Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:37 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I love it, 1,100 people died and a few 100,000 are uprooted from there neigboorhood, and a culture nearly destroyed, and you say OMG where the houses nice?
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know asking that was off limits. Obviously, historical preservation of architecture for a city rooted in tradition and tourism has no place or part in rebuilding New Orleans.

Where are the houses nice by the way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
I was thinking Houston/Galveston, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, Mobile, VA Beach also. And yes, a lot of cities in FL, there is a reason it's approaching 20 million people. I'd say it has a lot to do with the weather/beach combo, and not the culture. People move to NO for culture. Maybe not big enough, but cities nonetheless. Personally I would sacrifice a bigger city to be in a smaller locale by the coast, I know not everybody else would, but it is something I enjoy. I would pick NO over Atlanta/Dallas using that same logic, just b/c it is still closer and you could drive over to OB, Pcola, Destin. I thought the beaches in MS were weak though, I've driven that hwy 90 stretch through there.
There are many smaller cities on the coast. MS beaches are weak but so are Galveston's.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know asking that was off limits. Obviously, historical preservation of architecture for a city rooted in tradition and tourism has no place or part in rebuilding New Orleans.

The Garden district has some fantastic housing IMHO

Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

You won't find many people more sensitive about issues regarding "the storm" than me, but just for the record, I didn't find your question offensive at all.

I live in a neighborhood mentioned by Jimbo on the last page- Mid-City. The particular building is nothing special, a 3-story residential building constructed in 1960 to house retired Jesuit priests. I'm not in the Garden District by a long shot but there is still very nice architecture around me. My building got 8 feet of water in the storm.

You can see some of my neighborhood in this thread:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...ing-areas.html

Lots of nice images of New Orleans, the ones I took around the 'hood are on page 1.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:52 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
The Garden District is fairly famous (and rightfully so), but I liked a lot of what I saw in most of Uptown. Loyola's campus is beautiful, and many of the homes are beautiful and architecturally significant if not quite as "stately" as the bigger homes in the Garden District.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:11 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgonzalez12 View Post
Well most people don't know the reality of the film industry. Most people assume everything is filmed in NY and LA in actual locations when in reality half of what takes place in NY is filmed in LA and alot of what takes place in LA is filmed everywhere else. Captain America was filmed in London. Teen Wolf is filmed in Atlanta. The Office and CSI: NY are filmed in LA. Most people that don't know about the film industry think that NY has the biggest production value (despite the fact that something as obvious as HOLLYWOOD is in LA).

And most of the aspiring film makers and industry professionals I know are moving to Austin, Atlanta, and New Orleans because that's where all the work is. Even if I'm wrong about this, I'm pretty sure that NOLA will match NYC in the next decade. Nicholas Cage, Robert Rodriguez, and even JJ Abrams have acknowledged that the growing industry in New Orleans is the beginning of a major shift for the industry.

I will give you it being a city on the rise in the industry, but my argument is that it's not there yet and has a ways to go before being a top 3 producer. As for aspiring film makers and professionals, sadly they are leaving Austin. Rick Perry cut Arts funding in this state last year, causing many to close up shop. Pretty sad because there are a lot of people in DFW and Austin passionate about the industry.

IMDB numbers - Jan 2011 to present. (includes TV)

1948 films - Los Angeles
1028 films - New York
349 films - Vancouver*
193 films - Chicago
156 films - Atlanta
128 films - San francisco
120 films - New Orleans
89 films - Austin
78 films - Portland

*Vancouver's numbers are obviously high due to it having film makers from the US and Canada

Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,285,804 times
Which part of New Orleans looks like this?

san francisco - Google Maps

Or this:

Google Maps

Or this:

Google Maps

Or this:

Google Maps

Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Here is another news article from CBS News about how NOLA is the number 3 city in the country for film.

Film industry turning New Orleans into "Hollywood South" - CBS News Video
You are absolutely correct, rcp. I use to work at one of the largest film studios in the country outside of Hollywood in Louisiana (can't disclose location). There are plenty of buildings that have the movie sets that you probably seen on the big screen already. ( Twilight .) I have personally been on these sets myself. The studios have expanded over the years as an indication that the film industry is here to stay. There are more movies set to be filmed so no it's not going anywhere. Outside of LA and NY, New Orleans-Baton Rouge rank 3rd. The reason why Louisiana is a fast growing film production center is because of the setting and being cheaper on the budget compared to say Warner Brothers in Hollywood. Also keep in mind a movie may be filmed in various location sets around the country not just one.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:20 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,305 times
New Orleans Est. 1718

some fun facts that come to mind:

- nation's oldest street car system
- older than San Francisco founded 1776 inc town 1850 (French Quarter existed in 1734)
- nation's 3rd largest city at one time after Baltimore and NYC by 1840.
- nation's oldest city market
- 9 dialect accents
- birthplace of jazz
- most number of continuous above street balconies along with some of the oldest unique architecture in nation.

South of Jackson

North of Jackson

What was to be Emperor Napoleon's residence during his exile but he never made it to America. Napoleon House: History

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 AM

398 posts, read 750,869 times
Nice pics of New Orleans, I was just there... Don't think I could live there though, would wind up drinking too much. I love how some of the brick sidewalks in the streets are so old they warp, and how peoples doorsteps come out in the middle of the sidewalks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City