Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 09:38 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Perhaps because they prefer to be around intelligent people.

Let me tell you something that happened recently.
I was driving through one of the most rural areas east of the Mississippi.
Eventually I came across one of those "mom and pop" restaurants, all alone
on the side of the two-lane, nothing else for miles. Parked outside, a couple of
beat-up pickup trucks and a couple of huge green tractors (combines?).

Anyway, I went in, ordered, and sat down to wait. In the next booth, a couple of
overall-wearing farmers were discussing the relative benefits of installing
multi-mode fiber or microwave links to all their barns.

And they seemed to know what they were talking about.

Last conversation I overheard in California was;
"like, you know, I was going, 'Ewww!' and he was like...."

Like, you know?
Well stated. Not all of rural America is filled with backwards hicks.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
I was driving through one of the most rural areas east of the Mississippi.
Eventually I came across one of those "mom and pop" restaurants, all alone
on the side of the two-lane, nothing else for miles. Parked outside, a couple of
beat-up pickup trucks and a couple of huge green tractors (combines?).

Anyway, I went in, ordered, and sat down to wait. In the next booth, a couple of
overall-wearing farmers were discussing the relative benefits of installing
multi-mode fiber or microwave links to all their barns.

And they seemed to know what they were talking about.

Last conversation I overheard in California was;
"like, you know, I was going, 'Ewww!' and he was like...."
Like, you know?
Good point. I've noticed you can tell a little more about an area by visiting those type of local places. You might be surprised at the lack of intelligence I've witnessed at the local places right here in this 'big city' also.
It reminds me of a bumper sticker I saw once - 'Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large numbers'

Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 AM

769 posts, read 2,232,105 times
I think this thread backfired because rural people got offended. There are threads that talk about how scary some cities are but there aren't any city versus rural arguments. The rural people who came into this thread and got offended need to lighten up. This is NOT a rural vs. suburban/urban thread. It is about isolated towns that are cut off from the outside world and appear to be dangerous. THIS IS NOT A RURAL VS. URBAN THREAD. PLEASE LEAVE IF YOU THINK IT IS. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY WHAT IS POSTED HERE THEN DO NOT BE. THIS THREAD WAS NOT CREATED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

Anyway, I'd have to say Hutchinson, Kansas seems like a scary hillbilly town. Maybe it doesn't qualify as hillbilly but it is known to have several drug dealers there.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Default Western PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
That sounds like something I heard also about PA...they'd say not to wander down any dirt roads 'cause you could end up on someone's property lookin' down the barrel of a shotgun.

That probably explains why there were alot of street signs missing up there or just ones made of cardboard
We unfortunately made a move to Western PA. I cannot wait to move away from here!
Unfortunately I didn't realize that Western PA is really, really rednecky. I mistakenly thought that Western PA was a progressive area. (All that "biotech" talk in the area)
I'm not talking about the few folks who live in the few high rises in the city or the college kids from normal places, just everyone else....

This is my opinion what I've gotten us into!

Typical Western PA resident

*help*

Last edited by londonbarcelona; 06-02-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
There are green and beautiful places in cities and around cities.

Besides, how does green scenery keep you entertained or satisfied? There are more things to life than green and scenery.
We went from Scottsdale, Arizona to Venetia, PA. I cannot wait to move away from Western PA. We moved for a job promotion, but I really dislike it here. I had no idea that anything outside the city of Pittsburgh was so rural. And I mean, rural - rural. Not farms.
I lived south of Richmond, VA and it was much nicer there compared to where we are here. It's just the attitude of the people here. If you were not born and raised here, you are not welcome.
We've lived in many places, and this is the only place where we have felt unwelcome.
Like so many before us, we are moving to because of the unfriendliness of the area residents. This is not an uncommon occurrence around here.
Many people move here, thinking it's just a pretty, friendly, rural town and end up feeling like outcasts because they weren't born here. Weird. It's truly a strange place.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Well stated. Not all of rural America is filled with backwards hicks.
And that's why I made sure to state that the areas I felt were terribly backward in Western PA did not include the farms.
Many farmers have to be up to date with what's available with new technology because they need to be able to produce more with less nowadays. I've met many intelligent farmers, and many were college educated also!

Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM

162 posts, read 271,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
We went from Scottsdale, Arizona to Venetia, PA. I cannot wait to move away from Western PA. We moved for a job promotion, but I really dislike it here. I had no idea that anything outside the city of Pittsburgh was so rural. And I mean, rural - rural. Not farms.
I lived south of Richmond, VA and it was much nicer there compared to where we are here. It's just the attitude of the people here. If you were not born and raised here, you are not welcome.
We've lived in many places, and this is the only place where we have felt unwelcome.
Like so many before us, we are moving to because of the unfriendliness of the area residents. This is not an uncommon occurrence around here.
Many people move here, thinking it's just a pretty, friendly, rural town and end up feeling like outcasts because they weren't born here. Weird. It's truly a strange place.
I'll pray for your escape from bitter Pennsylvania.

Cities in North Carolina seem like a better fit for you.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLE1 View Post
I'll pray for your escape from bitter Pennsylvania.

Cities in North Carolina seem like a better fit for you.
Thank you! That's just where we'd like to be!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:10 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,082,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
It's a shame you've had a rough time of it in western PA. It reminds me of many parts of New England in one sense and that is people are reserved. Personally I don't mind that at all and if I move there it will be a refreshing change over the "friendliness" of the people in Kansas City. Here people are pushy, over bearing and obnoxious to the point that they are violating my personal space. But some people think that kind of behavior is friendly and seem to like it. I'd rather be around people that respect my right to privacy and personal space. I'll get that in western PA. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:03 AM

191 posts, read 809,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
I think this thread backfired because rural people got offended. There are threads that talk about how scary some cities are but there aren't any city versus rural arguments. The rural people who came into this thread and got offended need to lighten up. This is NOT a rural vs. suburban/urban thread. It is about isolated towns that are cut off from the outside world and appear to be dangerous. THIS IS NOT A RURAL VS. URBAN THREAD. PLEASE LEAVE IF YOU THINK IT IS. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY WHAT IS POSTED HERE THEN DO NOT BE. THIS THREAD WAS NOT CREATED FOR THAT PURPOSE.

Anyway, I'd have to say Hutchinson, Kansas seems like a scary hillbilly town. Maybe it doesn't qualify as hillbilly but it is known to have several drug dealers there.

Then what is the purpose of this thread? It appears to be a place where urban and suburban people can make themselves feel superior at the expense of small town and rural people. To state that a place has a poor economy or smog or little night life is a geographical observation, but this thread is full of attacks on demographical groups. To tell rural people not to be offended by calling them scary and toothless and dirty is like starting a thread titled "I Hate N*gg*rs" and then telling African-Americans not to be offended. So rather than stop the derogatory talk about small town and mountain people you would rather they just leave the thread. (And unless you are a moderator how can you tell anyone to leave a thread?) And why shouldn't these rural people log on here to defend themselves? Do people not have a right to hear the other side of the "scary hillbilly" story? Is City-Data forum of, by, and for urban and suburban people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City