Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 01:16 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No no no no no no no no no no no the city is not a red light district. Go there and think that and you will end up in the drunk tank like the other Bourbon idiots. The only place strippers are aggressive like that is on Bourbon St, for you tourists.

The Iberville has mostly been demolished in place for mixed-income housing.
They should've made mixed-income brothels in keeping with tradition while introducing a bit of social justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No no no no no no no no no no no the city is not a red light district. Go there and think that and you will end up in the drunk tank like the other Bourbon idiots. The only place strippers are aggressive like that is on Bourbon St, for you tourists.

The Iberville has mostly been demolished in place for mixed-income housing.
Did that happen pretty recently?

Old 11-27-2013, 01:47 PM

443 posts, read 877,322 times
New Orleans is a great City, but SF offers so much more. It's in a completely different league in terms of density, urbanity, and overall walkability. And it has literally dozens of great urban neighborhoods to explore, many of which are very unique. New Orleans' is a special City but it just doesn't have anywhere near the depth or scale that SF has.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:54 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
You claimed that SF was more appealing to Europeans because it was a busier air hub.
No, I stated San Francisco is a far bigger destination(look up the word if you don't understand) to Europeans which appears to be the group you put on a pedestal-why I don't know, but SF is far more popular to that group, to visit and immigrate to, than New Orleans.

Does that clear up your confusion on the matter?

Quote:
We're talking SF, not the Bay Area.
From the standpoint of living, it is not only possible but realistic to look at a city and it's surroundings-it's not my fault that SF is surrounded by scores of vibrant, desirable and relevant places in their own right.

Quote:
This is quite obviously wrong. NYC's greatness is largely based on things that presently have little to do with Manhattan.
Actually NYCs greatness to people around the world is at least 95% because of Manhattan.

Quote:
In terms of urbanity and transit, the Outer Boroughs of NYC absolutely destroy SF
Big Whoop. A bunch of crowded ugly trains travelling between non-descript, slummy looking areas, I mean 'high density' slummy looking areas.

Quote:
For the typical young, educated, talented person looking for an urban environment, Brooklyn is like 10 times more appealing than SF. For example, Park Slope > any neighborhood in SF; bar none.
Hahahaha...why on earth would you compare the income and educational attainment levels of Brooklyn to San Francisco. What a joke.

You 917 people think far too highly of yourselves, I have to say.

Quote:
And LA has much more than SF if you're looking for a big city experience or visiting as a tourist, all for less money. No one visits NO for the purpose of big city amenities, but that is SF's claim to fame, and yet NYC and LA pretty much destroy SF on those characteristics.
San Francisco's claim to fame is that is has world class big city amenities in a vibrant upscale urban environment AND incredible natural beauty and an incredible climate.

Neither NY nor Los Angeles capture both upscale urban vibrancy and natural setting like San Francisco does. Neither.

Oh, and the Bay Area's economy is booming much faster than the other two as well.

Anything else?

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM

640 posts, read 1,225,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
It did? seriously? like Amsterdam?
New Orleans used to have Storyville, a legalized red-light district off Canal Street. It was demolished in the 30s? and replaced with public housing.

Look up EJ Bellocq for some pictures.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
New Orleans used to have Storyville, a legalized red-light district off Canal Street. It was demolished in the 30s? and replaced with public housing.

Look up EJ Bellocq for some pictures.
Yea, but there's nothing like that now and it's quite sad.

Does New Orleans have old fashioned riverboat cruises plying the Mississippi? Seems like it'd be a good tourist attraction along with the brothels and probably best if done as a brothel.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:14 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post

In short, SF, to me, is not as good of a "deal" as NYC and LA. With NYC, you pay a lot, but you live in arguable the greatest city on earth. With LA, you pay a bit less, but you live in the entertainment capital, and in the world city with possibly the best weather. With SF, you live in a great city, but there are no affordable non-ghetto options, and it isn't that big compared to those world cities.
I pretty much agree with this. I know that San Francisco is ultimately the ideal city for A LOT of people, but, for me, the price tag simply isn't worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Pot, meet my good friend Kettle.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:20 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
No, I stated San Francisco is a far bigger destination(look up the word if you don't understand) to Europeans which appears to be the group you put on a pedestal-why I don't know, but SF is far more popular to that group, to visit and immigrate to, than New Orleans.

From the standpoint of living, it is not only possible but realistic to look at a city and it's surroundings-it's not my fault that SF is surrounded by scores of vibrant, desirable and relevant places in their own right.

Actually NYCs greatness to people around the world is at least 95% because of Manhattan.

Big Whoop. A bunch of crowded ugly trains travelling between non-descript, slummy looking areas, I mean 'high density' slummy looking areas.

Hahahaha...why on earth would you compare the income and educational attainment levels of Brooklyn to San Francisco. What a joke.

San Francisco's claim to fame is that is has world class big city amenities in a vibrant upscale urban environment AND incredible natural beauty and an incredible climate.

Neither NY nor Los Angeles capture both upscale urban vibrancy and natural setting like San Francisco does. Neither.

Oh, and the Bay Area's economy is booming much faster than the other two as well.

Anything else?
Wow...Man I typically agree with all your posts and have seen your input usually to be the most well stated without argument or condescension. But here you've come across very disrespectful and a bit arrogant as Nairobi alluded to(maybe more than a bit). This has nothing to do with you downing New Orleans either. IJS.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:

Anything else?
That part in bold is probably the part of the post that's furthest from the truth, but there are a lot of other really amazing ones.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That part in bold is probably the part of the post that's furthest from the truth, but there are a lot of other really amazing ones.
Oakland quickly refutes that point LOL.....the city that he lives in. He lives on Oakland because he can't afford SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City