U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times

Advertisements

I don't think this particular battle has been done before... at least not on c vs c... TT vs RR, check, TX vs NC check... but not really just these cities, and at least not thoroughly

What are the primary pros and cons of both of these?

They seem to attract similar crowds.

Austin seems to have more west coast transplants (and NE transplants, while Raleigh seems to have more NE Transplants specifically.

How does the vibe in these two cities compare?

What city has the better getaways??? i.e. a trip to DC, vs access to Dallas/Houston/San Antonio?

other categories? I think these are questions that people moving there would be concerned with. i.e. I know people from Chicago/SF/LA and other major major metros that are going to these places.

best universities
weather
cost of living
crime
political outlook
culture
nightlife
outdoor activities in the metro
outdoor activities outside the metro
public transit (if any exists)
economy
more accepting to transplants
which city is the most "country/redneck" outside the metro
most diverse
best food
most bike friendly

go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 AM

7,425 posts, read 8,159,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't think this particular battle has been done before... at least not on c vs c... TT vs RR, check, TX vs NC check... but not really just these cities, and at least not thoroughly

What are the primary pros and cons of both of these?

They seem to attract similar crowds.

Austin seems to have more west coast transplants (and NE transplants, while Raleigh seems to have more NE Transplants specifically.

How does the vibe in these two cities compare?

What city has the better getaways??? i.e. a trip to DC, vs access to Dallas/Houston/San Antonio?

other categories? I think these are questions that people moving there would be concerned with. i.e. I know people from Chicago/SF/LA and other major major metros that are going to these places.

best universities
weather
cost of living
crime
political outlook
culture
nightlife
outdoor activities in the metro
outdoor activities outside the metro
public transit (if any exists)
economy
more accepting to transplants
which city is the most "country/redneck" outside the metro
most diverse
best food
most bike friendly

go
best universities: Not to underestimate UT, but clearly Raleigh comes out on top with Duke alone & also UNC & NC State.

weather: Austin a bit hotter and less prone to freak east coast winter weather, Austin has better opportunities for swimming with springs and lakes nearby. If a 2 hour drive to the ocean seems more appealing then Raleigh would be it.

cost of living: Can't say, I'd assume they're about the same.

crime: Neither city strikes me as having high crime, common sense is all you need really.

political outlook: Both are college cities and state capitals cities that tend to lean more left than their respective states,and both definitely have more conservative surburbs. Nothing unsual really.

culture: Raleigh Durham does attract peopel from all over the world for employment and education, that said culturally it's still pretty boring and vanilla. Austin's music and electic vibe trumps Raleigh here.

nightlife: Austin, no question about this

outdoor activities in the metro: Austin for Lake Travis, Barton Springs, and city parks

outdoor activities outside the metro: Raleigh for the Carolina coast and Smoky Mountains

public transit (if any exists): Both come up pretty short and not likely to change anytime soon. Austin does have a limited schedule commuter rail with all the local fiscal complaints that come along with Mass Transit in its infancy.

economy: Both seem to be doing fairly well and holding out better than most during this economic downturn, really depends on what you do for work. I think Raleigh may be a bit more economicly diverse with biosciences and medical.

more accepting to transplants: They both take in a lot of transplants. Raleigh has a lot of Northeastern transplants where Austin seems to attract a lot of people from the West Coast. I always found transplanting to be more based on personal circumstances rather than regional anyway. People from one city or region are not all cut from the same cloth. Like, one may be from New Jersey or Long Island but doesn't mean they are like Tony Saprano or Linda from Cawfee Tawk. I know I'm using abstract examples however my sister grew up in New England and she fits in Raleigh a lot better.

which city is the most "country/redneck" outside the metro: You can find rednecks in every corner of America. I've met urban rednecks in Boston that are just as dumb as a redneck in Bumblesquat, Arkansas.

most diverse: I may be wrong but Austin doesn't strike me as very diverse.

best food: Definitely Austin

most bike friendly: Austin

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-24-2011 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 10:46 PM

317 posts, read 109,908 times
best universities: Duke beats UT, UT beats Raleigh's next best, which beats Texas State. So overall Raleigh has a good edge here. UT is a great school, but Duke is just better.

weather: Austin, I mean if you're going to live in a hot area of the country why even go for snow and add more misery, this isn't coastal California, the rest of the country has to go with what it has. Austin by a mile because it doesn't snow, and if it does only 1 day of the year most.

cost of living: Austin is more expensive as a city but metro to metro is probably even.

crime: Austin is the 3rd safest city in the country, only El Paso and San Jose are safer, but Raleigh is probably safe too but Austin still wins with the edge statistically.

political outlook: They're both state capitals, difference is one is a state capital for the 2nd largest state in the country with the 2nd largest economy the other, not so much.

culture: Incredibly prefer Austin. Liberal, very active liberal too, protests, strikes, and active people. Young and energetic, and also rated high for having attractive people and glitz and glamor. Lots of movies and media presence for a city of its size.

nightlife: Austin by a mile. It's not just 6th street, I'm sure 8th street which is the sleepy one can take Raleigh's best night life. When I saw Raleigh, I wasn't impressed at all with its nightlife, it sucked.

6th Street: Mixed for all ages and all people
4th Street: The street specifically with the most gay bars and lounges and clubs
5th Street: More older crowd
7th Street: Basically a toned down version of 6th street
8th Street: Lame nerds and geeks go here
Congress: Hella fun

outdoor activities in the metro: Austin by a mile. The Hill Country is just the icing, the proximity to San Antonio and everything it has to offer which consists of theme parks, history, and the River Walk is awesome. Then not to mention LBJ's Manor, the waterfalls, the lakes, the water skiing joints and all that.

Raleigh is cool but its a long drive from Raleigh to Washington DC and long way to Atlanta, only 2 hours and 30 minutes to Houston from Austin, an hour to San Antonio, and 3 hours to Corpus Christi.

outdoor activities outside the metro: See above.

public transit (if any exists): Austin approved LRT, and it will begin construction in 2012 to connect all the central districts and the airport. So I guess its ahead unless Raleigh has this planned too. Austin already has CRT and will continue to expand it.

economy: Both strong and similar. Austin is just more ahead in media and film industry, by a mile.

more accepting to transplants: Both are good.

which city is the most "country/redneck" outside the metro: Sick

most diverse: Austin easily. Its demographics are impressive for its size and I am a Asian minority so yes I know. Chinatown is also nice in Austin, by what it offers and the quality of the food there and all.

best food: Austin easily.

most bike friendly: AUSTIN. This is why Lance Armstrong made Austin his home, to train here.

Austin is a prettier and way more fun city, and yes it is more than just a college town. It's becoming a metro of 2 million soon.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3397/...ed9e41648e.jpg

Last edited by Social Network; 04-24-2011 at 10:55 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,966,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Network View Post
Raleigh is cool but its a long drive from Raleigh to Washington DC and long way to Atlanta, only 2 hours and 30 minutes to Houston from Austin, an hour to San Antonio, and 3 hours to Corpus Christi.
AND 3.5 hours from Dallas and the nearest boarder to Mexico, Piedras Negras, Coahuila.

Quote:
public transit (if any exists): Austin approved LRT, and it will begin construction in 2012 to connect all the central districts and the airport. So I guess its ahead unless Raleigh has this planned too. Austin already has CRT and will continue to expand it.
Austin has already approved Light Rail Transit? Really? When did this happen?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
AND 3.5 hours from Dallas and the nearest boarder to Mexico, Piedras Negras, Coahuila.
And Fort Worth too.

The sports teams in Texas: Spurs, Mavericks, Cowboys, Rockets, Texans, Stars, Dynamos, FC Dallas, Astros, and Rangers. North Carolina, has Panthers, Bobcats, and Hurricanes.
Quote:
Austin has already approved Light Rail Transit? Really? When did this happen?
Yes, well its in the process of doing it. It got its biggest push last month and will be done shortly and underway shortly.

Here is the map of the areas it will serve (Red Line already exists as CRT, the star is where Downtown is):

Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,439,627 times
[quote=caphillsea77;18865007]

Quote:
political outlook: Both are college cities and state capitals cities that tend to lean more left than their respective states,and both definitely have more conservative surburbs. Nothing unsual really.
I'm not sure about Raleigh, but Travis County (Austin) has been voting blue for as long as I can remember.

Quote:
outdoor activities outside the metro: Raleigh for the Carolina coast and Smoky Mountains
I've been to both the Smoky Mountains and the Texas Hill Country, and they both and they really quite different landscapes. The Smoky Mountains have a very smooth rolling and majestic landscape while the Hill Country is very rugged and western with many lakes, rivers, and creeks running through it. All in all, I honestly prefer the Hill Country over the Smoky Mountains, but admittedly, it has been a while sense I've been the Appalachians.

Also, how far is the Raleigh from the Smoky Mountains? Austin is basically located in the eastern most edge of the Hill Country.

Quote:
most diverse: I may be wrong but Austin doesn't strike me as very diverse.
Austin is actually a bit more diverse than people give it credit for IMO. It has about a 30% Hispanic population which is growing, as well as a rapidly growing Asian and foreign born population. Although, all in all, it's still pretty white.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I make this trip at least once or twice a month, and unless your leaving from Bastrop or going to Katy (ewww!), it's more like a three to three and a half hour drive. Also, you left of the DFW which is about the same distance from Houston.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
And Fort Worth too.

The sports teams in Texas: Spurs, Mavericks, Cowboys, Rockets, Texans, Stars, Dynamos, FC Dallas, Astros, and Rangers. North Carolina, has Panthers, Bobcats, and Hurricanes.

Yes, well its in the process of doing it. It got its biggest push last month and will be done shortly and underway shortly.

Here is the map of the areas it will serve (Red Line already exists as CRT, the star is where Downtown is):
Why out in Meuller but not South Congress or South Lamar? That's a little weird.... especially no Zilker Park? hmmmm.... interesting.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I'm sorry, but I make this trip at least once or twice a month, and unless your leaving from Bastrop or going to Katy (ewww!), it's more like a three to three and a half hour drive. Also, you left of the DFW which is about the same distance from Houston.
No the only spot with cops is La Grange from my experience, I go 80 MPH (speed limit is 75 MPH, I think) on cruise control and leave from Downtown Austin which is the area I live in, and can get to Katy in 2 hours and 30 minutes tops well 2 hours 45 minutes at times when traffic is there but you get the picture, only time it takes longer is Friday during rush hour traffic. I have made this trips many times, and tomorrow will be my return back to Austin from Houston.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Which way do you go through? 290? or 71? I go through 71 and I have made the trip in 2 hours........ no kidding.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,439,627 times
Quote:
No the only spot with cops is La Grange from my experience, I go 80 MPH (speed limit is 75 MPH, I think) on cruise control and leave from Downtown Austin which is the area I live in, and can get to Katy in 2 hours and 30 minutes tops well 2 hours 45 minutes at times but you get the picture, only time it takes longer is Friday during rush hour traffic. I have made this trips many times, and tomorrow will be my return back to Austin from Houston.
Quote:
Which way do you go through? 290? or 71? I go through 71 and I have made the trip in 2 hours........ no kidding.
lol! Katy isn't Houston! I live inside the 610 Loop, which is a good 45 minutes to an hour from the outskirts of Katy at best. Especially taking into account traffic in both cities, I've found it damn near impossible to make to from my apartment to downtown Austin in less than three hours unless you go about 90 mph. And I'll take take both 290 and 71 depending on whether or not it's a holiday weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City