U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 216 58.22%
New Orleans 155 41.78%
Voters: 371. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM

10,795 posts, read 8,361,098 times
I never said anything that was blatantly incorrect did I? I compared general things, and things I do know about the city. I never made a comment on something I wasn't sure about.
That's why I can do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,499,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional Angel View Post
Nawlins!! By far!!

SF seems really boring and business-like. The weather sucks, it's always cold and gloomy. Not much to do.

NOLA is a city where you can get great food and PARTY!! The people are more down to earth and friendly. Much more history and culture.

Uh... If you can't find something to do in SF, you haven't been there. And what more sizeable history and culture would you be referencing? San Francisco has its own unique history, thank you very much, not the least of which being that it was the gateway for Asians into America, the heart of the Gold Rush and it was a Spanish Missionary colony nearly a century before it was annexed into America.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:06 PM

6,913 posts, read 6,499,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I never said anything that was blatantly incorrect did I? I compared general things, and things I do know about the city. I never made a comment on something I wasn't sure about.

You're sure that San Francisco is "hoity-toity" when you've never been there? The simple answer is no, you aren't. That you're relying on stereotypes instead of information is why people are not taking your words very seriously. The image of San Francisco in the national media is that its "hoity toity" because the national media only focuses on literally about 3 neighborhoods out of a city that comprises 90+.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:11 PM

5,330 posts, read 3,571,055 times
Quote:
Quote:
New Orleans, I like the food culture better. Also don't wanna have to pay Bay area cost of living.
If you compare more than GDP, population, and geography, these cities can be compared well.

I know you can do that, but does it mean anything?? I dont think so. I can say I like the food culture of Ft Worth better than the food culture of Barcelona, of course Ive never been to Barcelona, so my opinion means nothing. You can tout New Orleans all you want, and thats okay, but compared to SF, you have no clue.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You're sure that San Francisco is "hoity-toity" when you've never been there? The simple answer is no, you aren't. That you're relying on stereotypes instead of information is why people are not taking your words very seriously. The image of San Francisco in the national media is that its "hoity toity" because the national media only focuses on literally about 3 neighborhoods out of a city that comprises 90+.
I understand where you're coming from, and I agree. But with a city like SF, it falls under that category for me. Due to the transplants, high COL, and general liberal attitude. It's my opinion, I'll stick with it. I'm sure I'd fall in love with SF but I'm 100% sure I'd leave with the same mindset.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, and I agree. But with a city like SF, it falls under that category for me. Due to the transplants, high COL, and general liberal attitude. It's my opinion, I'll stick with it. I'm sure I'd fall in love with SF but I'm 100% sure I'd leave with the same mindset.
I just flew in and out of SF from Dallas for $198 roundtrip. I'd love to hear your report after you got back.....

Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 PM

I'll fly out of Bush, coach is fine.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I'll fly out of Bush, coach is fine.

Whatever it takes....

Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 PM

I might not come back to Houston...

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 PM

317 posts, read 100,754 times
For me its easy, I like beautiful cities because I love nature and wildlife, love diversity because of the variety of food, cultures, languages, and people just make a place feel more "complete" to me. I love places that have tons to see in the city and even more in the surrounding areas and Bay Area is the best for that, love the weather, and the architecture.

Seriously New Orleans just doesn't compete its, a fraction of the size and yes has history and culture but so does San Francisco. To me the Gold Rush just fascinates me, the entire westward migration fascinates me. The different climates, the variety in everything so grandeur, but at the same time sizable to a manageable pace just sets it for me.

Here are some views outside of San Francisco city proper that you can see in the Bay Area:

Palo Alto Hills: All sizes | Palo Alto Hills | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploringearth/3478612733/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Skyline Boulevard: All sizes | Skyline Vistas | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbisson/146748219/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Vista San Francisco: All sizes | San Francisco Below | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/22779657@N00/2693889300/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Architecture of San Francisco: All sizes | San Fran Pano Thumb | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/digicana/4466142602/sizes/o/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Golden Gate: All sizes | San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidyuweb/5529738150/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Berkeley: All sizes | Berkeley-ward | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecormany/3788402077/sizes/l/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Just some views, but really outside of preference I don't see how New Orleans competes with San Francisco, the size alone drifts them leagues apart.
Quote:
Let me get this right, you're going to a new city with preconceived notions about it before you even get there?

Seriously, all your going to do is go there and look out for all these negative things about San Francisco rather than enjoying yourself there. Not very fair to San Francisco at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City