Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 11:04 AM

208 posts, read 603,268 times

Advertisements

This got me thinking....I watched an episode of Wife Swap or Trading Spouses (can't remember which one) and it was an episode where a rural New Jersey wife swapped lives with a wealthy New York City family. It was kind of funny hearing the husband from New York calling the New Jersey woman's lifestyle hillbilly and backward. (New Jersey usually not being a place where hillbilly stereotypes are the norm and being in the dense NE corridor.)I'm guessing (based on the scenery) they were from the part where mountains and hills go through. Honestly the woman did remind me of folks back in southwestern Virginia and northeastern Tennessee, but in a good way.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:29 AM

1,576 posts, read 5,671,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyes30 View Post
This got me thinking....I watched an episode of Wife Swap or Trading Spouses (can't remember which one) and it was an episode where a rural New Jersey wife swapped lives with a wealthy New York City family. It was kind of funny hearing the husband from New York calling the New Jersey woman's lifestyle hillbilly and backward. (New Jersey usually not being a place where hillbilly stereotypes are the norm and being in the dense NE corridor.)I'm guessing (based on the scenery) they were from the part where mountains and hills go through. Honestly the woman did remind me of folks back in southwestern Virginia and northeastern Tennessee, but in a good way.
Very true, I live in NJ and been to hilbilly towns in the NW region and the hick areas towards the SW and SE region of NJ.
Like i said, it's everywhere.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:33 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,336,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
um....... the only place in Florida that does not have rednecks is Miami.

As far as your black comment...... i believe newarkbomb is married to a african american woman and he is white

As far your rant a couple of post ago....... I will flat out say it

The south has the most rednecks of any region. Currently, I live in SC and have NEVER experienced people like this before in my life

Name a town in South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi or Louisiania that is not filled with rednecks?
1. correction, a redneck is not necessarily a hillbilly and the reverse is true of a hillbilly. 2. i could care less to whom or what he is married, it is not material to my perceptions. 3. that is strictly your right to express your beliefs and opinions...good for you. it is great to live in our country and be able to express our beliefs. 4. perhaps you will be able to get out and about more in the future. 5. i am not concerned with rednecks, and, therefore, i do not associate with them nor form relationships with said group. you have a pleasant evening.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:37 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,473,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
1. correction, a redneck is not necessarily a hillbilly and the reverse is true of a hillbilly. 2. i could care less to whom or what he is married, it is not material to my perceptions. 3. that is strictly your right to express your beliefs and opinions...good for you. it is great to live in our country and be able to express our beliefs. 4. perhaps you will be able to get out and about more in the future. 5. i am not concerned with rednecks, and, therefore, i do not associate with them nor form relationships with said group. you have a pleasant evening.
no, maybe you will be able to get out more in the future

maybe with some traveling you will realize the state of florida is.........

The Dukes of Hazzard (rednecks) + The Golden Girls (snowbirds) = Florida

Old 05-02-2009, 02:43 PM

Default aliens have landed...i've been told!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
i have an idealistic notion of rural areas as being close to nature, peaceful and beautiful etc. well, i don't know what it is about rural or country areas in america but you don't get that feeling at all, even though it may be rural it is unbearably creepy, oppressive and depressing feeling. i still haven't figured out if it's an actual energy field created by the residents or it's the landscape or a combination.

the "country" in america is usually not nice at all, no wonder housing in those areas are usually dirt cheap. i still look in those areas but it's never what it's cracked up to be logically in your mind-less people, open spaces etc. it's usually very ugly too.

i'm sure there are some more rare areas like northwest in the mountains or forests where it's not like that as much but the rural areas in america just are not quaint, it's just horrible.
i think what energy you are feeling is caused by the aliens at roswell, nm. they are sending out unusual negative energy which causes one to turn against certain areas of the united states. eventually, spaceships will circle the land, while they carry large numbers of ugly, toothless, illiterate people...these will do the aliens' bidding, i suppose.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I really have no idea what you're talking about to be completely honest.
-FL does have hillbilly locations, I lived there for 5 months (not by choice).. I been to Jacksonville, and that place is very redneck.
-Hillbillies are known as people who live in the rural areas of the Appalachian mountain region, usually, but they are found in other places since we're talking about a few hundred running as the USA.. I know what a hillbilly is.
-Don't even start with the race card, because as someone else explained it I have a black wife, and a bi-racial daughter and i grew up in a school with a 65% black population and i had more black friends than anything, so i'm pretty comfortable talking about they're race without always feelin like i'm racist by anything i say like a lot of other suburban white people do. The rural southern black dialect is a lot different from the urban NJ accent. So yes, it was different.
-I didn't post a video site... ? google street view?

So to say, i been to a lot of FL. I admitted i never been to Southwest Glades, but i do realize that the hillbilly/redneck/hick vibe is found in a lot of rural FL. At least i didn't mention a "scarey" hillbilly town that i never heard about in depth, or just picked one out of the clear blue sky because of stereotypes, like most people do on CD... so to you... I don't really think what you rambled about is proving anything.

You want me to be more accurate.
Oniontown, NY is a crazy hillbilly town.... but how am i supposed to know that for sure, I only heard rumors, and i never been there or had a presentation about it.. but you would just agree with it because its in the Appalachian region and because you're just as ignorant to it.
video, meaning sight. i have given all the time to this that i desire to give, consequently, i care not to further engage with you or yours. good day.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:50 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,671,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
video, meaning sight. i have given all the time to this that i desire to give, consequently, i care not to further engage with you or yours. good day.
1. good 2. good day to you too

Old 05-03-2009, 10:27 AM

[quote=leaana;8615010]i have an idealistic notion of rural areas as being close to nature, peaceful and beautiful etc. well, i don't know what it is about rural or country areas in america but you don't get that feeling at all, even though it may be rural it is unbearably creepy, oppressive and depressing feeling. i still haven't figured out if it's an actual energy field created by the residents or it's the landscape or a combination.

the "country" in america is usually not nice at all, no wonder housing in those areas are usually dirt cheap. i still look in those areas but it's never what it's cracked up to be logically in your mind-less people, open spaces etc. it's usually very ugly too.

i'm sure there are some more rare areas like northwest in the mountains or forests where it's not like that as much but the rural areas in america just are not quaint, it's just horrible.[/quote

i have finally been able to decipher this post after going back through the thread. those in the "northwest" will probably understand this post better than people. good look in locating your shangrila. (sp chk will nt regz)

Old 05-03-2009, 09:40 PM

149 posts, read 409,814 times
Kingchef, I don't think you honestly know squat about east TN (scratching in inappropriate places and then smelling their fingers?)??? I don't understand why you are so convinced that East TN is so chock-full of backwards, uneducated, prejudice, "salt-of-the-earth" people. Do you really think we don't bathe, wear shoes, and have medical care? Do you really believe that we all make moonshine, have no running water, and live off the land? People here are, believe it or not, NO MORE IDIOTIC, SIMPLE-MINDED, DIRTY, OR UNEDUCATED THAN ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD! And just so you know, everyone I know has all their teeth, and our public schools (Science Hill High School and Dobyns Bennett High School) are two of the best in not only the state of Tennessee, but the whole country, so I wonder where all that "uneducated, backwoods people" BS comes from.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:06 PM

Talking the paper...read by the brook...the book???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
Kingchef, I don't think you honestly know squat about east TN (scratching in inappropriate places and then smelling their fingers?)??? I don't understand why you are so convinced that East TN is so chock-full of backwards, uneducated, prejudice, "salt-of-the-earth" people. Do you really think we don't bathe, wear shoes, and have medical care? Do you really believe that we all make moonshine, have no running water, and live off the land? People here are, believe it or not, NO MORE IDIOTIC, SIMPLE-MINDED, DIRTY, OR UNEDUCATED THAN ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD! And just so you know, everyone I know has all their teeth, and our public schools (Science Hill High School and Dobyns Bennett High School) are two of the best in not only the state of Tennessee, but the whole country, so I wonder where all that "uneducated, backwoods people" BS comes from.
in a nutshell around east tn: 1. REALLY? 2. clue: READ THE THREAD! 3. MAYBE, SOME. 4. NO. 5. SOME. 6. YES, SOME. 7. I KNOW! 8. REALLY? 9. WONDERFUL!!! CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND YOURS FOR YOUR PART IN EDUCATING TENNESSEANS. and 10. READ THE POSTS, BABY, READ THE POSTS...TAKE IT UP WITH THE JUDGE: NOT ME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City