Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 10:39 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,988 times

Advertisements

Try Harlan, KY, Evarts, KY, Cawood, KY, anywhere in Letcher co., Clay co., etc.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,653 times
i like hillbillies...they make me smile =] they bring love and cheer to all...yay hillbillies

p.s...there should defo be a world wide hillbillie day were we get to wear straw hats and get together singing hillbillie songs and make little wooden models of bears eating pork pie or casserole.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,633 times
Why is it that Liberal's like to point out other's flaws but fail to see their own. Sure there is bigotry in these small towns you claim are hillbilly, but it's not prejudice. Big difference. But all of you have shown your own bigotry by putting down the music that these people love just because you don't care for it. I bet they hate your music. It also seems you have NO tolerance for their culture. What makes you think yours is any better? Through history it has been these Hillbilly's that have been the most patriotic, hard working people in the land even though their lifestyles are in the poverty level. But it is not their fault. PA and WV have Liberal governments who embrace those who won't pull their own weight and penalize those who work hard. Look inside yourselves and see your own bigotry. We all have it. But it seems Liberals like to show it off a lot more than others with their tolerance of everything but morality, patriotism, hard work, GOD, etc. And free speech does not exist with a Liberal. I have just stated observations, but I will bet anything that Liberals will start the name-calling and anything that Liberals don't like to hear, they censure. Hillbillies have a rich tradition in this country and it is a different culture, so you should embrace it with the tolerance you give to all others. Double Standard should not be your mantra, but it seems it is.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:39 PM

7 posts, read 19,678 times
LOL!! Life is short! I am very fortunate with many luxuries in this life but give me, down to earth, fun redneck, anyday over, stuffy, uptight, know it all, from anywhere. BTW that hillbilly/redneck may be your cousin (food for thought). God Bless to all and have a fantastic day!

Old 10-31-2010, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,481 times
I live in Shelbyville, TN. Most of you would probably think it was pretty redneck here, but the town really isn't that bad. I have seen some ****ed up **** in surrounding counties though - right in the hills of the cannon/bedford county border there are a lot of little groups of tweaker shacks all sharing power but no running water or sewage. I'm pretty sure they are inbred. There is a community at "hippie hill" right on the county line that used to be a legit, peaceful hippie commune in the 60s and early 70s. After meth took over the area, it transformed into a place to go for weeks-long meth binges. It's only safe to visit the week before and after Bonnaroo, and even then, its super sketch.

I drove past a car in the walmart parking lot in dechard, tn that made me literally say "oh my god" out loud to myself. It was an old, once-black pontiac practically scraping the ground. the driver was the classic meth burn-out picture, but missing all teeth and most of her hair. The passenger looked very similar and behind her was a man with a seriously deformed face--it screamed inbred.

I've heard that Grundy county is pretty terrible as well. I've yet to drive down there to check it out, but even the name sounds scary!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:52 PM

66 posts, read 184,935 times
Yes to southern Cannon County Tennessee. Very interesting story as to how I've experienced this (haha), but ..... yes ... that area is very scary hick. lol.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:41 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Colorado City, Utah, is a polygamy-friendly town and the kind of place where you'll be stared at if you're not from there and just driving through.

Rawlins, Wyo., is flat-out devoid of any qualities whatsoever and is smack dab in the middle of nowhere. And some of the folks there are beyond strange.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:43 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,285 times
Atlanta, GA is by far the scariest hill-billy town.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zertndo View Post
Why is it that Liberal's like to point out other's flaws but fail to see their own. Sure there is bigotry in these small towns you claim are hillbilly, but it's not prejudice. Big difference. But all of you have shown your own bigotry by putting down the music that these people love just because you don't care for it. I bet they hate your music. It also seems you have NO tolerance for their culture. What makes you think yours is any better? Through history it has been these Hillbilly's that have been the most patriotic, hard working people in the land even though their lifestyles are in the poverty level. But it is not their fault. PA and WV have Liberal governments who embrace those who won't pull their own weight and penalize those who work hard. Look inside yourselves and see your own bigotry. We all have it. But it seems Liberals like to show it off a lot more than others with their tolerance of everything but morality, patriotism, hard work, GOD, etc. And free speech does not exist with a Liberal. I have just stated observations, but I will bet anything that Liberals will start the name-calling and anything that Liberals don't like to hear, they censure. Hillbillies have a rich tradition in this country and it is a different culture, so you should embrace it with the tolerance you give to all others. Double Standard should not be your mantra, but it seems it is.

Bigotry is worse than prejudice. Prejudice is due to ignorance and lack of education. Bigotry is knowing what one is doing is wrong and doing it anyway.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
Default GottaHerdOn response

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
You really really need to get out more. I'm pretty sure, not 100% but close that these places you speak of where people are inbred, do not exist anywhere in America. Maybe in like villages in the Amazon, but not in any industrialized nation. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Masacre, Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, The Deliverance are for entertainment purposes only. People may choose to stay out of mainstream America because they've worked in fast paced cities their whole lives and want to retire in peace and quiet where life is slower. ha ha
I believe you may need to take a field trip up to the Appalachians my friend. Folks like you describe in the "movies" the "inbred" are alive and procreating up there in their shanty towns. Some can hardly read or write. Most houses do not have indoor plumbing.

My in-laws are teachers and moved up there to help educate the residents and had befriended a few, but most wanted nothing to do with outsiders. They described some of the things they saw, and said it was hard to believe that people lived that way in the US today. They only stayed one year, before moving back to civilization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City