Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times

Advertisements

I never thought of my city neighborhoods as suburban until C-D. I guess having a lawn, garage, trees etc makes a neighborhood suburban in appearance so I'd say Detroit definitely has some of those, well according to C-D posters lol.

So as far as Detroit goes I'd say the vast majority of the neighborhoods are like that.

a few pictures

typical neighborhoods look like this (suburban looking I guess)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:56 PM

141 posts, read 381,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not which city has the best suburbs, but rather which city has neighborhoods that truly feel like they could be in the suburbs. These are a couple that come to mind:

16th Street Heights (DC)

Chestnut Hill (Philly)
I think Philly and DC are two of the cities who have the least suburban-looking neighborhoods (and the fewest). Cities like Jacksonville, Charlotte, Denver, Salt Lake City, and Phoenix are realllllly suburban.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBpa View Post
I think Philly and DC are two of the cities who have the least suburban-looking neighborhoods (and the fewest). Cities like Jacksonville, Charlotte, Denver, Salt Lake City, and Phoenix are realllllly suburban.
It comes down to the fact that every U.S. city has neighborhoods within the city limits that look suburban.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It comes down to the fact that every U.S. city has neighborhoods within the city limits that look suburban.
Yeah but in cities like Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte (pretty much every southern city) 95% of the cities neighborhoods are suburban looking and feeling. Charlotte for example only has like 5 neighborhoods that are urban out of hundreds. Suburban neighborhoods (Real suburban neighborhoods not like the pics ppl posted of Philly an DC here) surround the downtown core and extend all the way to the suburbs which have more of a rural feel than suburban in the south in almost every southern city.

People saying NYC, Philly or even DC really need to get out more.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:26 PM

639 posts, read 1,289,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I never thought of my city neighborhoods as suburban until C-D. I guess having a lawn, garage, trees etc makes a neighborhood suburban in appearance so I'd say Detroit definitely has some of those, well according to C-D posters lol.

So as far as Detroit goes I'd say the vast majority of the neighborhoods are like that.

a few pictures

typical neighborhoods look like this (suburban looking I guess)

The top and bottom picture are the only ones that would be considered suburban in the south. The rest of the pics have much smaller yards, less green space and the houses are much closer together than even most "inner city" neighborhoods in the south.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Yeah but in cities like Jacksonville, Atlanta, Charlotte (pretty much every southern city) 95% of the cities neighborhoods are suburban looking and feeling. Charlotte for example only has like 5 neighborhoods that are urban out of hundreds. Suburban neighborhoods (Real suburban neighborhoods not like the pics ppl posted of Philly an DC here) surround the downtown core and extend all the way to the suburbs which have more of a rural feel than suburban in the south in almost every southern city.
I think most Sunbelt cities are like that... or pretty much any American city that did most of its growing after the mid-20th century. It's simply because suburban-style, lower-density neighborhoods were the preferred mode of development going forward after that point, due to cheap oil and the subsequent rise of the automobile as the primary means of transportation in those years. It really has less to do with being inside or outside of the city limits, and more to do with the era in which the development took place.

Also, the Sunbelt cities were typically not landlocked by suburbs, unlike most northeastern and midwestern cities. They had undeveloped land adjacent to them which could still be annexed and built upon, and the results were more "suburban" in character due to the reasons I mentioned above. Effectively, those cities built their "suburbs" within the city limits!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM

787 posts, read 1,695,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
The Twin Cities

Milwaukee! (Northwest Side)

Old 04-21-2011, 09:42 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post

People saying NYC, Philly or even DC really need to get out more.
perhaps its you that should get out more.

there are parts of ny that are so unlike what you would think would be within these boroughs that you'd think it was in the south, midwest, etc.

tornado damage from awhile back (you can see the type of houses, trees, etc. from the vid)
http://youtu.be/CClJONTmj08
oh but i guess thats not good enough for the thread for some ppl.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
I think Observation has a point though, that NYC and Philly aren't the best cities to use to illustrate "suburban cities". There are far less urban examples in most other cities in the country. Frankly, that first pic looks like a park, too.....not a neighborhood.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times
the OP specifically said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
...rather which city has neighborhoods that truly feel like they could be in the suburbs.
in which case neighborhoods such as forest hills clearly fit this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City