U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 154 47.98%
New York 167 52.02%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:54 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,075,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
did i say that it was?

ALL of my posts in this thread, as they relate to NC and VA specifically state that its my opinion and/or imply that its my opinion.

reread all of my posts in this thread. i don't see how anybody would think that i was trying to pass of my personal opinion as fact(s) unless they skimmed my posts.

since i know that you probably won't do that, i've done it for you:

post 1, speaking about NC and VA:

if anybody here thought i was trying to pass off my opinion about VA being better than NC as fact after reading the bolded words, which are included in each of the posts in this thread, then they need to learn the concept of reading comprehension.
Actually, when you said that NoVA offers more than NC, that's not an opinion; that's a statement of fact. You just tried to use the "That's just my opinion" line to exclude such an inaccurate statement from scrutiny. One can actually list every type of amenity and attribute that each has and come to a factual conclusion on the matter. In doing so, your statement would be deemed to be incorrect. Declaring which is "better" or which one you like more is an opinion, but that's not what you said in your previous post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,174,536 times
Quote:
i still feel like this is a joke thread in disguise...
You can feel however you please, but your emotions are not always right.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:07 PM

54,553 posts, read 78,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
Formerly from outside Buffalo, currently live in the Triad. Voted NC in the poll because it said state I would prefer to live in. I think I would much rather vacation in NY tho. You have great skiing (Whiteface anyone?), great museums and zoos, and great lakes (I'm partial to Chautauqua and Erie). Plus you have the NYC, which I hear is great to visit even though I've hardly been there...
Burlington seems to be similar to Lockport.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Winston-Salem
it's just not on the radar. Greensboro didn't impress me at all.
You should check out Winston-Salem. It has a rather interesting history and urban fabric. In some places, it looks like a Rust Belt city. It also has Old Salem, which is a very well preserved historic area. Great photo thread of the downtown area can be found here.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:01 AM

870 posts, read 1,446,502 times
Quote:
Quote:
If this is going to turn into a VA NC argument, the DC metro has to come into play as places like Arlington and Alexandria are there.
Yes, but none of the amenities that were mentioned have a presence in Arlington and Alexandria. Truth is, aside from the Metro, NoVA is just a cross between Charlotte (tons of office space, fair share of sprawl, malls), Raleigh (hi-tech economy, high educational attainment, malls, sprawl), and New Bern (colonial town like Arlington and Alexandria).
Nah, NoVa is more of a cross between central/north jersey (having to cross a river to get into a big city/demographics/ethnic diversity, dense web of suburbs connected by transit, traffic congestion) and raleigh (strip malls, sprawl, high educational attainment, hi-tech)

Old 04-25-2011, 12:45 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually, when you said that NoVA offers more than NC, that's not an opinion; that's a statement of fact. You just tried to use the "That's just my opinion" line to exclude such an inaccurate statement from scrutiny. One can actually list every type of amenity and attribute that each has and come to a factual conclusion on the matter. In doing so, your statement would be deemed to be incorrect. Declaring which is "better" or which one you like more is an opinion, but that's not what you said in your previous post.
its not my fault that you got something out of my posts that i didn't say and that i didn't imply.

i specifically stated, MULTIPLE TIMES that it was my personal opinion.

learn to comprehend what you read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
You can feel however you please, but your emotions are not always right.
ok thanks mom.

Last edited by eek; 04-25-2011 at 01:24 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 02:14 PM

215 posts, read 293,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i love north carolina to death but i think new york just has more; mountains, great lakes, the thousand islands seaway, long island, the hamptons, erie canal, niagara falls, finger lakes, hudson river, lake placid, and new york city. how many other states have one of the seven natural wonders of the world? no matter what state you compare it to, it's hard to beat it especially when new york can throw nyc's weight around at the end.

mountains

great lakes

thousand islands

long island

the hamptons

erie canal

niagara falls

finger lakes

letchworth

hudson

lake placid

Just wanted to comment on how much I love these pics. Seems a lot of people don't often realize how scenic NYS really is!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:44 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,030,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You should check out Winston-Salem. It has a rather interesting history and urban fabric. In some places, it looks like a Rust Belt city. It also has Old Salem, which is a very well preserved historic area. Great photo thread of the downtown area can be found here.
Winston-Salem often gets lumped in with Greensboro, but they are two very different cities. W-S has much more to offer overall.

Great photo thread!

Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
its not my fault that you got something out of my posts that i didn't say and that i didn't imply.

i specifically stated, MULTIPLE TIMES that it was my personal opinion.

learn to comprehend what you read.
Sorry, every statement doesn't count as an opinion just because you tack "just my opinion" at the end. Maybe you should learn the definition of a word before you use it.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:34 PM

4,464 posts, read 8,316,643 times
Ny wins by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or