Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,629,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
same thing happened to flint and detroit. I'm sure they have attracted a few businesses themselves, it's not like they've had absolutely ZERO growth or anything. that whole part of the country, really. it's weird cause didn't dresden and nagasaki recover a lot more quickly than the rust belt?
They haven't had zero growth, but a quick trip shows the differances in the cities. Dayton still has dense and intact neighborhoods that don't have swaths of urban prairies dotting the landscape. Detroit and Flint have neighborhoods miles apart from eachother, but miles in between those same exact neighborhoods have areas that once housed three times the amount of houses that are currently there.

And economy wise, Dayton really has diversified. It was more manufacturing than auto, but when those industries left, the universities came into play not only educating residents, but helping transform the economy. You now see a city that is an aerospace hub thanks to Wright Pratt, and medical based companies like Caresource and Premier Health.

Trust me, I am rooting for Detroit and Flint, but tearing everything down and not having a plan to put something in its place isn't right in my opinion. And non diversification in the economy is hurting them.

And Nagasaki and Dresden had a lot of foreign investment, and can thank in large part, American dollars for rebuilding their cities. Now, we can thank the Chinese for investing in cities like Detroit. America turned its back on Detroit. It is half of Detroit's fault for not diversifying, but Detroit built a large part of this country, and America pretty much said forget you.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
All over Mississippi, you'll find places like that. I grew up in one. Rode with the Bootlegger, as a little girl, counting payments, as he drove around collecting. So I could tell you some stories that would curdle your blood.

Tourists go missing all the time. People move to Mississippi, and just fall off the face of the Earth. Same with the rest of the Deep South. The woods around Hattiesburg are notorious...that whole corner of the state.... North Louisiana, most of Arkansas, much of Alabama, Southwest Missouri...

And it's getting scarier, because those people are growing and manufacturing drugs, these days. Their cousin is likely to be Sherriff. Half the time, Mississippi's Governors are from those families, too. And people from foreign countries are setting up growing and distribution networks. So, when your family goes missing, some power broker Lawyer in Jackson, or Baton Rouge, or Little Rock, or DC will just pick up the phone and kill any investigation. And a news blackout of the story is pretty-much automatic.

What's REALLY happening out in the Boonies is scarier than Wrong Turn ever thought about being.

As for truly inbred populations... Europe's Royalty is a big inbred family. Hemophilia is only one of the disorders resulting from that inbreeding. The smartest people in the world (Ashkenazic Jews) were once considered, by many researchers, to be extremely inbred. And then there are certain (non-Jewish) groups from the Middle East who continue such practices into the present, with disastrous results.

Much of the lore about scary Hillbillies was manufactured or exaggerated by New York Writers, about a century ago, to justify the Hill People's dispossession, and the theft of the natural resources of the region, by the Robber Barons.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,426,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillytoCincy View Post
They haven't had zero growth, but a quick trip shows the differances in the cities. Dayton still has dense and intact neighborhoods that don't have swaths of urban prairies dotting the landscape. Detroit and Flint have neighborhoods miles apart from eachother, but miles in between those same exact neighborhoods have areas that once housed three times the amount of houses that are currently there.
Well, I'll take your word for it, you obviously are more familiar with this than me. I'm rooting for these places too, but they ALL have a long way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria
All over Mississippi, you'll find places like that. I grew up in one. Rode with the Bootlegger, as a little girl, counting payments, as he drove around collecting. So I could tell you some stories that would curdle your blood.

Tourists go missing all the time. People move to Mississippi, and just fall off the face of the Earth. Same with the rest of the Deep South. The woods around Hattiesburg are notorious...that whole corner of the state.... North Louisiana, most of Arkansas, much of Alabama, Southwest Missouri...

And it's getting scarier, because those people are growing and manufacturing drugs, these days. Their cousin is likely to be Sherriff. Half the time, Mississippi's Governors are from those families, too. And people from foreign countries are setting up growing and distribution networks. So, when your family goes missing, some power broker Lawyer in Jackson, or Baton Rouge, or Little Rock, or DC will just pick up the phone and kill any investigation. And a news blackout of the story is pretty-much automatic.
and now you live in Lake Oswego? wtf? this is a very strange post. do you have any stories about the kind of stuff you're describing?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:30 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Much of the lore about scary Hillbillies was manufactured or exaggerated by New York Writers, about a century ago, to justify the Hill People's dispossession
New York writers? Please tell me you mean NYC.

If anybody from upstate NY wrote that then they would be writing about themselves and applying it to the south. And being hypocrites probably.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,970,189 times
There is a town near Denver named Ward, that a friend of mine drove through and explained how he felt "violated" after going through that little town. I'm not sure if it counts as hillbilly, but it's very, overly hippy-like. I kind of want to go check it out now.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:06 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
New York writers? Please tell me you mean NYC.

If anybody from upstate NY wrote that then they would be writing about themselves and applying it to the south. And being hypocrites probably.
The post you quoted is just plain weird.
I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks, still own a house and farm there, people are not disappearing there all the time.
I dont know where people get this stuff.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:23 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,538,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The post you quoted is just plain weird.
I grew up in the Missouri Ozarks, still own a house and farm there, people are not disappearing there all the time.
I dont know where people get this stuff.
Last I checked people weren't vanishing in Mississippi either. XD

I've been all over Mississippi and I'm still here!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Last I checked people weren't vanishing in Mississippi either. XD

I've been all over Mississippi and I'm still here!
Having driven all over the rural South for most of my life, I suppose I should consider myself lucky that I didnt disappear!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
all that's fine and good, but it doesn't change the fact that it looks like a **** bomb went off in Dayton.

When one of those Michigan companies, GM, pulled out of Dayton, things really started to go downhill there. Didn't Mead also pull out of Dayton?

Old 08-07-2011, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,525 times
Default origins of hillbillies...

Scotland Highlands, origin of all hillbillies.. then to lowland scotland , north england , glasgopw, edinburgh, and ulster ,, where ulster scots or scots irish went to appalachia and later west to all points in between....

hillbillies not to be confused with rural germans.. pennsylvania dutch..much of texas..country music is from rural german;;; bluegrass , banjo and mt.dew is hillbillie...

watch Benny Hill Show half the skits are about hillbillies..

reply for more info)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City