Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 164 48.24%
New York 176 51.76%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The large black population throughout most of the South as compared to say mostly cities in the North and West probably has more to do with the history of slavery in this country. However even in the South, there tends to be less blacks in certain areas like the mountains.

The large wealthy slave owners had the majority of slaves and they tended to avoid certain hard to farm areas like the Appalchian Mountains. Instead, it was a poorer white population who moved to the mountains areas now called Appalachia. They had few or no slaves. And you also had a very small surviving Indian population, the eastern band of Cherokees.

Of course this was many years ago and people have been moving around. But even today you can still how slavery effected the settlement patterns of the United States. Harder to see but just as real is the effect slavery had on people, and especially on black Americans.
Very true and NC is a state that is a great example of this.

NY is interesting because there has always been Black folks there due to slavery. Most of it was concentrated in the Mohawk and Hudson River Valleys and the rest of Downstate. It didn't end until 1827 and at one time had more slaves than GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 06:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Very true and NC is a state that is a great example of this.

NY is interesting because there has always been Black folks there due to slavery. Most of it was concentrated in the Mohawk and Hudson River Valleys and the rest of Downstate. It didn't end until 1827 and at one time had more slaves than GA.
Maybe this is because New York was orginially settled by the Dutch as New Netherland. They had a large slave population (by northern standards anyway) simply because there were not enough Dutch colonists. This may also be why the Dutch encouraged other groups to come to New York like the Walloons (Belgians) and French Huguenots. Incredibly they also allowed English settlers from New England to come in even though they must have known it might eventually undermine the colony.

We also had large landowners who were trying to set up large feudal manors like they had back in Europe. At least some of these, like the Philipse Manor in Westchester County, had slaves.

New Jersey has a very similar history.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM

133 posts, read 236,376 times
I've considered moving to NC, it's a lot like NY, just not as depressed. Not to say upstate NY is beautiful, but it's a bit stressed. I'd probably find a job faster in upstate NY faster than I can in NC though, but that's a moot point.
Now if money wasn't an issue, I'd be living in Saratoga Springs and learning how to ski.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:49 PM

133 posts, read 236,376 times
Btw I first assumed LI was cut off due to NYC.
LI beaches >>>>>> NC beaches

Old 03-13-2012, 08:40 PM

93,186 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Maybe this is because New York was orginially settled by the Dutch as New Netherland. They had a large slave population (by northern standards anyway) simply because there were not enough Dutch colonists. This may also be why the Dutch encouraged other groups to come to New York like the Walloons (Belgians) and French Huguenots. Incredibly they also allowed English settlers from New England to come in even though they must have known it might eventually undermine the colony.

We also had large landowners who were trying to set up large feudal manors like they had back in Europe. At least some of these, like the Philipse Manor in Westchester County, had slaves.

New Jersey has a very similar history.
Also, very true. Can't forget the French Huguenots as well.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM

240 posts, read 559,083 times
Quote:
The large black population throughout most of the South as compared to say mostly cities in the North and West probably has more to do with the history of slavery in this country. However even in the South, there tends to be less blacks in certain areas like the mountains.

The large wealthy slave owners had the majority of slaves and they tended to avoid certain hard to farm areas like the Appalchian Mountains. Instead, it was a poorer white population who moved to the mountains areas now called Appalachia. They had few or no slaves. And you also had a very small surviving Indian population, the eastern band of Cherokees.

Of course this was many years ago and people have been moving around. But even today you can still how slavery effected the settlement patterns of the United States. Harder to see but just as real is the effect slavery had on people, and especially on black Americans.
That's what I have heard over the years and it makes perfect sense for many reasons too numerous to mention. Occasionally, you have black people speaking of that. For example, a long time ago, I was told that many black folks who migrated up north are ''refugees'' of ones that used to live in the south.

What you've said also explains why there is more poverty in those parts of the country. I have noticed that there is plenty of poverty here in the south compared with other parts of the country period. The only other part of the U.S. that is almost identical to the southeast is the northwest. Furthermore, what you've said also explains why there is still a lot of slave mentality down here in this day and age.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:48 PM

7 posts, read 7,114 times
I'm a NY'R and to be quite honest you really can't compare the 2. It's like apples and oranges.

Pros & cons re NY, "The City that Never Sleeps" is known for being fast-paced, many options for transit, tons of bars/night clubs, restaurants, cafes, various shopping areas (bargains to high-end), a few beaches around the city (not the cleanest but not so bad), housing & taxes can be very costly(minimal New construction, the structure of the houses are older, homes that need lots of work any where from $300k & up for 3br/1.5 bth/w/ finished or unfinished basement), and rent (1br apt in a decent neighborhood, you'll be lucky if the apt bldg has a laundromat in it.... very few amenities/ if any at all, approximately 800sq ft can run you about $1100-1500), crime is nonstop (I guess that's most places...but it seems relatively high here).

As for NC, I haven't lived there but I've spent some time in the South (lived in GA) While there are pros &cons as well, I believe NC would be a nice change of pace (depending on your interests).

#youdecide

Last edited by CeCe Bree; 12-24-2012 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: misspelled words

Old 12-24-2012, 10:50 PM

215 posts, read 384,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeCe Bree View Post
I'm a NY'R and to be quite honest you really can't compare the 2. It's like apples and oranges.

Pros & cons re NY, "The City that Never Sleeps" is known for being fast-paced, many options for transit, tons of bars/night clubs, restaurants, cafes, various shopping areas (bargains to high-end), a few beaches around the city (not the cleanest but not so bad), housing & taxes can be very costly(minimal New construction, the structure of the houses are older, homes that need lots of work any where from $300k & up for 3br/1.5 bth/w/ finished or unfinished basement), and rent (1br apt in a decent neighborhood, you'll be lucky if the apt bldg has a laundromat in it.... very few amenities/ if any at all, approximately 800sq ft can run you about $1100-1500), crime is nonstop (I guess that's most places...but it seems relatively high here).

As for NC, I haven't lived there but I've spent some time in the South (lived in GA) While there are pros &cons as well, I believe NC would be a nice change of pace (depending on your interests).

#youdecide
I believe they were comparing the whole state of New York to NC, not just NYC vs NC.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:59 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
I usually don't open state threads because I just find states in general to be utterly useless outside of where you report your taxes & the regulations you live by. For example, someone living in College Station, TX probably doesn't give a damn about someone living in McAllen, TX- probably enough to never want to visit & vice versa from people in McAllen to College Station.

I agree with that. States are ridiculous excuses for pride- I cant stand state pride. Look at the European model- countries but due to their size they basically act as "states" to Europe and while each retain their own flavor & culture the overall stigma is a unified Europe that's run by the cities & metropolitans.

Anyhow, enough with the pointless rant and to get this back to New York versus North Carolina.

I like aspects of both states. Personally for their sizes I find them to be incredibly dynamic and these are two of my top 5 states if I ever had to rank states for anything.

I have to say though, I'm not particularly interested in any of North Carolina's big cities from the outside they seem rather boring, in fact Charlotte reminds me much of Houston in a way that it's a corporate center for prosperity for families but not such a "fun" destination without the entertainment, sports, boardwalks, piers, operas, theatres, museum district, & such that Houston at least has. I think North Carolina however is a great state that's becoming even greater- it's politically important & has all the qualities that round up an amazing state from the economy, scenery, location, future prospects, even the weather is fairly tame. My favorite city in North Carolina is Asheville.

North Carolina reminds me of a toned down California or Texas, each of those large states have a city that serves one function or another- basically not putting all it's eggs into one basket.

You have the "hip" & liberal cities: San Francisco, Austin, & Asheville

You have the corporate cities: San Jose, Houston, & Charlotte

You have the stereotypical city of the state: Los Angeles, Dallas, & Greensboro

You have the education centers: Bay Area, Austin, & the Research Triangle

North Carolina has a good mix of mountains, plains, coastline (real salt water coastline), cities, & everything besides a desert. So on. North Carolina's a great state but everything I said can also (albeit to a lesser extent) be applied to New York too which in & of itself is another (one of the few) dynamic states in the country. Which state has the city I prefer: New York (New York City). Which state is overall more of my preference when excluding New York City, it's North Carolina.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 PM

996 posts, read 1,896,043 times
This one hits home hard for me.

Born, and raised in NYC.
Went to High school, and (when im not at college) currently live in Charlotte.

I vote North Carolina, best state in the US of A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City