U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: 60124
34 posts, read 90,888 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
You really really need to get out more. I'm pretty sure, not 100% but close that these places you speak of where people are inbred, do not exist anywhere in America. Maybe in like villages in the Amazon, but not in any industrialized nation. Movies like Texas Chainsaw Masacre, Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, The Deliverance are for entertainment purposes only. People may choose to stay out of mainstream America because they've worked in fast paced cities their whole lives and want to retire in peace and quiet where life is slower. ha ha
hello - I think you need to get out there more and realize that places like that DO exist!!! I have been through some pretty scarey places that you don't want to get lost at!...Ever driven up to Babbitt or Orr Minnesota? Yeah didn't think so.

 
Old 05-18-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: New Mexico --> Vermont in 2019
9,043 posts, read 17,301,151 times
Reputation: 11297
Scariest little redneck hillbilly village I've ever seen was in a store called Wal-Mart. It scared the crap out of me.

Ironicly the most anti Wal-Mart State (Vermont), has some of the most amusing pics on this sight.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/?state=1&cat=64

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-18-2011 at 04:16 PM..
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 PM
 
959 posts, read 1,113,890 times
Reputation: 363
Someone said Savannah is a hillbilly town, lol. The problem with that statement is that 54% of the population in Savannah is Black. Unless that person believes that Blacks can be hillbillies as well.
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
3,655 posts, read 4,297,660 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Scariest little redneck hillbilly village I've ever seen was in a store called Wal-Mart. It scared the crap out of me.

Ironicly the most anti Wal-Mart State (Vermont), has some of the most amusing pics on this sight.

Funny Pictures at WalMart Vermont
Vermont is yet another state in the north eastern Appalachians that people are unaware; is completely hillbilly. XD
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Silver Springs, FL
23,440 posts, read 30,607,252 times
Reputation: 15560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
Someone said Savannah is a hillbilly town, lol. The problem with that statement is that 54% of the population in Savannah is Black. Unless that person believes that Blacks can be hillbillies as well.
That idiot was a troll who has since been consigned to the ether.
 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:08 PM
 
Location: New Mexico --> Vermont in 2019
9,043 posts, read 17,301,151 times
Reputation: 11297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Vermont is yet another state in the north eastern Appalachians that people are unaware; is completely hillbilly. XD
That's because tourists go skiing at Stowe, or have an enlightening lunch at an Indian or Thai restaurant in downtown Burlington, shop at a farmers market and paint their own Norman Rockwell canvas in Woodstock, and go home with civilized and well nourished memories of Vermont. If they drove around the Northeast Kingdom or Springfield with NY/Mass/NJ/Conn plates they might be in for a rude awakening, like hitting a moose. I will say much of Vermont is just as pro second amendment as any other rural state.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 05-19-2011 at 06:17 PM..
 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
3,655 posts, read 4,297,660 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
That's because tourists go skiing at Stowe, or have an enlightening lunch at an Indian or Thai restaurant in downtown Burlington, shop at a farmers market and paint their own Norman Rockwell canvas in Woodstock, and go home with civilized and well nourished memories of Vermont. If they drove around the Northeast Kingdom or Springfield with NY/Mass/NJ/Conn plates they might be in for a rude awakening, like hitting a moose. I will say much of Vermont is just as pro second amendment as any other rural state.
I agree. Too many people assume a lot about the Northeast based on tourist attractions and big cities.

In truth, we are as hick as the south. If not more-so in places. XD

There's a reason people from NYC called us upstaters hicks and hillbillies.
 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM
 
Location: New Mexico --> Vermont in 2019
9,043 posts, read 17,301,151 times
Reputation: 11297
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I agree. Too many people assume a lot about the Northeast based on tourist attractions and big cities.

In truth, we are as hick as the south. If not more-so in places. XD

There's a reason people from NYC called us upstaters hicks and hillbillies.
On two sides of the same coin, I believe a lot of urbanites are just as redneck, just subconsciously as they think residing in the city negates being redneck. Not so. I've met guys from Southie in Boston that have hardly ever been out of Massachusetts and just couldn't fathom why I would want to live on the outskirts of Boston instead of his insular world inside the city. There's plenty of guys in wife beaters, with abrasive accents (just because it's an urban tongue does not add points to ones IQ), and bad vocabulary. And I'm thinking, wow.....even in the thick of urban Boston, reside plenty of rednecks.
 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
3,655 posts, read 4,297,660 times
Reputation: 4526
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
On two sides of the same coin, I believe a lot of urbanites are just as redneck, just subconsciously as they think residing in the city negates being redneck. Not so. I've met guys from Southie in Boston that have hardly ever been out of Massachusetts and just couldn't fathom why I would want to live on the outskirts of Boston instead of his insular world inside the city. There's plenty of guys in wife beaters, with abrasive accents (just because it's an urban tongue does not add points to ones IQ), and bad vocabulary. And I'm thinking, wow.....even in the thick of urban Boston, reside plenty of rednecks.
Oh I agree! Rednecks exist in urban areas just as much as in rural. It's hillbillies that tend to be exclusively rural and small town.

Most Rhode Island rednecks are city dwellers. X3
 
Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 PM
 
5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times
Reputation: 2649
Dayton, Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top