U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 154 47.98%
New York 167 52.02%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 AM

54,503 posts, read 78,019,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
how so? Some of the landscape may be similar but the cities are nothing alike. The people are nothing alike. The cultures are nothing alike. Aside from minor geographical differences they are worlds apart.
In some physical and economic aspects that are similar, but there are quite a few differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:45 AM

3,012 posts, read 5,239,547 times
Quote:
how so? Some of the landscape may be similar but the cities are nothing alike. The people are nothing alike. The cultures are nothing alike. Aside from minor geographical differences they are worlds apart.
Thats why i made a point to say "Northern" version. And i was mainly talking about the areas outside the cities

Old 05-03-2011, 12:00 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,495,416 times
Quote:
The cities are nothing alike for certain. But the rural communities are quite similar. Unless you count an accent as such a major difference that there can be no common ground.

Politics in rural NY are far less liberal than the city areas, religion is much stronger, and people are generally country and relatively laid back. Lots of hunting and fishing and whatnot.

So with that in mind, please show me these worlds-apart differences. And don't cite history, that's in the past. (pun)

Truly I am interested in these chasms of differences.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,517,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
The cities are nothing alike for certain. But the rural communities are quite similar. Unless you count an accent as such a major difference that there can be no common ground.

Politics in rural NY are far less liberal than the city areas, religion is much stronger, and people are generally country and relatively laid back. Lots of hunting and fishing and whatnot.

So with that in mind, please show me these worlds-apart differences. And don't cite history, that's in the past. (pun)

Truly I am interested in these chasms of differences.
no doubt that the people in rural areas will be similar. But the majority of people upstate live in city/suburban areas which are nothing like the counterparts in NC.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 PM

583 posts, read 988,379 times
Quote:
no doubt that the people in rural areas will be similar. But the majority of people upstate live in city/suburban areas which are nothing like the counterparts in NC.
Actually the majority of people in NC live in city/suburban areas as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:19 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,517,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Actually the majority of people in NC live in city/suburban areas as well.
I wasn't saying that they didn't. I think it's safe to say for most places.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM

583 posts, read 988,379 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying that they didn't. I think it's safe to say for most places.
Ahh gotcha, I see what you were saying now.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Well sure. Like I said, the city areas are very different. With a few exceptions like Elmira, which is not very urban despite being a sizable city.

But the rest of the state is very similar. Including the small towns like Watkins Glen, Odessa, Van Etten, ETC.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:51 PM

54,503 posts, read 78,019,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Well sure. Like I said, the city areas are very different. With a few exceptions like Elmira, which is not very urban despite being a sizable city.

But the rest of the state is very similar. Including the small towns like Watkins Glen, Odessa, Van Etten, ETC.
I don't know, as Elmira has some legitimately urban neighborhoods.

I think the difference in the rural areas are racial demographics. You can find rural areas with high Black populations in NC, especially in the eastern part of the state. You can find some diverse small towns in NY, but the volume and make up is different. You can find examples in the Hudson Valley, Wayne, Orleans and to a degree Genesee, Livingston, Madison and a maybe a few other counties in NY.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know, as Elmira has some legitimately urban neighborhoods.

I think the difference in the rural areas are racial demographics. You can find rural areas with high Black populations in NC, especially in the eastern part of the state. You can find some diverse small towns in NY, but the volume and make up is different. You can find examples in the Hudson Valley, Wayne, Orleans and to a degree Genesee, Livingston, Madison and a maybe a few other counties in NY.
That's true. I never consider color when I think of things. I'm either not racist or stupid. XD

Elmira does have urban areas, but I know quite a few folks there who are just... country. Probably doesn't help that the city is largely dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or