Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 164 48.24%
New York 176 51.76%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 11:10 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
LOL at people voting NC due to the weather when the state just got hit hard with a blizzard and hurricane to end the year. It can suck down there too, especially in the summer.
Blizzards are rare (except for the highest of elevations) and hurricanes affect a very small part of the state along the coast. So you picked the excepted and not the rule in an attempt to make your point, lol. Nice try

The state of NY as a whole, I love. Upstate is very beautiful, lush, and green. The people are enormously nice. Some nice small towns. NYC is nice to visit, things to do and see. BUT, I'm going through NYC a few times each summer and the summers are no less hot and humid than NC. The USNY summers are VERY nice in the summer. But so are summers in the NW mountains of NC.

When I worked for Barclays Bank's U.S. Data Center in Charlotte in the 90's, 1/3 of the workforce there relocated from Barclays' 75 Wall St. data center in NYC. When Barclay's sold its mortgage and leasing operations, they consolidated the data center to a skeleton staff in NYC and Toronto and closed the Charlotte data center. Everyone was offered a spot in the Toronto or NYC centers. Not one of the 35 NYer's chose to leave NC and go back to NYC. They all cited their NC life being higher and better than the lives they had in NY. They just found new positions at data centers around the Charlotte area. Some who were near retirement retired in places like Pinehurst, Southport, Blowing Rock, and Asheville.

As a whole, NC is slightly more affordable than NY (NYC really pulls down the rest of the state in this regard). The climate is much more moderate in NC than NY. The economy and job growth are stronger in NC than NY. There's a wider variety of highly rated metros, small towns, and retirement areas in NC. There is a huge desparency in migration from NY to NC with those who more here for jobs, looking for a higher quality of life, and to retire. Data and statistics prove this.

Quality of Life can in some case be relative. Everyone has their own sets of wants and needs, so a lot of this can be subjective. And, like I said, I really like NY a lot. But on the whole, I love NC much more and it's quality of life is hard to beat, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 07:05 AM

67 posts, read 63,434 times
I think at times when it comes down to where you want to move its going to be alot based on the weather.
NY- Freezing cold most of the year, driving in the snow is the absolute worse, but if you can get past that then NY is a great choice! I hate the cold, and it makes me feel like staying in and not doing anything. But its all based on what you prefer, what you are able to deal with, and if you can get past that- then NY is wonderful.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:13 AM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
LOL at people voting NC due to the weather when the state just got hit hard with a blizzard and hurricane to end the year. It can suck down there too, especially in the summer.
LOL please. In this particular arena, there is simply no comparison.
Western NC has summers that are near perfection, just like upstate NY.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 AM

225 posts, read 211,381 times
New York overall.

New York for NYC and downstate culture and urbanity. North Carolina for scenery and beauty.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy432 View Post
I think at times when it comes down to where you want to move its going to be alot based on the weather.
NY- Freezing cold most of the year, driving in the snow is the absolute worse, but if you can get past that then NY is a great choice! I hate the cold, and it makes me feel like staying in and not doing anything. But its all based on what you prefer, what you are able to deal with, and if you can get past that- then NY is wonderful.
What is considered to be "freezing cold most of the year"?

Old 02-08-2019, 02:18 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
As a sate, NC all the way.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:35 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is considered to be "freezing cold most of the year"?
In most of Upstate New York, the first freeze of the cold season usually occurs between September 1 and September 30, and the final freeze of the cold season usually occurs between May 1 and May 31. As a result, Upstate New York qualifies as “freezing cold for most of the year.”

Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 PM

58 posts, read 88,542 times
NYC is truly great but I need warmer weather so I pick North Carolina. I like Charlotte, reminds me of Atlanta with less traffic (and I really like Atlanta).

But even though I vote for North Carolina it still wouldn't be my first (or second or third) choice for a place to live or visit. At least I can say that I love visiting New York. I'll be visiting NYC and upstate again soon. I don't visit North Carolina except to visit family or sometimes for work. But if those were the only two states I could live in then yeah, NC.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:17 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
In most of Upstate New York, the first freeze of the cold season usually occurs between September 1 and September 30, and the final freeze of the cold season usually occurs between May 1 and May 31. As a result, Upstate New York qualifies as “freezing cold for most of the year.”
I don't know about this, given that I live there. I tell people that it can snow anywhere from late October to early May, but expect it from right after Thanksgiving to mid/late March. Even May is pushing it and very rare, especially later within the month.

Then, what seems to occur more now the past several winters is that you get a burst of snow, but you get a good thaw not too long after. So, in many parts, even if you get a lot of snow, it doesn't stick around as long as it use to. Like I mentioned in another thread, it was in the mid 40's to even mid 60's earlier in the week. So, winter temps aren't consistently freezing.

So, I wouldn't say that Upstate NY is "freezing cold for most of the year".

Old 02-10-2019, 07:47 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
I can see the tag line now: “Upstate NY, not quite Hoth”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City