Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall Best Great Lake
Lake Superior 41 29.50%
Lake Ontario 15 10.79%
Lake Erie 21 15.11%
Lake Michigan 56 40.29%
Lake Huron 6 4.32%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 06:32 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,158 times

Advertisements

I like Lake Michigan the best. Has some of the greatest sandy beaches in our state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:59 PM

18 posts, read 36,858 times
Michigan is nice because of its cities and beaches, but Superior is king.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:24 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,150 times
Wisconsin's entire eastern border is Lake Michigan, and part of the northern border is Lake Superior. Both are stunningly beautiful, but my preference is Michigan. Lake Superior is so imposing and cold - Michigan is also imposing, but a little warmer.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,235,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostSecularist View Post
Which is the Best Great Lake, in terms of

Favorite (or most scenic):
Cleanest or least polluted:
Economically important to Canada and/or USA:
The cities along the lake:
and Overall:
Favorite: Lake Superior
Most scenic: Lake Superior
Cleanest: Lake Superior
Economically important to Canada: Lake Ontario
Economically important to the USA: Lake Michigan
The cities along the lake: Lake Michigan

Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 PM

352 posts, read 1,003,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Lake Superior...

Because it's superior!
Lol of course it is

Quote:
It seems Lake Huron is the least known lake, but somehow I feel it must carry some big merrits that are just not on the radar. I'd love somebody to chime in on Lake Huron.
I'm sure it is; looking at the map, Huron doesn't have many big cities along it. Sarnia looks like it's the biggest town on the lake. I would like to have some thoughts on Huron too.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
Huron has some nice beaches. My favorite is Michigan, though. Erie is my second. The "best" though, that's Superior! So clean! So vast! So gorgeous!

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Lake Erie is warmest for swimming. Although by August it gets to feeling like bathwater sometimes.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
I'm not sure the relevance, but I think Lake Superior's shape is much more intriguing. It strikes me as being wild and dangerous with a beastly presence that will not be tamed.

OTOH, for some sub-conscious reason that I can't (or won't) put my fingers on, Lake Michigan seems limp and flaccid and really doesn't do much to offer up any inspiration.

Last edited by Ghengis; 04-22-2011 at 08:21 AM..

Old 04-22-2011, 01:51 PM

5,885 posts, read 6,085,926 times
I went to Lake Superior for the first time last summer (late August) and it was gorgeous. From the lakes I've visited (Huron, Superior and Ontario), I would say Superior is the most scenic hands down.

The waves were huge too. They can get quite big on Lake Ontario, but on Lake Superior they were always big and often just huge. Most of the time, they were the same size as they were when I went to Britanny, France, Cape Cod or British Columbia...

The locals refer to its shore as the "coast", and the area away from the shore as "inland". Some of the people I've met there say they get their drinking water straight from the lake, without treating it, so it's very clean. Last summer I was lucky too, the water was actually pretty warm, around 20C. And it's not just the waves... there are some very nice steep green hills and cliffs, Sleeping Giant and sandy beaches.

As for lake Huron, I've been to it quite a few times, it doesn't have any significant cities but it does have natural beauty and nice beaches. Google Killarney, Wasaga Beach, Sauble Beach, Flowerpot Islands, 30000 islands, killbear park, North Channel.

I should really go to Lake Erie though, it's a shame I haven't been after living only a few hours away for 20 years... Long Point and Point Pelee are supposed to be quite nice.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:17 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,649 times
Lake Superior has more water volume than all the other lakes combined plus an additional three lake Eries, it's practically a mini-ocean, it's just huge. I've been to all of the great lakes and Superior definitely tops them all in my opinion, it's simply gorgeous. However the 30,000 island region of Lake Huron is very nice also.

Sorry Lake Erie, I love ya, but the algae and pollution is a bit of a turn off, though I'd sooner swim there than Lake Michigan if it's anywhere near Chicago.

Another cool thing about Superior is the Book Across the Bay, a yearly event every February where thousands of people ski and snowshoe across 10 miles of frozen Lake Superior. Really cool!

Lake Erie is undoubtedly the most economically important lake though, with more large cities (both US and Canadian) located on it than anywhere else.

For your criteria:
Favorite (or most scenic): Superior (Huron runner up)
Cleanest or least polluted: Superior
Economically important to Canada and/or USA: Erie
The cities along the lake: Detroit (okay, it's on lake St. Claire, but close enough), Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo, London ON
and Overall: Superior (it's just superior )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City