U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 154 47.98%
New York 167 52.02%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:00 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,049,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I voted NY, but I'm thinking neither would be for me. NC is a lot more expensive than people think. NYC is great if you make a million dollars a year. I'll pass on either. Give me Maryland.
Maryland is far more expensive than anywhere in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post
I have read all nine pages for this thread, and can I just say something? Saying that NoVa offers more IS in fact an opinion because it may offer things that one person may like over another. It depends on what THEY like to do. That state may offer more of what HE likes. For example, I feel that New York offers more for ME in terms of what I want and like. NoVa may offer more of what Eek likes, so it is an opinion.
thank you. i have no idea what this guy's agenda is. anybody that is capable of comprehending what they've read in my posts can see where i've said that its my personal opinion even before this guy made it his God given duty to go back and forth with me over absolutely nothing.

even if he THOUGHT that i was trying to pass off my opinion as fact, when he said as much i specifically stated, multiple times that my posts in this thread are my OPINION.

yet he chooses to go on about nothing.

again, the posts in question all state that they're my opinion somewhere in the posts, unedited and after he started making a big deal over nothing i told him that my opinions about nc vs va are my opinions...

ridiculous.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But the problem is that he did not add that caveat. He was speaking in absolute, flat-out terms and even one thing he did mention that he likes (major league pro sports) is something that NC has that NoVA doesn't so he was still wrong.
as someone that has lived in charlotte and went to school in NC for 4 years, i am aware that NC has major sports. reread the damn posts instead of skimming or whatever it is that you're doing.

there is no major league baseball team in nc. and nova has access to (and most ppl follow) dc teams, not to mention its college sports scene (which i'm not into but somebody else brought up nc's college sports scene). sports was never a *major* thing as to why i prefer va over nc anyway (i'm a giants, yankees and knicks fan so...) but its something that you chose to focus on.

thats fine but let me have my opinions. why get butt hurt over them?

i feel that va is better than nc and thats my personal opinion.
personal.
opinion.
personal opinion.
personal.
OPINION.

i like the diversity within the job market better there, the houses and their proximity to what i feel is a "real city," the public transportation, it "feels" cleaner, etc.

hop off and let me prefer one thing over the other.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:25 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,075,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
as someone that has lived in charlotte and went to school in NC for 4 years, i am aware that NC has major sports. reread the damn posts instead of skimming or whatever it is that you're doing.

there is no major league baseball team in nc. and nova has access to (and most ppl follow) dc teams, not to mention its college sports scene (which i'm not into but somebody else brought up nc's college sports scene). sports was never a *major* thing as to why i prefer va over nc anyway (i'm a giants, yankees and knicks fan so...) but its something that you chose to focus on.

thats fine but let me have my opinions. why get butt hurt over them?

i feel that va is better than nc and thats my personal opinion.
personal.
opinion.
personal opinion.
personal.
OPINION.

i like the diversity within the job market better there, the houses and their proximity to what i feel is a "real city," the public transportation, it "feels" cleaner, etc.

hop off and let me prefer one thing over the other.
Didn't you say you were done? You just can't help it, can you?

As I said earlier, you can like one more than the other and think one is better than the other which is a personal opinion. I never disputed that. But you said that NoVA offers more than NC, and you never limited that to things that you preferred, but spoke in a broadbased fashion. THAT is where you were incorrect. Even with sports NC still wins because like you said, the sports teams are in DC and MD, not NoVA. What one has access to and what one actually has are two totally different things.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:34 PM

3,878 posts, read 4,501,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Am I the only one who thinks New York state is kind of creepy? Outside of the cities, there's just something so cold and ominous about the countryside of the Northeast. Makes me think of things like the Amityville Horror or The Village.
It is. Has that creepy Appalachian-ness to it. I could tell you some interesting stories having grown up out there.

But there are some really good folks out there as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:35 PM

I picked NY for sentimental value, but I'm rather fond of NC as well. It truly feels like New York's southern brother.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:56 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,305,703 times
New York.......IMHO.....It's cities are more interesting and diverse..........and I like lotsa snow.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM

3,012 posts, read 5,241,225 times
is it me or does upstate new york feel like a northern version of north carolina

Old 05-02-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
is it me or does upstate new york feel like a northern version of north carolina
You would be quite correct in that assumption!

Tons of similarities. Appalachians after all.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,519,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
You would be quite correct in that assumption!

Tons of similarities. Appalachians after all.
how so? Some of the landscape may be similar but the cities are nothing alike. The people are nothing alike. The cultures are nothing alike. Aside from minor geographical differences they are worlds apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or