U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 10:54 AM

197 posts, read 422,606 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned

I am originally from a small town in NC (about 45 minutes north of Charlotte), but lived in east TN in a small town called Rogersville, TN for two years. I have a grandmother, aunt, uncle and many cousins still in the area. I have always considered NC to be one of the friendliest and welcoming areas in the US, but the people I met in east TN in that small town welcomed me with open arms. I had neighbors stopping by to give me produce from their gardens, inviting me to their churches and offering assistance with anything the thought I needed help with. Being a single mother, I don't know what I would have done on a few occasions without the help of these "rednecks" and "hillbillies".

I have been all over the US and have never once been frightened for my personal safety (other than with traffic issues) except in DC and Trenton, NJ. Neither of which are populated with "rednecks", but seemed to have a large population of people with nothing better to do than stand on the streets and accost passersby. I actually had one person try to get into the car with me at a stoplight in Trenton. I would have given a lot to have one of those "good ol' boys" driving a Chevy behind me right then. Because one thing I can say about the people in east TN that I met...they were courteous, respectful and fiercely protective of their families. If that's the definition of "redneck/hillbilly" then sign me up!

EDIT: Oh, and just so you know, my sister who has her MBA lived in Jonesborough, TN (that's in east TN in case you need help finding it on a map) and was the marketing director for a bank in Johnson City, TN. I don't think she considers herself a redneck hillbilly either.

Last edited by Bo; 05-05-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post it refers to was deleted

Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM

2,437 posts, read 7,106,745 times
I see that the OP here is really old, and the topic seems to have morphed into one of those regional rivalries, but, in case anyone is interested in reading a response to the Original Post, then here is mine:

A few years back, I had the opportunity to travel to Eastern Kentucky for some volunteer work. The name of the town we stayed in was Hyden, but we were really all over Leslie county. Our public work consisted of, among other things, going door-to-door to preach to those who would listen. This gave us a unique opportunity to meet the local residents face-to-face, on their own front door steps... We did not find the people there to be scary at all. On the contrary, they were some of the nicesest and most hospitable folks we've ever spoken to in this way (and yes, we did have an African American brother in our party). True, many of them were living in abject poverty, and some had some really 'scary' looking domiciles, with their own family graveyards right on their land, but in nearly every case, they seemed to have a genuine interest in us as their visitors and a real respect for the work we were doing. In fact, one lady ran out into her vegetable garden before we could stop her and picked a whole bunch of fresh produce for us. Overall, I have very fond memories of that trip, mainly due to the wonderful, warm, and humble people we met and spoke to there.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM

23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post

maybe with some traveling you will realize the state of florida is.........

The Dukes of Hazzard (rednecks) + The Golden Girls (snowbirds) = Florida
We have special accommodations just for yankees that make fun of Floridians, its called a gator hole, care to see one?
btw, I'm not a native, DH is, I am an Ozarkian-American

Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times
the scariest I have been in...and I am from the south and have seen a lot, was up around pennsylvania/west virginia.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:37 AM

5,408 posts, read 13,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
I've always been a little fascinated about the idea that there are these incredibly secluded towns in the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Towns where people are possibly inbred and choose to keep to themselves and out of mainstream America. Trust me- i'm not making fun of any of these states, simply using the state names that most commonly come up when discussing this matter.

Are there people who live near places like this where it's best not to get too deep into the woods because of the people who live there? Anybody have some good stories to tell? Has my mind been warped by movies such as Deliverance and Wrong Turn?

Just wondering.
You forgot to include southwestern Virginia, which has lots of tiny old coal mine villages, some of which haven't had new industry for decades. I doubt you would find many (if any) of the type of town you are looking for, but some are unmistakably "hillbilly" and unchanged for generations. I know that parts ("hollers") in some coal mining villages can be quite scary.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,155,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
I've always been a little fascinated about the idea that there are these incredibly secluded towns in the hills of Tennessee, Kentucky, and West Virginia. Towns where people are possibly inbred and choose to keep to themselves and out of mainstream America. Trust me- i'm not making fun of any of these states, simply using the state names that most commonly come up when discussing this matter.

Are there people who live near places like this where it's best not to get too deep into the woods because of the people who live there? Anybody have some good stories to tell? Has my mind been warped by movies such as Deliverance and Wrong Turn?

Just wondering.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Hills Have Eyes have brainwashed you.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:54 AM

36 posts, read 106,358 times
Gotta be in Mississippi.................................

Old 06-26-2009, 09:23 PM

542 posts, read 755,014 times
Craigsville, Va. Need I say more? It's a little village of about 800 people. I heard a story that its only two police cars had a head on collision with each other. One was actually trying to apprehend someone, the other was goofing off and peeled out into the path of the other. I heard this from someone who actually lived there. Just one of the many stereotypical stories from that town. I always joke that it's a W Va. base camp in my part of the state. I live in Staunton about a half hour away, it might as well be a hundred years away. Even people from Staunton are "city slickers" to these people and we only have around 24,000 people! I love where I live and most people don't come any where near the definition of hillbilly or redneck but the ones that do sure make up for the percentage that don't!(By the way, not bashing W Va. just making fun of stereotypes. Admittedly at your expense.)

Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,347 times
Hello. I am from West Virginia and I believe that I speak for everyone when I say that it is very hurtful that this is the conception of our state. We are not inbred, we are educated, and we are aware of "Mainstream America." I, like everyone I know, have straight, white teeth (with the exception of smokers), I shop at malls and stores such as J. Crew, Black House White Market, Anthropologie, and the GAP, and, as most of you get confused with, I also buy shoes at all of these places. You assume that we whom live in these states are uneducated, but it is you that are the uneducated ones. I live in a beautiful three story, Southern-type home with the double porches and every morning I wake up to a beautiful river in my back yard lined with cloud breaking mountains. Step out of what you think are your perfect little lives and open your naive minds to places beyond skyscrapers, or are you blinded by the clouds of exhaust fumes that surround you?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:34 PM

296 posts, read 512,323 times
Hazard County, KY (but not scary, just hillbilly, nice people for the most part)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or