U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM

5,296 posts, read 4,988,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Ireland too. My husband is from Dublin Ireland and he and his dad both use reckon quite a bit. He does say "youse" alot
Isn't that more of a northern thing than an Irish thing?

Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,589,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Isn't that more of a northern thing than an Irish thing?
Apparently not since he has never lived there.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Apparently not since he has never lived there.
Because 'youse' is something that is usually associated with NY or Philly.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,589,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Because 'youse' is something that is usually associated with NY or Philly.
I understand that but my husband has never lived in either area. He has only lived here in Kentucky since moving from Ireland 6 years ago. I am guessing that the youse thing was brought over from the Irish.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:55 PM

14 posts, read 45,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
You do realize that many people in Northern Virginia and D.C. believe that your Leesburg, VA is "hick country".
Last time I checked Sterling, Leesurg, and Tysons were all suburbs of DC. And most ppl in SE,NW, and SW DC are too dumb to realize any different.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 PM

694 posts, read 1,986,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinsburgGUy02 View Post
Last time I checked Sterling, Leesurg, and Tysons were all suburbs of DC. And most ppl in SE,NW, and SW DC are too dumb to realize any different.
Eh, Tysons is pretty close to DC. Sterling is more farther outward. Leesburg is a pretty good distance out, and was horse/farm country up until a few years ago when the DC sprawl grew into that area.

You are right. Leesburg is a DC suburb or exurb, but it doesn't feel great to be called a "hick" now does it?

Last edited by tenken627; 02-27-2008 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 63,707 times
Northeastern Pennsylvania has some frightening territory. All you have to do is start in Stroudsburg, and it's like, "OK, small town, not too exciting, but it has a mall and the Sherman Theatre; a music store and a university." But pick a small state road like 715 or 209, drive for maybe a half-an-hour or maybe even ten minutes, and you will find some SCARY towns.

Jonas: a bit of a ways from Effort, PA, all it has is miles of farmland and fields, and the ****ty Jonas Hotel.

Meckesville: A bit of a distance from Jonas, driving to/through it at night is SCARY. I think the population may be even less than 230; full of mountain people and no discernible places of establishment other than living communities.

Saylorsburg/Sciota: Seems to be the biker capital of the Poconos. And it doesn't have the goatee-sporting bald bikers with New York accents that you might see on TV, but the true-to-the-bone redneck hooligans.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Northeastern Pennsylvania has some frightening territory. All you have to do is start in Stroudsburg, and it's like, "OK, small town, not too exciting, but it has a mall and the Sherman Theatre; a music store and a university." But pick a small state road like 715 or 209, drive for maybe a half-an-hour or maybe even ten minutes, and you will find some SCARY towns.

Jonas: a bit of a ways from Effort, PA, all it has is miles of farmland and fields, and the ****ty Jonas Hotel.

Meckesville: A bit of a distance from Jonas, driving to/through it at night is SCARY. I think the population may be even less than 230; full of mountain people and no discernible places of establishment other than living communities.

Saylorsburg/Sciota: Seems to be the biker capital of the Poconos. And it doesn't have the goatee-sporting bald bikers with New York accents that you might see on TV, but the true-to-the-bone redneck hooligans.
Well there's certainly plenty of goatee-sporting bald bikers in the rest of Pennsylvania,I've seen 'em from border to border! I think PA might be the biker capital of the country! Oh and there's hooligans all over the state also,starting with the raising of the kids

As far as northeastern PA,when I lived up near WilkesBarre it was kind of creepy. Kind of like that movie 'Children of the Corn' without the corn
The adults were nowhere to be found and the kids would run roughshod all over!

Also when I was up there,there were rumours about wandering off the country roads. You might end up in someone's dirt driveway with a rifle aimed at you

As far as the areas you mentioned,some aren't as bad as you'd think.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,373 times
I am saddened that you speak in this manner towards another American who uses an accent different from the "proper' English language. I think you and I can both agree that you do not speak the Queen's language and any version is an incorrect dialect. I happen to be fascinated by the different twists and the Schuyler ignorant speech as you call it happens to be much much closer to the original than the haughty adopted Northern VA version and absolutely charming I might add. Maybe you should take a trip to the mother land!!!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:49 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,371,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammio View Post
I am saddened that you speak in this manner towards another American who uses an accent different from the "proper' English language. I think you and I can both agree that you do not speak the Queen's language and any version is an incorrect dialect. I happen to be fascinated by the different twists and the Schuyler ignorant speech as you call it happens to be much much closer to the original than the haughty adopted Northern VA version and absolutely charming I might add. Maybe you should take a trip to the mother land!!!
awesome post, rep points given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or