U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 162 48.07%
New York 175 51.93%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 10:35 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,592,037 times

Advertisements

This is stupid. No part from NY or NC should be excluded from this. NYC/LI is such a huge part of what makes NYS what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 AM

56,280 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckam View Post
My bad, I did read it wrong.

However Hampton Roads is a VA-NC metro as Charlotte is a NC-SC metro.
I know. My mother is from SC originally and I have a brother in Virginia Beach. Charlotte's metro population is largely in NC and the Hampton Roads metro population is largely in VA.

As for the exclusion, I think that other thread I posted was created to illustrate how Upstate NY and NC are pretty similar.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckam View Post
It doesn't really matter what state contains majority of the states population. If even the smallest bit of population from the NC part of the metro were taken out, the metro wouldn't be the same.
It still has an overwhelming percentage of people in the metro I'm VA though. Out of a metro of 1.7 million, a whopping 24,000 people live in the one county in NC that is included. So, it wouldn't make that big of a difference if that county wasn't included.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 PM

641 posts, read 821,434 times
The Empire State for me

Old 10-14-2014, 07:36 AM

650 posts, read 483,312 times
I used to live to NY, NJ and now NC

NC by a mile. The only redeeming quality about NY is NYC. I lived in Long Island and upstate. Long Island had the most obnoxious scummy, rude people I've ever met and horrible traffic. It also had the most overrated beaches in the hamptons (95% of NC beaches are nicer by many standard deviations) full of obnoxious scumbags. Upstate was an economically depressed high tax hellhole that regularly got arctic in the winter. Heck ive been skiing there where its below
0 and windy and almost unbearable. Also long island is one giant suburb/strip mall.

The mountains in NC are bigger (largest almost 7000 ft and stunning), the beaches much less dirty, polluted, and warmer, people nicer, traffic better, the jobs pay enough to afford housing (in many parts of LI 500k will get you an absolute dump). The weather in NYC is also often as hot as NC only the humidity holds the plethora of particulate matter and noxious fumes making it smell horribly. The winters are obviously nicer in NC and theyre much sunnier. Its often so cold in most of NY people cant use a lot of the impressive outdoor activities the state offers much of the year. For example, the finger lakes in NY might be nice but its so cold theyre swimmable about 2 months a year tops and even then they're cold.

NYC is a great city, possibly the best on the east coast to visit. Unfortunately rents are hilariously high given the average salaries in the city. Only a few can really afford its luxuries. And broadway now runs at often over 200 a show for bad seats even making that a waste of money. Theres many solid theater productions and museums in raleigh, charlotte, asheville as well.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

NC by a mile. The only redeeming quality about NY is NYC. I lived in Long Island and upstate. Long Island had the most obnoxious scummy, rude people I've ever met and horrible traffic. It also had the most overrated beaches in the hamptons (95% of NC beaches are nicer by many standard deviations) full of obnoxious scumbags. Upstate was an economically depressed high tax hellhole that regularly got arctic in the winter. Heck ive been skiing there where its below
0 and windy and almost unbearable. Also long island is one giant suburb/strip mall.

The mountains in NC are bigger (largest almost 7000 ft and stunning), the beaches much less dirty, polluted, and warmer, people nicer, traffic better, the jobs pay enough to afford housing (in many parts of LI 500k will get you an absolute dump). The weather in NYC is also often as hot as NC only the humidity holds the plethora of particulate matter and noxious fumes making it smell horribly. The winters are obviously nicer in NC and theyre much sunnier. Its often so cold in most of NY people cant use a lot of the impressive outdoor activities the state offers much of the year. For example, the finger lakes in NY might be nice but its so cold theyre swimmable about 2 months a year tops and even then they're cold.

NYC is a great city, possibly the best on the east coast to visit. Unfortunately rents are hilariously high given the average salaries in the city. Only a few can really afford its luxuries. And broadway now runs at often over 200 a show for bad seats even making that a waste of money. Theres many solid theater productions and museums in raleigh, charlotte, asheville as well.
You can used the Adirondacks all year actually and many people still partake in winter activities outdoors. So, it may be a matter of what you are into.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

245 posts, read 285,084 times
A lot of people move from NYC to NC, though it's only because NC is cheaper.

NY State as a whole offers more variety than NC. You can have the humble, rural and nature loving in Upstate without much problems, though a lot of the cities have had histories of economic turmoil.

Niagra Falls I think is the most impressive natural wonder between the two states.

NC has better beaches.

NC is cheaper, but one could just live on the out skirts of NYC and not pay much, and still have the benefits of utilizing a world city.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:02 PM
IEB

16 posts, read 17,149 times
NY over NC any day! We just left NYC to move to the Charlotte area in June for a job promotion and expansion and personally are miserable. Hiking in the ADK, Catskills, and other is way better than any place we have been to in NC or SC. The heat is oppressive here, and don't get me started about the fire ants. The museums and shows are inferior, and yes the housing is much cheaper, but does not have the same vibes or diversity of neighborhoods. The beaches here are warmer than bath water. You are suppose to go to the shore to cool off!! I miss everything about the NE. It is everything the South is not, and for some it is the reason they leave and are happpy. For us, it was business, and are now working on a three year plan to go back to the NE. I am not sure NYC, most prob, South Jersey. I miss South Jersey the most. I think it depends on where you live, where you have lived, and what area speaks internally to you the most. I have friends that came to the South before us and love it, and others who also can't wait to get back.

Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 PM

650 posts, read 483,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEB View Post
NY over NC any day! We just left NYC to move to the Charlotte area in June for a job promotion and expansion and personally are miserable. Hiking in the ADK, Catskills, and other is way better than any place we have been to in NC or SC. The heat is oppressive here, and don't get me started about the fire ants. The museums and shows are inferior, and yes the housing is much cheaper, but does not have the same vibes or diversity of neighborhoods. The beaches here are warmer than bath water.
If you want "cooler beaches" mid summer go to the outer banks (northern) as the water is often in the 60s to mid-70s due to currents mid-summer. The southeastern beaches will cool down towards the end of september but be swimmable until the end of oct. LI you can swim Mid-july-mid-sep and thats it really. No beaches as pretty as cape hatteras in NY period. Most are dirty. And the hamptons are full of dirty obnoxious new yorkers.

Have you really been to the mountains in western NC as well? The mountains are far larger than the adirondacks by over a thousand feet in many areas and hardly have oppressive heat in the summer. The mountains around Asheville in the summer are cooler than NYC. The leaves change pretty colors in similar fashion to the NE. Theres lots of waterfalls too though none as big as niagra falls.

I dont agree most people move here because its cheaper. Some move here because its better in many ways. You may want to drive to charleston, sc before you hate on that state as well. Its a lovely historical city thats far prettier than anything in NY plus the weather is in the high 50s mid winter! And the seafood cusine is sublime and charleston is a culinary destination that rivals NYC.

I like the blues scene in raleigh a lot and think theres a lot of major acts that come through here for the fraction of the price of madison square garden. The general local music scene at least here is better than NYC. Theater is somewhat better in NYC if youre willing to pay. But Duke and Chapel Hill do put on some very good acts.

Imo, it doesnt sound like you quite explored the place enough yet. Try some of the things I mentioned before bailing. Most people from NYC and NJ I know far prefer NC but maybe thats just the people I know.

Last edited by njbiodude; 10-14-2014 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 03:43 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,306,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post

NC by a mile. The only redeeming quality about NY is NYC. I lived in Long Island and upstate. Long Island had the most obnoxious scummy, rude people I've ever met and horrible traffic. It also had the most overrated beaches in the hamptons (95% of NC beaches are nicer by many standard deviations) full of obnoxious scumbags. Upstate was an economically depressed high tax hellhole that regularly got arctic in the winter. Heck ive been skiing there where its below 0 and windy and almost unbearable. Also long island is one giant suburb/strip mall.

It's all personal preference, but I couldn't disagree more with the bold. NYC is a great city, but I think the Adirondacks (the crystal clear/clean lakes are amazing), Finger Lakes and wine country, and canal towns are all tremendous. Places like Saratoga Springs have a ton of charm. Niagara Falls and the 1000 Islands are pretty unique too. Sprinkle the hockey culture, ethnic minority foods and beauty of the Great Lakes in and there's a lot to like that's not NYC.

IMO weather is not a strong suit for NY State, and the economy has sucked for a while now too. Two things that are definitely better in NC outside of NYC. Having lived in VA for the past 8 years, I've really missed the ethnic foods and some of the walkable towns (suburbs and many cities down south are not too well planned IMO). Asheville and Wilmington are tremendous however. Love both those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or