U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM

711 posts, read 1,248,275 times

Advertisements

I went to a Huddle House coming thru West Virginia before...

That **** was wild....

Old 08-12-2012, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
Okay, you're right. Everyone is entitled to be creeped out. Should be in the Bill of Rights. But what I would like to ask some of these posters is why would they get the willies when someone in a remote mountain town looks at them with suspicion? Because these are places that don't normally see a lot of traffic, so when one wanders into one of these mountain hamlets, the residents wonder what the visitor is up to. I think that's a natural reaction. So the first line of defense it to put the visitor on notice that he or she is being watched. Hell that's better than just shooting first and asking questions later, right? I mean the people on this board from the Bronx or Boston might forget that there are places where pedestrians are an oddity. I mean if you live in Calhoun County, WV or Meigs County, OH why are you walking up the road in front of "my house"? Whereas if you live in Columbus or Atlanta you have people walking around all the time. As for me, I have visited 525 "coal camps" or "coal patches" in WV, KY, VA, PA, MD, and OH. Only a few times did I feel fearful. I walked up these hollows and ridges taking photos and talking to a few people in the road or on porches. I survived. Lately I have been out in the Rust Belt. When I wander into the hood in Akron and Youngstown, the residents look at me with suspicion, same as the hillbilly towns, because they want to know why I am there? Why is this white guy walking around in Braddock or Youngstown taking pictures? So its not just the hills. The hood has eyes, too. But that's another thread.
Honestly, though, drugs have taken a deep root in WV and KY, and that is reason to be fearful. If you stay at a hotel in Beckley, WV, better park your car under a street light, and not leave anything in sight in the car.
I moved from a large city in Virginia to a small town in WV about 40 miles from Beckley. I have seen more robberies, murders and unbelievable crimes stories in this area over the past 6 years than I did in the 35 years i lived in Roanoke. A lot of it IS because of poverty and drugs. Many of my daughters friends are in foster homes or with other family members, mostly grandparents raising children because their parents are on drugs or in jail. I can tell some crazy stories about some of the crimes. Like a few months ago someone blew up 5 cars in the state police parking lot.
I want to say that most of the people here are some of the hardest working farmers, coal miners and small business owners. They help each other and I see more people volunteer in non-profit orinazations. Life is interesting here. I always say "that could happen only in WV". I would rather live in this small town than a big city. Especially in the northern states.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:38 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,850,780 times
Colorado City, AZ hands down.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,969 times
The funniest thing I have ever read is right here...................This whole series of hillbillies tickles the tar out of me. I am a redneck/hillbilly/countrybumpkin......call it what you will. But I am college educated with a nursing degree and actually work at it. My best friends are as red as they come and backwoods as their neighbor. Yet I would trust them with my valuables and my life before I would venture in to live in a city or "gated community" with a bunch of wealthy egotists. Just sayin.............

Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,729,508 times
Probably somewhere in rural texas where its just prarie and far isolated from most cities.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,527,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Colorado City, AZ hands down.
^ We have a winner.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:44 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Sneedville, TN

Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM

20,168 posts, read 34,473,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteNCRepublican View Post
^ We have a winner.
That is the town dominated by a cult. It must still be there.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,527,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That is the town dominated by a cult. It must still be there.
Yea, I've heard that too. I wouldn't wanna visit that place...ever. At least until the FLDS's influence is destroyed.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM

880 posts, read 2,467,315 times
Of the places I've been, the town of Brooks GA comes to mind. Otherwise, I would say Ochiltree County, TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or