Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:13 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times

Advertisements

The new Ohio plates are the worst. They look like a scene on the side of a Country Crock container.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 12:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalArmy View Post
Personally I think any state that puts their government website at the top.
Agree. I liked the old Florida license plate but since they change to myflorida.com, I think thats the tackiest thing. Florida takes the cake for the worst license plate in the nation, with Kentucky and New York close behind it.

I don't get why states have to change perfectly good plates. The old Texas plate with the space shuttle and the cowboy was fine. The one one isn't that bad but the old one was still better. The old New York plate was fine and shouldn't have been changed. The new "retro" plate was a horrible idea.

Last edited by bchris02; 05-15-2011 at 12:54 PM..

Old 05-15-2011, 08:54 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,578,834 times
There are just too damn many different license plates now. Too hard to keep track of all the different designs, and all the changes every few years.

It used to be that states would pick their colors... and if they needed a change, they'd just reverse the colors. Not all this "special" b.s. with the choose-your-own artwork and stuff.

The recent NY plates were perfectly designed to overcome the regional animosities over the Liberty plate. You had NYC, you had Niagara (which is always visual shorthand for "the other end of the state"), and you had the mountains. Plus, the colors were relaxed and nice, if a little dull. What cracks me up is that when you renew your registration, the state gives you the option of paying X amount of dollars to keep your old existing plate (you know, the nice one with the scenery), versus the option of paying twice as much so that you can get the new Empire Gold plate instead. What? Who would pay more to have the Empire Gold one?!?

I'm late to this thread, but just want to say that the Oklahoma "Native America" plate is beautiful and inspiring.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 05-15-2011 at 09:03 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
I think California. Do you want to know why? To bad if you don't. Because the standard California license plate is just California in cursive. It makes no sense because every other state has at least one decoration. Think about it California is an amazing state and all but the license plates are so boring. They could at least put something that has to do with these following items. Big Sur, the beach, the redwoods, the golden gate bridge. So many things you can put but California is so boring.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:39 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
I rather like the California license plate. It's kind of like, "California--'Nuff said," without even needing to articulate the latter portion.
Agreed.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:44 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I like the ones with the heron in the water and the farm.

The War of 1812 Anniversary plate is okay.

If it were up to me, I would issue out four new Maryland tags.

The first one would have the Baltimore skyline as a background with the state flag waving behind it. Thought about adding fireworks, but idk, probably might make it a bit tacky.

The second one would have two great symbols of the Eastern Shore illustrated on it, the Ocean City Boardwalk on one side and the Assateague Island wild ponies galloping majestically along the Atlantic shoreline on the other with the State shield in the middle.

The third can have the Main Street of Downtown Frederick in the foreground and the large Appalachian Mountains passing through in the backdrop in an Autumn setting. Titled America in Miniature in cursive

And the fourth would have an illustration of the Bay Bridge with both a Sailboat and a Naval warship crossing each other's paths in the foreground. Showcasing the devout maritime culture and history Maryland has towards the Chesapeake Bay and the Navy.

So, what do you guys think?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Texas *now* has the worst license plate of any state in the nation, hands down.

Currently, Arizona and South Carolina have the prettiest license plates. However, the old-style South Carolina license plate (*Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places*) was, arguably, the prettiest US state license plate ever.

South Carolina doesn't do much right, but they sure do know how to design license plates!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Texas *now* has the worst license plate of any state in the nation, hands down.

Currently, Arizona and South Carolina have the prettiest license plates. However, the old-style South Carolina license plate (*Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places*) was, arguably, the prettiest US state license plate ever.

South Carolina doesn't do much right, but they sure do know how to design license plates!
Its just a basic black & white plate who cares.

Texas has some of the best custom plates of any state if that's your thing. I have yet to see another state with as many custom plates as Texas has. For a small fee you can customize it any way you like.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its just a basic black & white plate who cares.

Texas has some of the best custom plates of any state if that's your thing. I have yet to see another state with as many custom plates as Texas has. For a small fee you can customize it any way you like.
Yeah, but I'm guessing a plurality of Texas motorists probably can't afford to customize their license plates, since most can even afford to insure their vehicles. So at that point, who cares how many different custom designs are offered?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:22 AM

739 posts, read 1,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Yeah, but I'm guessing a plurality of Texas motorists probably can't afford to customize their license plates, since most can even afford to insure their vehicles. So at that point, who cares how many different custom designs are offered?
That's not true 8t032.. hush ...just rolling out your opinion like it's fact. There are those that choose to have personalized plates. Again it's about preferences.

As far as the style, I like the black and white ones.

Now this style:

I hate(d).

It looks like a decal sticker to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City