Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times

Advertisements

In the world? For me it must be Sydney or Singapore. Common courtesy seems lacking in both cities. People tend to be rude/pushy in Sydney, while in Singapore the shopkeepers were very stern, businesslike and very cold, as were most people in restaurants etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 PM

31 posts, read 62,722 times
new york city, hate it . also there was nothing to do besides walk in times square and go to the statue of liberty, i didnt go to the Empire state building becouse everyone said it was a waste of time so we just walked around manhattan for a day.

then we got back to LA (home) and we went to Six Flags and because they closed a 6pm we went to walk in Downtown LA (LA is better than NYC)

Old 04-16-2011, 11:09 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Paris, but I'm not exactly a world traveler. Based on my experience here in LA I would guess any number of Asian cities would beat that.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:36 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Here's a funny ranking of rudeness based on curse words used. LOL. Grain of salt folks.

Foursquare checks in with world's rudest cities - USATODAY.com

Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,255,611 times
I'm going with Beijing on this one...man, talk about RUDE and pushy....I went there in 2009 and an elderly lady traveling with me was using a walker..do you know people PUSHED her....I was like...wth....but apparently that is the norm...sheesh people.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Here's a funny ranking of rudeness based on curse words used. LOL. Grain of salt folks.

Foursquare checks in with world's rudest cities - USATODAY.com
Lol, wasn't the kind of rudeness I was thinking about. I don't mind swearing (not too much though) as long as people treat you with courtesy and respect.

Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Paris, but I'm not exactly a world traveler. Based on my experience here in LA I would guess any number of Asian cities would beat that.
I wouldn't be so quick to stereotype, as in my experience friendliness varies alot depending on which Asian country you are in. Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia (outside KL and a few other cities) are friendly, while Singapore is unfriendly, and countries like Japan and China friendly and unfriendly in different ways.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:02 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Lviv in Ukraine was really unwelcoming with people shouting at you in Ukrainian if you don't understand something, always trying to overcharge you, no English spoken anywhere, no smiling etc, though maybe if you go in summer people lighten up a bit. When I moved to London it took a while to get used to the lack of personal space, everybody walking really fast, nobody wanting to talk to you etc, but I'm used to it now.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:44 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKLO View Post
I'm going with Beijing on this one...man, talk about RUDE and pushy....I went there in 2009 and an elderly lady traveling with me was using a walker..do you know people PUSHED her....I was like...wth....but apparently that is the norm...sheesh people.
Hell, SF's Chinatown is bad enough; I can only imagine what it's like in a major city in China!

The first couple times I went down Stockton St., I would stop for old ladies and women, since I was raised in a military family with a Southern father and grew up in New England. It's just what you do. Then I realized that a) it didn't get me anywhere and b) those same women would push me over if they knew they could get away with it.

The only way to navigate Chinatown is to go full-steam ahead! Can't imagine what it'd be like in Shanghai.

That said, SF is awesome. Least friendly city I've been to in the US? Seattle, hands-down. People are polite, and that throws off the tourists... but if you actually live there and are from somewhere else? I don't think I can imagine a less friendly place, and yes: I've lived in Boston, NYC, and LA, as well.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:58 AM

146 posts, read 250,038 times
Marsaille, France. Whenever I went to another foreign country and I was trying to communicate everyone else will work with you through sign language piecing what words you do know together. Charades whatever works. In Marsaille if they couldn't understand you they would look at you as if you stunk and wordlessly walk off. I've never felt so much open hostility in my life. That was in "99"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City