Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City?
Vancouver, British Columbia 41 42.71%
Victoria, British Columbia 9 9.38%
Seattle, Washington 46 47.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:23 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, can you tell me where the historic buildings of Vancouver are? The Vancouver art gallery in Downtown seems like the only historic building.
Um, did you miss the Gastown District?

Welcome to Gastown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Can you give me a +1 rep point then if you agreed with what I said about Seattle and Vancouver. I tried to give you a +1 rep point again but city-data settings doesn't let me because I gave you a +1 rep point in another post recently.

I agree that even though Victoria isn't as great as Seattle and Vancouver it still has nice things about it too such as those places in Victoria you mentioned. Seattle and Vancouver most of the time seem like pretty slow paced cities to me but Victoria has an EVEN slower pace than Seattle and Vancouver. Personally, Victoria seems too slow paced and quiet to me.

However, I also like that Victoria is located on Vancouver Island itself. It is pretty close by to Tofino, Strathcona Provincial park and other great places on Vancouver island. It is also the mildest weather place in the entire country of Canada I heard.
I gave you a +1 rep point before you asked for one and that was before I read your post on lack of historic buildings in Vancouver, which I think you've realised is not true (take a walk around Gastown). With all due respect you EARN rep points, you don't ask for them, nor do they need specific recognition. They're just a simple pat on the back and shouldn't come with expectations. I'm not working against you here, just part of the learning curve in blog writing. Just saying...

Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,821 times
Quote:
Well, it was technically possible for you to have as many great experiences and as great a time for Seattle too as you did in Vancouver/San Francisco/Portland/San Diego/Los Angeles/and Victoria. But for some reason you just had worse luck with Seattle than those other cities and not getting to know Seattle as much as those other cities.

For example, you didn't seem to know any of those nightlife places and cultural events that I listed that exist in Seattle! You also didn't seem to get to know the best neighborhood areas and restaurants in Seattle.
Whoever told you Vancouver lacks historic buildings is a ****ing moron! Then again, what does it say about you that you would listen to such a person? Vancouver has way more historic buildings than Seattle. The entire downtown eastside, Gastown, and Chinatown are almost nothing BUT old buildings. And hundreds more exist throughout the city. The only thing similar Seattle has to the downtown eastside is Pioneer Square, but it's a fraction the size.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:09 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,394 times
Being originally born and raised in Seattle you think my vote would go to my hometown, but unfortunately I have such great memories of good times in Vancouver B.C. that my vote went north.

There is no doubt that of the 3 cities Seattle has the best economy and most opportunity. So if your chasing money Seattle would be the best place.

But when it comes to quality of life and overall city living I find Vancouver to win by a long shot. Good nightlife, great shopping, good public transit, great restaurants, and tons of activities make Vancouver a much better place. Downtown Vancouver has a lot going for it and city is becoming quite dense which is key to any successful city. I also mentioned Public transit and Vancouver blows Seattle out of the water. Anybody that has visited Seattle knows how much of a pain it is to get around. While the Link Rail is being built(and it will be 20 years before it becomes fully functional for the Sea-tac metro), Vancouver has an already functional rail system known as the Skytrain and it can get you pretty much anywhere you need to be while visiting Vancouver.

Both cities are very similar, but in the end Vancouver offers everything that Seattle offers(except an overpriced space needle) and more.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,358,226 times
415-I think if you have a personal experience in a city that was less than savory it will color your opinion of said city. And that's perfectly fine.

Just don't expect 90% of other people who had OK or good experiences in that city to agree with you.

Don't be afraid to take responsibility for what you say. Having all that negative energy about one city and having to constantly and ad nauseum repeat it tells me that there's some deep personal issue here that is probably beyond any of us to help out. It's one thing to try and be objective about something. It's another to having to constantly repeat an opinion into what amounts to a void (the Internet). Nobody will hear you. It does you no good.

But do look into that past hole and see why you have to so vehemently rage against a place you don't even live in anymore. I pray for you. Take care.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:09 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
415-I think if you have a personal experience in a city that was less than savory it will color your opinion of said city. And that's perfectly fine.
I know it's fine, but you are one of the people who for whatever reasons seems preoccupied with putting me down for voicing my opinions. May I reference the thread in the Seattle forum where you made a dismissive and condescending comment about me... and then proceeded to basically agree with what I said?? As I said there, you owe me an apology. Still waiting, not that I expect to get it!

Quote:
Just don't expect 90% of other people who had OK or good experiences in that city to agree with you.
I don't. Why would I expect that someone who likes a place should agree with my dislike?

Quote:
Don't be afraid to take responsibility for what you say.
I'm not, in any way shape or form, and never have been. I stand by every negative comment I've ever made about the place. That seems to be one of the reasons you're so bothered by me!

Quote:
Having all that negative energy about one city and having to constantly and ad nauseum repeat it tells me that there's some deep personal issue here that is probably beyond any of us to help out.
Like my original post in this thread, where I spent more time describing what I liked about Victoria and didn't actually go into any details about why I dislike Seattle? Sure, I said a couple negative things about the place... so what?

Why are you so concerned with what I say about Seattle?

Quote:
It's one thing to try and be objective about something. It's another to having to constantly repeat an opinion into what amounts to a void (the Internet). Nobody will hear you. It does you no good.
And yet, I do it anyway, and have no real compulsion to stop.

Oh well. Live and let live

Quote:
But do look into that past hole and see why you have to so vehemently rage against a place you don't even live in anymore.
Rage?? Haha, none of the statements I've made here are "raging" against Seattle. I've done it before, sure, generally because someone in the Seattle forum decided to insult me over my disagreements over the place. Most of these people directly reference what they suppose is some sort of mental/emotional defect of mine that fills me up with blind rage or hate or spite... none of which is the case.

The vast, vast bulk of my posts here have nothing to do with Seattle. I posted something in a recent thread noting that Seattle has areas that feel extremely European and say nothing ill of it. I've spent much more time in political discussions, talking about cars, or dispensing relationship advice than I have ripping apart Seattle. If you go to the "how is racism in Seattle?" thread, you'll note that I stick up for the place consistently and have said that it's a model for the rest of the US in that sense!!!

May I point out that most of what I've devoted to in this thread up to this point is responding to people taking things too personally when disagreeing with me?

Quote:
I pray for you. Take care.
Thanks, but I don't need your prayers, save your effort and keep them for yourself.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:51 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
The vast, vast bulk of my posts here have nothing to do with Seattle.
Actually, I briefly checked your city-data data username profile information before and it says you had 278 posts in the Seattle forum which is your third highest out of the top 5 forums you post in. You also had posts about Seattle in other forums such as the city vs. city and probably in relationships too.

You have at least 100 more posts in the Seattle forum than you do in the San Francisco forum. 278 in Seattle while having 175 in San Francisco. You also have almost 100 more posts in the Seattle forum than in the city vs. city forum and you still have Seattle related posts in the city vs. city too.

Relationships: 520
Automotive: 343
Seattle area: 278
City vs. City: 194
San Francisco: 175

Also look what you said here:
Quote:
Eskercurve: It's one thing to try and be objective about something. It's another to having to constantly repeat an opinion into what amounts to a void (the Internet). Nobody will hear you. It does you no good.
415_l's response: And yet, I do it anyway, and have no real compulsion to stop.
Oh well.
It is perfectly fine if you don't like Seattle but I am not sure why you want to negatively talk about Seattle so much of the time and make it seem like you want others to dislike Seattle and view it negatively too.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:45 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Actually, I briefly checked your city-data data username profile information before and it says you had 278 posts in the Seattle forum which is your third highest out of the top 5 forums you post in. You also had posts about Seattle in other forums such as the city vs. city and probably in relationships too.

You have at least 100 more posts in the Seattle forum than you do in the San Francisco forum. 278 in Seattle while having 175 in San Francisco. You also have almost 100 more posts in the Seattle forum than in the city vs. city forum and you still have Seattle related posts in the city vs. city too.

Relationships: 520
Automotive: 343
Seattle area: 278
City vs. City: 194
San Francisco: 175
Okay, let's look at it by the numbers:

Seattle: 278
All other posts listed in my top categories: 1,232
Total posts I've made: 2,482
That leaves 972 posts in none of these categories.

In total, of the 2,204 posts I've made here, 2204 are in other categories. I don't frequently post in the Seattle section anymore either, and so that number barely moves. Seattle makes up about 10% of my total posts.

Quote:
Also look what you said here:
Uh huh...?

Quote:
It is perfectly fine if you don't like Seattle but I am not sure why you want to negatively talk about Seattle so much of the time and make it seem like you want others to dislike Seattle and view it negatively too.
I'm not sure why it bothers you so much. You're welcome to your own opinion, I'm welcome to mine. Let it rest.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 05-04-2011 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM

22 posts, read 56,785 times
VANcity!!!!

Old 05-07-2011, 10:54 AM

293 posts, read 900,342 times
Seattle. Vancouver beats Seattle in some regards, but overall, I think Seattle is easily the better city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City