U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 07:26 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,186,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
In April 2002 I was on my way to my girlfriend's house near Greensburg, PA and I saw a florist shop in Point Marion and asked them to make me a flower arrangement for her. While they made it I walked around the town and never felt scared. I think that so many people on here, like the post above, are so afraid of people who are different from them. The people in Point Marion are not like the Crips and Bloods who really are scary. They are just small town mountain people. Which Markdalton and so many of you from the perfect suburbs are scared of for some reason. So they don't look like the well groomed people on sitcoms or at your suburban mall? They are just your fellow humans - get over it. And so markdalton filled up his car in Point Marion. So he was there for, what, four minutes? Oh yeah, you can really form an accurate judgement of a town in four minutes.
Again,I've lived and traveled throughout PA and it's not just a 4 minute thing. No they really do stare at you if you do not look like them,I get it all the time walking down my street. One time my friend from NJ joked that they're probably saying 'look at that strange classy guy'
I don't think it's just the people from 'perfect suburbs' that are scared of them,I'm predominantly from a small blue-collar town myself...and they even scare me!
I think 'cultish' was the word I've heard used

Old 05-26-2008, 07:39 AM

8,625 posts, read 13,850,514 times
Quote:
In April 2002 I was on my way to my girlfriend's house near Greensburg, PA and I saw a florist shop in Point Marion and asked them to make me a flower arrangement for her. While they made it I walked around the town and never felt scared. I think that so many people on here, like the post above, are so afraid of people who are different from them. The people in Point Marion are not like the Crips and Bloods who really are scary. They are just small town mountain people. Which Markdalton and so many of you from the perfect suburbs are scared of for some reason. So they don't look like the well groomed people on sitcoms or at your suburban mall? They are just your fellow humans - get over it. And so markdalton filled up his car in Point Marion. So he was there for, what, four minutes? Oh yeah, you can really form an accurate judgement of a town in four minutes.

I have searched for hard evidence of contemporary Appalachian inbreeding, and the evidence just isn't very plentiful. This is mostly a myth in the year 2008. Like the snake handling churches, it does exist, but is rare. As a matter of fact, I can only name one ALLEGED instance of inbreeding in WV, and this is in Odd, WV. But many people enjoy the idea that there might be inbreds in them there hills - it's exotic and dramatic and colorful - so the myth is perpetuated. Just like when I go to Cleveland or Pittsburgh and I know deep down that the mafia isn't really there anymore, but it's fun to imagine it is. So I let my imagination run away with me - just like so many people on this thread. But, besides the blue Fugates, do any of you have actual facts on inbreeding in Appalachia?

The bottom line is that this thread is mostly uninformed snobbishness.
Appalachia , , has a lot of areas with the same last name on the mail box, valley after valley. Could that be called " inbreeding" ? Way back , a lot of relation , but I would guess today there is more new blood injected in the gene pool, if for no other reason than the fact that everyone travels some. Better roads, a more worldly society , all contribute to the change. I am sure this clannish nature exists elsewhere also.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 AM

208 posts, read 539,336 times
Well the impression I got ITBLues is that the poster was commenting on one place in that region, not the entire region. You have to admit, there are some pockets in the mountains that are that weird. I'm not ashamed to admit that in my home region of eastern Tennessee there are hollows and rural parts that scare me. BUT, a big BUT, I've seen similarily scary places outside of Appalachia so I don't think "scary hillbilly" towns are limited to the eastern US mountains. However it seems like when the media picks someone to interview, they pick the most ignorant person that fits the stereotype. Even my local news does that. Drives me crazy.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:20 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,914,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've discovered that if you're friendly to people in these "scary" hillbilly towns, are not condescending or superior, then they return the favor.

Berea, Kentucky? A college town? They were probably professors who hunt on the weekends. Don't do anything to tick 'em off, and they'll leave the guns in the gun racks.
Berea has one of the best engineering schools in the country. It has students from over 100 countries that attend.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM

191 posts, read 727,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
Well the impression I got ITBLues is that the poster was commenting on one place in that region, not the entire region. You have to admit, there are some pockets in the mountains that are that weird. I'm not ashamed to admit that in my home region of eastern Tennessee there are hollows and rural parts that scare me. BUT, a big BUT, I've seen similarily scary places outside of Appalachia so I don't think "scary hillbilly" towns are limited to the eastern US mountains. However it seems like when the media picks someone to interview, they pick the most ignorant person that fits the stereotype. Even my local news does that. Drives me crazy.
Okay, you're right. Everyone is entitled to be creeped out. Should be in the Bill of Rights. But what I would like to ask some of these posters is why would they get the willies when someone in a remote mountain town looks at them with suspicion? Because these are places that don't normally see a lot of traffic, so when one wanders into one of these mountain hamlets, the residents wonder what the visitor is up to. I think that's a natural reaction. So the first line of defense it to put the visitor on notice that he or she is being watched. Hell that's better than just shooting first and asking questions later, right? I mean the people on this board from the Bronx or Boston might forget that there are places where pedestrians are an oddity. I mean if you live in Calhoun County, WV or Meigs County, OH why are you walking up the road in front of "my house"? Whereas if you live in Columbus or Atlanta you have people walking around all the time. As for me, I have visited 525 "coal camps" or "coal patches" in WV, KY, VA, PA, MD, and OH. Only a few times did I feel fearful. I walked up these hollows and ridges taking photos and talking to a few people in the road or on porches. I survived. Lately I have been out in the Rust Belt. When I wander into the hood in Akron and Youngstown, the residents look at me with suspicion, same as the hillbilly towns, because they want to know why I am there? Why is this white guy walking around in Braddock or Youngstown taking pictures? So its not just the hills. The hood has eyes, too. But that's another thread.
Honestly, though, drugs have taken a deep root in WV and KY, and that is reason to be fearful. If you stay at a hotel in Beckley, WV, better park your car under a street light, and not leave anything in sight in the car.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:37 PM

8,625 posts, read 13,850,514 times
Quote:
Okay, you're right. Everyone is entitled to be creeped out. Should be in the Bill of Rights. But what I would like to ask some of these posters is why would they get the willies when someone in a remote mountain town looks at them with suspicion? Because these are places that don't normally see a lot of traffic, so when one wanders into one of these mountain hamlets, the residents wonder what the visitor is up to. I think that's a natural reaction. So the first line of defense it to put the visitor on notice that he or she is being watched. Hell that's better than just shooting first and asking questions later, right? I mean the people on this board from the Bronx or Boston might forget that there are places where pedestrians are an oddity. I mean if you live in Calhoun County, WV or Meigs County, OH why are you walking up the road in front of "my house"? Whereas if you live in Columbus or Atlanta you have people walking around all the time. As for me, I have visited 525 "coal camps" or "coal patches" in WV, KY, VA, PA, MD, and OH. Only a few times did I feel fearful. I walked up these hollows and ridges taking photos and talking to a few people in the road or on porches. I survived. Lately I have been out in the Rust Belt. When I wander into the hood in Akron and Youngstown, the residents look at me with suspicion, same as the hillbilly towns, because they want to know why I am there? Why is this white guy walking around in Braddock or Youngstown taking pictures? So its not just the hills. The hood has eyes, too. But that's another thread.
Honestly, though, drugs have taken a deep root in WV and KY, and that is reason to be fearful. If you stay at a hotel in Beckley, WV, better park your car under a street light, and not leave anything in sight in the car.
I once knew a guy from Chicago , who was very nervous when he visited our farm in Iowa. It was the lack of tall buildings , and lots of people that spooked him.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:08 AM

79 posts, read 194,662 times
I guess this really doesn't fall under 'Hillbilly' town, but I have driven through what is referred to as Midgetville, NJ (not sure if the town has a real name or not). I was kinda young at the time, but old enough to remember that the place is deserted, as far as I could tell. Just a handful of tiny houses and two regular size buildings (auto-mechanic and gas station/general store) with tiny doors build into the regular doors. The entire town is one stretch of dirt road in the woods. Actually now, if I knew how to get there, I'd love to go back again and check it out up close.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:56 AM

5,296 posts, read 5,186,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post
I guess this really doesn't fall under 'Hillbilly' town, but I have driven through what is referred to as Midgetville, NJ (not sure if the town has a real name or not). I was kinda young at the time, but old enough to remember that the place is deserted, as far as I could tell. Just a handful of tiny houses and two regular size buildings (auto-mechanic and gas station/general store) with tiny doors build into the regular doors. The entire town is one stretch of dirt road in the woods. Actually now, if I knew how to get there, I'd love to go back again and check it out up close.
Watch out,they might throw rocks atcha

Old 05-27-2008, 11:11 AM

5,844 posts, read 15,903,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
I'm moving back the city, any city. These people are living stereotypes.
The city...which has its own living stereotypes...

Old 05-27-2008, 11:18 AM

5,844 posts, read 15,903,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Watch out,they might throw rocks atcha
Or punch you in the knees LOL! I should know; I'm a midget! (Well, not really, but I AM very short!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or