U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you prefer to live in the most?
North Carolina 154 47.98%
New York 167 52.02%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM

1,512 posts, read 7,171,114 times

Advertisements

Both states, North Carolina and New York, are popular among many people throughout the U.S. and the world. Both have mountains and a coastal area. North Carolina has one large city (Charlotte) and several medium-sized to small areas, while New York state has one mega-city (New York City) and several medium-sized to small areas too. Comparing the two states in all manners of life, including those stated in this thread, pick the state you would prefer to live in the most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM

21,834 posts, read 4,595,934 times
Being a NC native, of course I am aware of everything about this lovely state. I have visited NY and love THE city and the rest of NY that I have seen nature-wise.

Climate would be a big deal for me, just despise gray days, sleet, ice and cold! (like snow )

Taxes are likely lower here, although I have seen no comparisons.

Life is a slower pace here, well at least from NYC....

NC has lovely beaches....if the hurricanes don't take them!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM

54,483 posts, read 77,975,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Being a NC native, of course I am aware of everything about this lovely state. I have visited NY and love THE city and the rest of NY that I have seen nature-wise.

Climate would be a big deal for me, just despise gray days, sleet, ice and cold! (like snow )

Taxes are likely lower here, although I have seen no comparisons.

Life is a slower pace here, well at least from NYC....

NC has lovely beaches....if the hurricanes don't take them!
Actually, cost of living for Syracuse and Greensboro is about the same. Upstate NY has a slower pace of life and commutes are pretty short. It doesn't snow all year here and there are ocean and lake beaches in NY. Outside of some heavy snow, we hardly have any natural disasters(Upstate NY anyways).

Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,022,218 times
North Carolina! New York is cool, but in my mind, I'm gone to Carolina...can't you feel the sunshine, can't you just the moonshine...

Old 04-19-2011, 06:27 PM

79 posts, read 180,405 times
I hate North Carolina. Lived there for more that three years all together. Too hot, too humid, no good hiking without driving several hours, no way to go without a car, and the people are not as nice as you've always heard. Southern hospitality is not all it's cracked up to be.

New York, I don't know. I've only been there once, about fifteen years ago. We only crossed the border for a couple hours from Canada near Niagara Falls.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,066,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyduck View Post
Too hot, too humid, no good hiking without driving several hours
Why didn't you live in the NC mountains if those are your complaints?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:15 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,913,135 times
i love north carolina to death but i think new york just has more; mountains, great lakes, the thousand islands seaway, long island, the hamptons, erie canal, niagara falls, finger lakes, hudson river, lake placid, and new york city. how many other states have one of the seven natural wonders of the world? no matter what state you compare it to, it's hard to beat it especially when new york can throw nyc's weight around at the end.

mountains

great lakes

thousand islands

long island

the hamptons
http://www.vanityfair.com/images/style/2008/08/star01_hamptons0808.jpg (broken link)

erie canal

niagara falls

finger lakes

letchworth

hudson

lake placid

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 04-20-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,044,721 times
New York, hands down. North Carolina = strip malls and Wal-Marts.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:21 PM

5,098 posts, read 7,456,865 times
Am I the only one who thinks New York state is kind of creepy? Outside of the cities, there's just something so cold and ominous about the countryside of the Northeast. Makes me think of things like the Amityville Horror or The Village.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM

5,221 posts, read 5,144,386 times
NY! Here's my list of "why":

Adirondacks
Great Lakes
Finger Lakes (and wine country)
Niagara Falls
Erie Canal towns and cities
Good ice hockey
Good European food (especially Italian)
NYC, and an array of old blue collar cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse), etc.
Long Island and ocean access
Proximity to NEC and Canada

If there was one thing I could rob from NC, it would be the OBX! Well, maybe I'd trade some winter snow for winter sunshine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or