Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 07:07 AM

4 posts, read 28,298 times

Advertisements

Obviously you have never been to back woods tennessee or west virginia. The people from Deliverance are my mom's neighbors! We are from Ft. Wayne, IN and my mom and brother moved to Northeastern Tennessee about 12 years ago, and while most of the people are nice and friendly, my mom lives at the top of a mountain and the people around her are scary at best if you don't know them, and uncomfortable when you do. Maybe not inbred, but it's definately a place not to go unless you know someone. I wouldn't want to break down there.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:55 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,910,204 times
Akoch, I'm not sure which post you're addressing, but I can say there are a lot of urban 'hoods where I wouldn't want to break down either. For me, and I'm guessing for others who have objected to the direction of this thread, there's not a problem with talking about real reasons that a person who's not used to a place that exists out of the mainstream might be uncomfortable. The problem is in the way people have been amusing themselves by tossing around derogatory stereotypes in a way few would dare to do when talking about inner city residents, without the kinds of sincere discussions to be found on the "scary ghetto neighborhood" threads, about the difficulties people living in this kind of poverty face. No sympathy, just a lot of stereotyping and a lot of put-downs. A few too many people seem to be finding it too easy to knock a whole group of people in an extreme way that most likely they would not feel free to do with some other groups of people. There really seems to be some selective judgment going on here, about what prejudices are acceptable to express.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:30 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,799,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akoch72 View Post
Obviously you have never been to back woods tennessee or west virginia. The people from Deliverance are my mom's neighbors! We are from Ft. Wayne, IN and my mom and brother moved to Northeastern Tennessee about 12 years ago, and while most of the people are nice and friendly, my mom lives at the top of a mountain and the people around her are scary at best if you don't know them, and uncomfortable when you do. Maybe not inbred, but it's definately a place not to go unless you know someone. I wouldn't want to break down there.
There are plenty of places in eastern Kentucky where I wouldn't want to break down, either. Stinking Creek, Wheelwright, Millard, Warfield, Hazel Green, Thousandsticks, Tyner... Just the names of the towns are scary enough for me.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:28 AM

14 posts, read 51,561 times
Why is no one in here discussing Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, the carolinas, or Louisiana. The south is backwards minus the mountains. Why do southern people have a retarted accent?

Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 AM

14 posts, read 51,561 times
What about the beverly hillbillies that came from Arkansas.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM

129 posts, read 467,567 times
Some sections of NY-near the PA boarder are SCARY as hell... If you break down in one of those towns, just lock your doors and pray!

Old 06-08-2008, 10:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
There are plenty of places in eastern Kentucky where I wouldn't want to break down, either. Stinking Creek, Wheelwright, Millard, Warfield, Hazel Green, Thousandsticks, Tyner... Just the names of the towns are scary enough for me.
Aside from the fact that it might be hard to find a repair shop in those places, I'd be no more afraid than I would be of breaking down in some urban neighborhoods, as was previously stated.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:32 AM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,224 times
just ignore ANY of martinsburguy's posts

2 days ago i passed by this town in New Jersey called Salem......that was scary!!!!! it was scarier than anything i've seen in the south before

Old 06-08-2008, 01:11 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Thank you! That's just where we'd like to be!
We lived in the North Charlotte suburbs for 6 years. We moved to Western PA because we thought it would be the complete opposite. Unfortunately it turned out to be a "mirror image"!

Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM

835 posts, read 2,305,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinsburgGUy02 View Post
Why is no one in here discussing Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, the carolinas, or Louisiana. The south is backwards minus the mountains. Why do southern people have a retarted accent?
Nobody has a "retarted " accent. Were you trying to ironic with your spelling of the word or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City