrong, Jersey has some really nice areas, but the place is just so mean to poor people, that it's not very attractive to young people on the come-up. I quess KoP and it's surrounding area would be PA's equivalent to CH, but Jersey has no answer for places like Chestnit Hill, Media, and the MainLine. SJ's main problem is that they have too many highways, and not enough public transit, so it's developement tends to be more sprawling and less pedestrian friendly.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 AM

383 posts, read 1,315,569 times
why would you wanna go to camden??? it sucks over there. last year it was like the most violent city in america. thats like saying "which is better to live Northeast philly or Crown Heights, Brooklyn?"
To get back to the subject, philly wins hands down. Philly might have horrible areas also, but Camden is just............... philly wins.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
This comparison doesn't really make sense. Philadelphia County is coterminous with the city (in other words, Philadelphia County is Philadelphia). Camden County, on the other hand, is just the suburbs, not including Camden (city), which is just a very small portion of it. So unless you are trying to compare suburban neighborhoods within the city of Philadelphia to the various townships, boroughs, etc. of Camden County, I don't really understand what you are trying to ask.

I will say this: To be honest, you wouldn't even realize Camden (city) was in Camden County if it weren't for the news. It has zero impact on life except if you want to go to a Riversharks game or go to a concert at Tweeter Center (or w.e it's called now). Also, killakoolaide, I disagree with most of what you said haha.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:27 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
why would you wanna go to camden??? it sucks over there. last year it was like the most violent city in america. thats like saying "which is better to live Northeast philly or Crown Heights, Brooklyn?"
To get back to the subject, philly wins hands down. Philly might have horrible areas also, but Camden is just............... philly wins.
Camden COUNTY. Not just the city

The comparison is whack none the less. I personally thnk Camden County is, ehh, it's just bland. Cherry Hill is decent, but the rest of the county isi just straight up sprawl. Camden (the city), well, it's pretty horrendous.
I'm not a big fan of the Philly burbs in NJ at all to be quite honest, it's just flat, sprawly, and full of farms. I REALLY do like the town of Collingswood though.
Philadelphia county wins hands down, but that's not saying much.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:21 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
if it were city vs city, then philadelphia would win hands down completely. County v county is a lot harder because camden county is mainly suburbs. It has some very nice suburbs, and is a lot different than philly. But id say philly county wins because though it has bad areas, the rest of PHiladelphia makes up for it. It would make more sense if you said Delaware county v camden county. though delaware would still win.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
and full of farms
This is really just a preconceived notion that North Jersey people have of South Jersey. Besides preserved open space here and there, there aren't any farms near my parents' house for at least 25 minutes around. Now, once you go north into Burlington County or east past Berlin going towards the Pine Barrens (a natural gem of NJ partially in Camden County), that is a different story.

People are saying Camden County is very sprawly, which is definitely true. However, there are many towns with very nice Main Streets/downtowns such as Haddonfield and Collingswood, among others. In general, public transit sucks, but the PATCO Speedline is very good. I disagree that it isn't a good place for young couples - it's a great place to raise a family. Also, pretty much any restaurant or store you could ever want to go to is within a 5-15 minute drive. There are several very good golf courses/ country clubs in Camden County, including Pine Valley of course. And if you want to go to the city, in many cases you can honestly get into Center City faster than some parts of far-out Philly, if that makes any sense.

All that said, I obviously have to vote for Philadelphia County.... because it's Philly...

Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Camden County is one of several suburban counties that surround the city of Philadelphia which occupies all of Philadelphia county.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times

Old 04-16-2011, 10:25 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
if it were city vs city, then philadelphia would win hands down completely. County v county is a lot harder because camden county is mainly suburbs. It has some very nice suburbs, and is a lot different than philly. But id say philly county wins because though it has bad areas, the rest of PHiladelphia makes up for it. It would make more sense if you said Delaware county v camden county. though delaware would still win.
I think the PA suburbs of Philly are a little better than the South Jersey suburbs. A better comparison would be Camden County vs. Atlantic County, or even Atlantic City vs Camden(city).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City