U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 162 48.07%
New York 175 51.93%
Voters: 337. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 AM

22,812 posts, read 34,848,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
"NC is the worst state ever." The hordes of New Yorkers who move down every year seem to disagree.
At least we know that NY is the preference of posters with a second grade reading comprehension level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:38 AM

2,705 posts, read 1,579,640 times
Outside NYC, North Carolina takes this easily.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:12 AM

56,288 posts, read 80,465,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
What is the sense of doing that though? Ironically, this older thread gets into what you just did: North Carolina VS Redefined New York State

Old 01-04-2019, 01:39 PM

245 posts, read 122,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
At least we know that NY is the preference of posters with a second grade reading comprehension level.
LOL no kidding

Old 01-04-2019, 02:55 PM

4,165 posts, read 2,787,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is the sense of doing that though? Ironically, this older thread gets into what you just did: North Carolina VS Redefined New York State
I agree, you can't remove The City, that's just like these wiseass city-data geniuses always trying to omit Northern Virginia from Virginia. It is a part of Virginia whether people like it or not, and is definitely Virginian in nature, just as The City is very much New York. It can't and shouldnt be separated in a convo like this...

That said, taking New York in its entirety and including The City, this is really close to me. New York City is overrated, so just for me personally, it doesn't add much value. I much prefer the landscape and cities of Upstate New York to New York City, and while I may be in the minority on this particular website, I stand on it 100%...

I also really enjoy North Carolina and I'll take Charlotte over any place between the two states. I think the smaller towns in NY have a greater charm than smaller towns in NC. I'm not the greatest fan of either state's culture, though I grew to love aspects of both from my initial perception, but if I had to pick one, I probably adapt to and enjoy NC's culture slightly more; not by a wide margin...

This isn't a blowout either way, and that's including New York City. I have no problem taking the unpopular opinion. These states are evenly matched in my estimation...

Old 01-05-2019, 06:26 AM

56,288 posts, read 80,465,056 times
What is also interesting about the “without NYC” statement is that NY State is already a little bit smaller than NC in land size: https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-o...ed/states-size , but even without NYC, NY State still has about 1 million more people than NC. So, I think people may underestimate how many people are in NY State outside of NYC.

Actually, a better comparison would be NC vs. PA due to population and land size.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-05-2019 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM

10,674 posts, read 8,133,713 times
Quote:
Cities like Raleigh and Charlotte is definitely better compare to Buffalo, Rochester, Capital Region, Central New York

Last edited by BPt111; 01-05-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 AM

282 posts, read 114,454 times
This is a fun little thread for me, because I just split my holiday time off between New York and North Carolina. Yeah, as a "native" Upstate New Yorker and having worked my college summers in North Carolina, I will attest New York wins out.

New York is a magical place from about May-October. Of course nothing in NC (or the rest of the USA) compares to NYC. On top of that, we have beaches on Long Island, Mountains from the Adirondacks, to the Catskills, to the foothills of the Appalachians in WNY. IMO, we are the best state for lakes (sorry MN), with tons of land along the great lakes, the highly distinct Finger Lakes Region (the area I grew up in), and lakes throughout the Adirondacks as well. NY wins in economy, with NYC having unending momentum, whereas the rest of the state is still lagging behind.

I think NC easily wins on beaches and slightly on mountains. I love the Blue Ridge Mountains and Outer Banks. I think the thing is, NY almost matches NC in nature yet also has an urban component that NC can't even dream of matching. Also, I was just in Durham / the Triangle area, having never explored the middle/Piedmont area of NC. I will say the topography was kind of dull. In NY, there aren't too many areas where it mostly flattens like that, except along the great lakes. NC has a ton of momentum with its economy and population growth, moreso than NY. NC has the favorable weather Nov-April.

I agree NC vs PA would be a fun comparison. Both have great mountains, but NC easily wins on water/beach areas and PA easily wins in cities.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:07 AM

7,105 posts, read 9,863,155 times
Quote:
Um, no it doesn't.

Some of the best parts of New York are outside NYC. Like the Adirondacks, the Thousand Islands, the Niagara frontier, the Hudson Valley, the Finger Lakes.

North Carolina is possibly on the horizon for me. I know a number of people who have moved down there and the lower taxes, slower pace of life than the NYC area and especially more house for the buck is very appealing (although I personally would want to check out Virginia first).

But Upstate New York also remains a strong possibility for me despite the colder weather. New York has things over North Carolina like a massive state park system, environmental protections, better zoning and planning, more interesting history (IMHO), far more winter sports and seven thousand fresh water lakes that North Carolina has no answer for.

Both are great states, I would not discount either one so easily.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:19 AM

1,201 posts, read 801,817 times
Quote:
Exact opposite for me. The areas of NY outside NYC have SO MUCH to offer in terms of natural beauty, midsize city, beautiful small towns, and pretty much every landscape and outdoor activity you can possibly think of. My biggest complaint about the state is that NYC politics and laws dictate the entire state which is truly a shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or