U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 154 47.98%
New York 167 52.02%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,075,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Oh, God, the know it all man........ How many times have you voted for Mayberry>>>
If North Carolina is Mayberry, which is almost as populous as Georgia, then what does that make Georgia? Walnut Grove?

And why the hell are you even in this thread? It has nothing to do with Atlanta whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
ALL of rural America is creepy and ominous, regardless of region.
I strongly disagree with that sentiment, but to each is own. Parts of rural America are some of the most beautiful and picturesque places in the nation.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I really don't care for the cities of NC, rather boring and vanilla.
I can see how someone could say this about the larger cities, but what about Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and Asheville?

Old 04-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Status: "Hasta Luego New Mexico, I'm sure going to miss you!" (set 2 days ago)

9,194 posts, read 17,775,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I can see how someone could say this about the larger cities, but what about Winston-Salem, Wilmington, and Asheville?
Winston-Salem
it's just not on the radar. Greensboro didn't impress me at all.

Wilmington is nice, downtown is pretty small but what's there has southern charm and is attractive. The beaches are the biggest attraction, I like Wrightsville Beach a lot.

Asheville
Haven't been yet but I've heard mostly good things about it. I'll get there someday. NC mountains sure are beautiful.

Charlotte & Raleigh/Durham...meh. Great area to raise kids, pretty vanilla otherwise. I know Charlottle has potential and will likely get better over the years in an Atlanta sort of way. I wish them luck on future water resources. I think downtown Durham has great potential if it clears out some Riff Raff. The Duke University campus is stunning!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Status: "Hasta Luego New Mexico, I'm sure going to miss you!" (set 2 days ago)

9,194 posts, read 17,775,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFix View Post
ALL of rural America is creepy and ominous, regardless of region. But I guess that's what makes rural America so darn interesting.
No you are actually quite wrong here and such a conceived notion could only come from watching too much TV. Visit a place like the Green Mountains of Vermont, a real Texas ranch, an art colony in New Mexico, a New York Adirondack lake, an Outer Banks beach in North Carolina, or vineyards in California before you make such a clearly UNFOUNDED judgment. If one cannot find beauty in any of those places they would have a very limited worldview. There are rural Americans that are some of the best people in the world. To write off all of rural America as creepy is equivalent to watching Paris Hilton's the Simple Life.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-21-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 11:26 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,148,802 times
outside of weather, would have to go with new york all around.

if you are a 4 season lover it seems the higher elevation areas of nc might be close to perfect.

nc seems cool though, one of the top states of the south along with va/tx/fl. I think I'd get pretty bored with it fast though, but nice to visit.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:34 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,549,179 times
honestly i feel like virginia is better than nc in every way. i don't see a real point in even going to nc when va is right above it and georgia is right below it.

thats just my personal opinion tho and i know it'll probably offend nc natives but thats not what i'm trying to do. i just feel like nc doesn't offer anything that va doesn't and that va offers far more.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,148,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
honestly i feel like virginia is better than nc in every way. i don't see a real point in even going to nc when va is right above it and georgia is right below it.

thats just my personal opinion tho and i know it'll probably offend nc natives but thats not what i'm trying to do. i just feel like nc doesn't offer anything that va doesn't and that va offers far more.
well yeah, if you were looking for a similar landscape and coming from new york, it wouldn't make much sense to go all the way to nc for it.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:03 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,606,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
No you are actually quite wrong here and such a conceived notion could only come from watching too much TV. Visit a place like the Green Mountains of Vermont, a real Texas ranch, an art colony in New Mexico, a New York Adirondack lake, an Outer Banks beach in North Carolina, or vineyards in California before you make such a clearly UNFOUNDED judgment. If one cannot find beauty in any of those places they would have a very limited worldview. There are rural Americans that are some of the best people in the world. To write off all of rural America as creepy is equivalent to watching Paris Hilton's the Simple Life.

I agree with your post 100%!

Just like how there are many different types of cities and urban neighborhoods, there are many different types of small towns/small cities/rural places/nature places.

There are plenty of progressive, great, and non-creepy small towns/small cities/rural places/and nature places that exist!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,045,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I strongly disagree with that sentiment, but to each is own. Parts of rural America are some of the most beautiful and picturesque places in the nation.

Beautiful, of course. But rural America still has that creep factor. When I went camping as a kid in the Pacific Northwest, and then when I moved to the East coast and explored some very beautiful countryside, I always felt a subtle, ominous vibe---like I was going to stumble upon a dead body or come across some crazed axe murderer. I get no such vibe exploring rural Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or