U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2008, 11:28 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,237,432 times

Advertisements

There is a bridge connecting Albany, NY to Delmar, NY. Underneath the bridge there is a strange little village with a few houses and a church. It's called "Normansville," but few outsiders have ventured down there. It is referred to as "Trollville." Enter at your own risk. The sign warns you, no outlet.

Personally I drove down there only once in my life. It was night time and I was curious. I had crossed this bridge several times over my 17 years and never been down to venture. I made it half way down before the sheer spookiness forced me to haul ass back up the hill.

The trolls almost got me.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:35 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,606,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
How bad could it have been if it had a Cracker Barrel restaurant? Sounds pretty dang cosmopolitan to me.

20yrsinBranson
Ummm...the Cracker Barrel was hardly what made it bad. Focus on the story, not minute details. Cracker Barrels are everywhere. Since when did I ever say Cracker Barrels were strictly a Southern/hillbilly thing, or that the two even went together? They just happened to be there at the time.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:08 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
My husbands family come from Arkansas. They were very poor, lived in shacks in the hollows, everything you imagine a hillbilly to be, making moonshine, etc...(this was his grandparents life).
He still has alot of family down there, many whom we have never met. His mother went down to visit her aunt and we were saying we would like to go visit one day. She said to be sure to call the aunt to have her drive us in because it would be unsafe going where they all live, without being known! We haven't made it yet, but it sounds like an adventure!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,373,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I especially enjoy referring to yuppie types from Alexandria, Charlotte and Atlanta as "stupid ****in' hillbillys", it really gets their goat to think that Lithuanian, Irish and Italian blue-collar Old Style swillers from Chicago hold them in scorn. White-collar southerners get VERY defensive about that, I love to see them jump through hoops telling you about their education and sophistication and how they're not all hillbillys. Racism may be out of style but classism thrives.
Why would you hold them in scorn? If they've made something of their lives, there's no reason to be jealous.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:47 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,494,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
There is a bridge connecting Albany, NY to Delmar, NY. Underneath the bridge there is a strange little village with a few houses and a church. It's called "Normansville," ...

The trolls almost got me.
Isn't that where the yellow brick road is? If so, it wasn't trolls, just the Oompa Loompas. lol

Old 07-24-2008, 10:13 AM

33,948 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
In my opinon, Maryland has the best maintained highways. It seems their roads are always smooth, no potholes, and no litter.
Oooh, have you checked out Baltimore? That has to be the pothole capital of the world. I think your vehicle is safer on the Cross Bronx Expressway and that's no compliment.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 AM

105 posts, read 434,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistfightinghairdresser View Post
i had the misfortune of being briefly stationed at ft. Leonard wood when i was in the army. I stopped in montreal, mo for gas and the toothless broad working behind the counter told me to git my california ass outa town.

Which was strange, since i had kansas plates and never lived in california...
lmfao

Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,259,537 times
Rock Springs, Wyoming.

End of thread.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:13 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,480,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
yes these types of places do exist and i have had the misfortune to live in or near a couple of them. Newport, TN is the worst of them in my opinion. Picture "The Waltons meet The Hatfields and McCoys". One entire family lived on one mountain with the grandparents at the top and each generation in layers on down the mountain. i lived in another town in florida where one girl i worked with was proud of the fact that she was the first person in ten generations to marry outside of the family. So yes, the places exist and while movies are fictional and made for entertainment, the best stories take a bit of truth and build on it.
LOL at the Newport, TN comment

Old 07-24-2008, 03:02 PM

109 posts, read 363,101 times
Talking Hogtown, USA

Now I played "Daisy Mae" in my high-school musical "Lil' Abner"-"Abner, I brung ya some worms!"- so maybe that's why this subject fascinates me so much!
I did hear tell of a tiny town in New York State called Hogtown.
I never had the privilege of visiting there as I lived nearby at the time, but it's still on the map.
My ex-husband, who was a bit of a looker, did have the misfortune to end up in the town bar one night a year before we met and was nearly kidnapped by a lovely hillbilly gal named Mountain Angel who had tromped down from the mountain for some spirits.
She had big strong arms and kick-ass boots, and she whirled my ex around the dance floor until he was as dizzy as a mule in heat!
I was told that's about as far as things got, and I'm not sure how he got out of there without being forced to marry the lovely lass, since she took such a fancy to him!
I swear this tale is true in all details (as told by my ex, that is, who was admittedly a tad crazy!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or