U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 01:00 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,694,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
had something to do with it...maybe not.

Arizona placing foster children in polygamist enclave of Colorado City; Supervisor concerned
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS January 12, 2013 - 1:56 pm EST

Arizona placing foster children in polygamist enclave of Colorado City; Supervisor concerned
Why would they place them with that cult?

Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,694,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
I hate to say this, but I couldn't wait to get out of Gettysburg PA. The battlefield was cool, but the town was so depressing. Not creepy, but depressing.

Creepiest town I ever went to was some place near Beckley, West Virginia (which isn't so great either). It was full of those run down old row houses that I've seen a lot of in West Virginia. Some of the buildings looked like businesses but the only one that appeared open had "XXX" on the sign. Every vehicle was an old pick up truck. Everybody had a mullet, except for some neo nazis I saw at a convenience store. And yes, they were neo nazis. It was a father and his kids with shaved heads, white power t shirts, and a truck with a nazi flag. The whole town was horrible.

Georgia has plenty of creepy little towns, but none as bad as that s far as I can remember.
What was the name of that town near Beckley?

Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 AM

4,093 posts, read 4,702,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
hillbillies can be found everywhere. You can find them in rural california all the way to maine. You can find them almost anywhere in the country.
That is true. Though not all of them will self identify as such.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
I live and grew up in the hills of northern Appalachia about an hour north of NYC I've been called a hillbilly before me and my friends live smack in the middle of the woods and the kids that live in town consider us outside kids Hillbillies/Rednecks cuz we live in the hills and mountains we spend most of our time in the woods and we live a different lifestyle than the richer people but those rich kids from the suburbs always refer to us as hillfolk so it's all matter of perspective

Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,041,523 times
Richfield Springs, New York was the most hillbilly town in the part of upstate New York I grew up in (Mohawk Valley). Much of rural upstate NY is somewhat hillbillyish but I remember Richfield Springs as being borderline Deliverance though I haven't been there for 30 years.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:13 AM

4,093 posts, read 4,702,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Richfield Springs, New York was the most hillbilly town in the part of upstate New York I grew up in (Mohawk Valley). Much of rural upstate NY is somewhat hillbillyish but I remember Richfield Springs as being borderline Deliverance though I haven't been there for 30 years.
NAH! New York is nothing but cities from end to end don't you know?

I grew up in the hills of the southern tier. I remember feeling very out of place when I visited Rochester. People were staring at my sister and I like we were filthy. Somebody in a game store in Henrietta even asked me where I was from based on my accent... he thought I was Midwestern.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 19,038 times
Default Elaine?

Wonder what happened to Elaine?

Old 09-09-2013, 05:25 AM

995 posts, read 1,745,345 times
Scariest place I've ever run across is Laurens, SC.....the home of the "World's Only Klan Museum". It even has a souvenir counter where you can by "memorabilia"!!:

Frank Beacham's Journal: A Visit to South Carolina's Redneck Shop and Ku Klux Klan Museum

I was working at a job in Greenville, SC at the time, and knew then and there that this was not the state where I belonged.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,483 times
Fruithurst Alabama...

wait a minute, that's a redneck town

Old 09-11-2013, 12:12 PM
CTC

665 posts, read 1,200,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I understand that but my husband has never lived in either area. He has only lived here in Kentucky since moving from Ireland 6 years ago. I am guessing that the youse thing was brought over from the Irish.
"youse" is very common in Butte, Montana which was settled by Irish Miners. My coworkers (at a mine near Butte) use the term all the time-very surprising the first time I heard it-no Philly/Jersey accent here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or