Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM

2,757 posts, read 5,614,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I hear you but be careful what you wish for because you could end up in an even worse area
I'm moving back the city, any city. These people are living stereotypes.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 PM

835 posts, read 2,296,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
Sorry East Tennesseans (excluding Knoxville and the college towns) but most of the towns here are scary. The people here say tar for tire, far for fire, awl for oil and instead of saying y'all (or you all) they say youns or something. I was watching the local news here and they actually had a story on incest aka inbreeding. Something tells me that they do stories like this often. They said that incest in east TN is 8 times higher than the national average. I can't wait to get outta here.
I don't think there's anything wrong or hillbilly having an accent.
Did you mean it like that?

Old 04-29-2008, 11:47 PM

461 posts, read 1,446,197 times
Back to the OP, I went to Cobleskill NY once..... yikes. A McDonalds (of course),Jamesway, biker bar and pizza place. All the teenagers hung out at the courtroom (in a storefront of a strip mall... but I think everything else was closed, there might have been a laundrymat) on weekends. Seriously terrifying, I met a girl there who would ask what you thought everything (her car, her shoes...) cost then say "nope, $10 and a blow job" She was like 350 pounds too.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 PM

148 posts, read 470,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
There's Amish towns in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania that are almost completely removed from society. And then inbreeding goes on among the Fumdamentalist LDS communities that practice polygamy, especially in Hildale, Utah and Colorado City, Arizona.
HAHAHA! So true, so true. As we have all seen on the news over the last month with that Fundy fundamentalist LDS compound in Texas. Just look at what passes for women on that compound. GIANT troglodyte/neanderthal foreheads with those droopy faces and the teeth. Oh God, the teeth. They all have that Rachel Dratch from Saturday Night Live look:

Rachel Dratch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 PM

148 posts, read 470,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar10 View Post
Pennsylvania has a lot of hillbilly areas. Go to a county fair in western/central PA and they come out in packs.

Also, i've heard of a midget town outside of Philly that has only midgets in it living in small houses, and if you drive there to check it out, they'll throw rocks at your car. Never seen it, but i've heard about it.
Urban Legend. This one comes up EVERYWHERE. Apparently there are multiple ones all over Southern California, but no one has ever seen it firsthand, only been told about it. And it's always in a different city or location.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:53 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Have you ever been to North Platte Nebraska.Its a little city of 20,000 in the middle of nowhere,and alot of it is really hick.
I would have to agree. I worked on a project out there once for a couple weeks. The town itself has all the basic services you would need, but the locals I worked with really seemed to be out of touch. (No offense to any North Platters out there)!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:56 PM

5,951 posts, read 13,032,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
HAHAHA! So true, so true. As we have all seen on the news over the last month with that Fundy fundamentalist LDS compound in Texas. Just look at what passes for women on that compound. GIANT troglodyte/neanderthal foreheads with those droopy faces and the teeth. Oh God, the teeth. They all have that Rachel Dratch from Saturday Night Live look:

Rachel Dratch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hey lets not pick on Rachel Dratch. Shes only plain looking compared to other celebrities. If she was the girl next door, she'd be cute.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,167,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Have you ever been to North Platte Nebraska.Its a little city of 20,000 in the middle of nowhere,and alot of it is really hick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I would have to agree. I worked on a project out there once for a couple weeks. The town itself has all the basic services you would need, but the locals I worked with really seemed to be out of touch. (No offense to any North Platters out there)!
Maybe so, but it's not a scary, hillbilly town. It's another outpost on I-80.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,890,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
Urban Legend. This one comes up EVERYWHERE. Apparently there are multiple ones all over Southern California, but no one has ever seen it firsthand, only been told about it. And it's always in a different city or location.
Ya, I've also heard this about albinos too. It is ridiculous anyone believes this. I mean cmon, if a tribe of little people threw rocks at you you'd take your buddies to see it, right? and then they'd show more people....

needless to say eventually some big folks would want in on that funky gulliver's travels ****.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:56 PM

191 posts, read 806,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdalton View Post
I have relatives outside of Uniontown, Pa and we have to pass through a town called Point Marion. I recall filling my car up at the local gas station (it's no longer there) and the locals just kind of creeped me out. Also the town looks like something from the Wild West. The way they drove in that area was weird too. For a rural area, they are very aggressive when driving. But once we got to Uniontown (12 miles away) it was normal. It should be noted that although Point Marion is 2 miles from the WV border, a state mentioned in the original post, Point Marion is nothing like the area it borders. Point Marion is its own world.
In April 2002 I was on my way to my girlfriend's house near Greensburg, PA and I saw a florist shop in Point Marion and asked them to make me a flower arrangement for her. While they made it I walked around the town and never felt scared. I think that so many people on here, like the post above, are so afraid of people who are different from them. The people in Point Marion are not like the Crips and Bloods who really are scary. They are just small town mountain people. Which Markdalton and so many of you from the perfect suburbs are scared of for some reason. So they don't look like the well groomed people on sitcoms or at your suburban mall? They are just your fellow humans - get over it. And so markdalton filled up his car in Point Marion. So he was there for, what, four minutes? Oh yeah, you can really form an accurate judgement of a town in four minutes.

I have searched for hard evidence of contemporary Appalachian inbreeding, and the evidence just isn't very plentiful. This is mostly a myth in the year 2008. Like the snake handling churches, it does exist, but is rare. As a matter of fact, I can only name one ALLEGED instance of inbreeding in WV, and this is in Odd, WV. But many people enjoy the idea that there might be inbreds in them there hills - it's exotic and dramatic and colorful - so the myth is perpetuated. Just like when I go to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and I know deep down that the mafia isn't really there anymore, but it's fun to imagine it is. So I let my imagination run away with me - just like so many people on this thread. But, besides the blue Fugates, do any of you have actual facts on inbreeding in Appalachia?

The bottom line is that this thread is mostly uninformed snobbishness.

Last edited by italianbluesboy; 05-25-2008 at 10:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.