U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
 
769 posts, read 1,968,416 times
Reputation: 407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
Yesterday my wife and daughter and myself were hiking back to our car from a hike along the river enjoying the weather and my daughter enjoying the passing trains. Our daughter had played in the rocks and mud, and when I carried her the dirt rubbed off on me. It was approximately 80 degrees and humid, and we were sweating. I thought of how so many of you lame suburbanites on here would have found us terrifying, walking among the mountains with our sweat and dirt. Never mind that we are all well educated middle class people, and were all cleaned up as soon as we got home. To you narrow minded posters, who are scared of your own shadow, we were scary hillbillies. I thought City Data Forum was supposed to be informative to others wishing to learn about another locale, but then the moderators allow a thread full of inane misformation posted by 15 year olds who think they are knowledgeable because they once "heard something" about a place or "drove through it once", allow this thread to persist. Is that all of the information you guys can come up with on rural people?
But dude, you have to think about it like this: these places are so isolated that you could get kidnapped, murdered, or tortured to death and no one would notice. I mean, they are in the middle of nowhere and only a bunch isolated weirdos live there. These places aren't merely rural they are cut off from the world at large. It's no wonder Hollywood makes all those horror movies involving crazy people in the middle of nowhere like Psycho, House of Wax, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and sooo many others. I don't know how anybody could feel safe passing through any of these places.

 
Old 06-01-2008, 05:46 PM
 
5,643 posts, read 8,752,443 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
But dude, you have to think about it like this: these places are so isolated that you could get kidnapped, murdered, or tortured to death and no one would notice. I mean, they are in the middle of nowhere and only a bunch isolated weirdos live there. These places aren't merely rural they are cut off from the world at large. It's no wonder Hollywood makes all those horror movies involving crazy people in the middle of nowhere like Psycho, House of Wax, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and sooo many others. I don't know how anybody could feel safe passing through any of these places.
Didn't you forget the movie "Deliverance" ?
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:15 PM
 
191 posts, read 713,256 times
Reputation: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I think most people can tell the difference between local hillbillies and yuppie tourists.
We are locals! That's why what passes for thoughtful judgement and analysis on this thread is often nonsensical. How can you tell if the person is dangerous or not? If I dress raggedy enough I would look dangerous to many of you. And yet I am a middle class person that works at a desk in an engineering office. But give me a minute to do a hillbilly makeover and you'd swear I was getting ready to say, "C'mon, Piggy, gimme a ride!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
But dude, you have to think about it like this: these places are so isolated that you could get kidnapped, murdered, or tortured to death and no one would notice. I mean, they are in the middle of nowhere and only a bunch isolated weirdos live there. These places aren't merely rural they are cut off from the world at large. It's no wonder Hollywood makes all those horror movies involving crazy people in the middle of nowhere like Psycho, House of Wax, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and sooo many others. I don't know how anybody could feel safe passing through any of these places.
That is your brain on Hollywood, this is your brain on reality:
It would be nice to see something resembling a fact on this thread for a change. You can search for the crime rate of Detroit or Flint or Cleveland, where there are plenty of people around, and then you can compare it with the crime rate of Bath County, Virginia, or Monroe County, WV. Guess which ones are consistently in the news for murder and robbery? Much to your surprise it is NOT the Mennonites in Monroe County, but rather the gangs in Cleveland and Detroit.

I mean here is a place that would scare the **** out of most of you squeaky clean, shiny happy people: Harlan County, KY - deep, deep, deep in the heart of Appalachia. Here are the crime stats for Harlan Co. from city data for 2005 (as reported by the sheriff's office or county police, not the county total):
Murders: 0
Rapes: 0
Robberies: 1
Assaults: 15
Burglaries: 23
Thefts: 43
Auto thefts: 9

Now here are the stats from city data for Flint, MI in 2005:
Murders: 48
Rapes: 105
Robberies: 566
Assaults: 1989
Burglaries: 2634
Thefts: 3492
Auto thefts: 1583

So what'll it be? A midnight stroll through Flint or Evarts, KY?
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,296 posts, read 4,971,278 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
How can you tell if the person is dangerous or not? If I dress raggedy enough I would look dangerous to many of you. And yet I am a middle class person that works at a desk in an engineering office. But give me a minute to do a hillbilly makeover and you'd swear I was getting ready to say, "C'mon, Piggy, gimme a ride!"
I can almost guarantee,I've been around enough to be able to tell the difference. Because I'm a bit of what you desribe yourself as also,I look like a middle class person that would work in an office and since living where I have for the past few years I've begun almost to look like the locals here but it just ain't happening.
Even if I really tried scraggin' myself out,they'd be able to see right through me. Maybe it's the eyes I don't know But I've seen the difference between 'normal' people and the zombied-out locals and believe me,I can tell the difference.
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, California
162 posts, read 207,124 times
Reputation: 34
Why would anybody want to live in these Podunk, USA Appalachia towns anyway?

I seriously don't get it.
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:42 PM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,575 posts, read 13,458,134 times
Reputation: 2707
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Didn't you forget the movie "Deliverance" ?
Movie was filmed 10 miles from my house.
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM
 
5,419 posts, read 8,207,294 times
Reputation: 4518
Because those podunk towns are green and beautiful and have more scenery in 10 square miles than most northern metropolii.

I'm guessing the residents of my hillbilly ghetto would scare you as well, maybe even more so as we are packed so close together. But they are some of the best folks around. Far more agreeable on average than the yuppie/hipsters across the river. (JMT excepted of course)
 
Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Santa Barbara, California
162 posts, read 207,124 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Because those podunk towns are green and beautiful and have more scenery in 10 square miles than most northern metropolii.

I'm guessing the residents of my hillbilly ghetto would scare you as well, maybe even more so as we are packed so close together. But they are some of the best folks around. Far more agreeable on average than the yuppie/hipsters across the river. (JMT excepted of course)
There are green and beautiful places in cities and around cities.

Besides, how does green scenery keep you entertained or satisfied? There are more things to life than green and scenery.
 
Old 06-01-2008, 08:00 PM
 
769 posts, read 1,968,416 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
We are locals! That's why what passes for thoughtful judgement and analysis on this thread is often nonsensical. How can you tell if the person is dangerous or not? If I dress raggedy enough I would look dangerous to many of you. And yet I am a middle class person that works at a desk in an engineering office. But give me a minute to do a hillbilly makeover and you'd swear I was getting ready to say, "C'mon, Piggy, gimme a ride!"



That is your brain on Hollywood, this is your brain on reality:
It would be nice to see something resembling a fact on this thread for a change. You can search for the crime rate of Detroit or Flint or Cleveland, where there are plenty of people around, and then you can compare it with the crime rate of Bath County, Virginia, or Monroe County, WV. Guess which ones are consistently in the news for murder and robbery? Much to your surprise it is NOT the Mennonites in Monroe County, but rather the gangs in Cleveland and Detroit.

I mean here is a place that would scare the **** out of most of you squeaky clean, shiny happy people: Harlan County, KY - deep, deep, deep in the heart of Appalachia. Here are the crime stats for Harlan Co. from city data for 2005 (as reported by the sheriff's office or county police, not the county total):
Murders: 0
Rapes: 0
Robberies: 1
Assaults: 15
Burglaries: 23
Thefts: 43
Auto thefts: 9

Now here are the stats from city data for Flint, MI in 2005:
Murders: 48
Rapes: 105
Robberies: 566
Assaults: 1989
Burglaries: 2634
Thefts: 3492
Auto thefts: 1583

So what'll it be? A midnight stroll through Flint or Evarts, KY?
I understand your point, and I'm not disregarding it; crime is a big deal in the cities. But it generally goes noticed because there are people there. We are talking about backward, isolated communities in America. Those places are freaky because you could get killed, tortured, and other things without people knowing it.
 
Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 PM
 
483 posts, read 1,875,893 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
Why would anybody want to live in these Podunk, USA Appalachia towns anyway?

I seriously don't get it.
Perhaps because they prefer to be around intelligent people.

Let me tell you something that happened recently.
I was driving through one of the most rural areas east of the Mississippi.
Eventually I came across one of those "mom and pop" restaurants, all alone
on the side of the two-lane, nothing else for miles. Parked outside, a couple of
beat-up pickup trucks and a couple of huge green tractors (combines?).

Anyway, I went in, ordered, and sat down to wait. In the next booth, a couple of
overall-wearing farmers were discussing the relative benefits of installing
multi-mode fiber or microwave links to all their barns.

And they seemed to know what they were talking about.

Last conversation I overheard in California was;
"like, you know, I was going, 'Ewww!' and he was like...."

Like, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top