U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 162 48.07%
New York 175 51.93%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:47 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,498,388 times

Advertisements

New York every day and twice on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM

56,255 posts, read 80,427,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
It's all personal preference, but I couldn't disagree more with the bold. NYC is a great city, but I think the Adirondacks (the crystal clear/clean lakes are amazing), Finger Lakes and wine country, and canal towns are all tremendous. Places like Saratoga Springs have a ton of charm. Niagara Falls and the 1000 Islands are pretty unique too. Sprinkle the hockey culture, ethnic minority foods and beauty of the Great Lakes in and there's a lot to like that's not NYC.

IMO weather is not a strong suit for NY State, and the economy has sucked for a while now too. Two things that are definitely better in NC outside of NYC. Having lived in VA for the past 8 years, I've really missed the ethnic foods and some of the walkable towns (suburbs and many cities down south are not too well planned IMO). Asheville and Wilmington are tremendous however. Love both those towns.
What is true and scary about this post, in a good way, is that this and more can be done without NYC. People don't know about the festivals in Upstate NY like Syracuse's Jazz Fest, which is claimed to be the largest free Jazz festival in the Northeast or the many other waterfalls up here as well. People may not know about Letchworth State Park, Howe Caverns, the historical sites and the quaint towns. You also have smaller cities and towns with their own art scenes in terms of live theater and galleries too. There are plenty of beaches, while on lakes, in Upstate NY as well like this one in this small town: Fair Haven Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Fair Haven Area Chamber of Commerce. Discover Lake Ontario's Best Kept Secret.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 AM

83 posts, read 71,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, the Amityville Horror supposedly took place in Amityville on Long Island, so that makes sense. Have no idea what The Village is.

But below is what most of New York State looks like outside the cities (about 40% of New York's population lives downstate in the NY Metro area).

I don't see the "creepy".

http://newyork.farmland.org/wp-conte...1-1024x674.jpg

http://yeahthatskosher.com/wp-conten.../catskills.jpg
I like the fact that North Carolina distribute people in a larger area. I don't like how precious land is taken to distribute the people.

In New York, people living closer together means access to the variety. However, living closer together means a lack of space to personal belongings.

Old 04-05-2015, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 793 times
I love both cities lots but NC has to win: Charlotte, Raleigh, Fayetville, Lake Norman, The Smokies...
As a native to NC it is my favorite state my mom is from NYC (born and raised in Manhattan) so it does have a special place in my heart but NC wins definitely.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:11 AM

3,453 posts, read 3,106,095 times
I like NY because of its close proximity to other great areas like Toronto Montreal Philadelphia boston etc..

Because of NY city it's just puts the state on a whole different level

Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 PM

6,484 posts, read 16,100,220 times
I give it to NY.

Finger Lakes
Adirondacks
Catskills
Not one, but two Great Lakes
Lake Champlain
Hudson Valley
North and South forks
Niagara Falls

Old 01-03-2019, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 227 times
Default NY is better than NC

As stated on my title i think Ny is way better than Nc. This is based on personal experience. I would advise anyone considering to move to NC strongly not to. NC is the worst state ever. I had many bad experiences here. Also im a city girl so NC is disappointing on that side. I used to live in NY and i loved it there. Transportation,education was better there. Ny is the big apple and there's a good reason why its called that. I think many people can agree with me.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:27 PM

741 posts, read 264,938 times
I believe New York remains the highest source of net migration for NC (like +15,000, twice that of second-place NJ). So if we count those people voting with their feet...

Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 PM

238 posts, read 121,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ik View Post
As stated on my title i think Ny is way better than Nc. This is based on personal experience. I would advise anyone considering to move to NC strongly not to. NC is the worst state ever. I had many bad experiences here. Also im a city girl so NC is disappointing on that side. I used to live in NY and i loved it there. Transportation,education was better there. Ny is the big apple and there's a good reason why its called that. I think many people can agree with me.
"NC is the worst state ever." The hordes of New Yorkers who move down every year seem to disagree.

Old 01-03-2019, 10:08 PM

17,536 posts, read 3,980,468 times
North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or