Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 262 57.71%
New Orleans 192 42.29%
Voters: 454. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,829 times

Advertisements

Well, I saw someone on here once state that SF was the "capital of world liberalism", and judging by Montclair's posts at least SF culture is by definition "high-brow". The argument just seems a little ponderous...I can read all the stats in the world about SF's diversity, but I know that I live in a neighborhood that's somewhat white, largely black, and a bit Hispanic...I can walk down the street and strike up conversations with people I don't even know. That's the spontaneity and friendliness this place is known for, and I like it that way.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 07:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Well, I saw someone on here once state that SF was the "capital of world liberalism", and judging by Montclair's posts at least SF culture is by definition "high-brow". The argument just seems a little ponderous...I can read all the stats in the world about SF's diversity, but I know that I live in a neighborhood that's somewhat white, largely black, and a bit Hispanic...I can walk down the street and strike up conversations with people I don't even know. That's the spontaneity and friendliness this place is known for, and I like it that way.

I don't blame you for liking New Orleans. It's a likable place. You're still forming opinions without experience, though. You're criss-crossing some criteria that have no bearing on one another, like "liberal," "high-brow," "diversity," "spontaneity," and "friendliness" as if some qualities are mutually exclusive. They are not, because they are unrelated traits.

Furthermore, I'm not sure about this, but I gather from his previous posts that Montclair is black and living in Oakland, which is perhaps the most racially diverse city in the Bay Area. I do not know anything about his political leanings or tendencies toward spontaneity, however. He does seem quite friendly, though, if occasionally a bit high-brow.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM

2,549 posts, read 3,978,027 times
I once lived in a 3 million dollar home in Ohio surrounded by hardly any amenities but that's neither here nor there. Limos, Roll Royce, Jaguars, Mercedes, Aston Martin etc..been there. Living around money isn't everything it's cracked up to be anyway. I've grown passed that. It's character of a city that is more important to me than how many rich people live there, five star places, political views or what it's GDP is. It means nothing to me. I will take Bourbon Street over Rodeo Drive or Royal Palm Way any day. Some of the richest people can be one of the most miserable people out there. It can buy unhappiness (problems) if in the wrong hands. You have to live in all three classes to really understand where I'm coming from. Homeless to a 100 million dollar environment makes no difference. It's about there person or place. It's about character of a person or place not how much money they have in their pocket. It would be nothing for me to take hammer to a Rolls Royce and drive off in a Honda. If a city having more money is better than I think Dubai has better character than SF and New Orleans.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:55 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
SF wasn't always high brow. Remember, it used to be super laid back and where people went to get away from high brow stuff. A western port city.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
SF wasn't always high brow. Remember, it used to be super laid back and where people went to get away from high brow stuff. A western port city.
There's still a lot of that around, too. The outward expression of enormous wealth isn't as big of a thing here as it is in places like LA, for instance. People ride public transportation, dress is laid-back, homes and apartments are small in the City. I know it's nothing like it used to be, but it's not at all like what people who haven't been here imagine it to be.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post

Spot on!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It in fact has no 5-star hotels mentioned in any national or international publication for which the term "5-star" would hold any meaning. Please enlighten us with the names of the Houston hotels and the publication making the "5-star" rankings if we are mistaken.
Sure just because Forbes says so means it is so

Are you now considering Forbes a national or international publication? You need to go back to school.

OK here we go! A List of 5 Star Restaurants in Houston | USA Today

And yes I have been to every single one of them and they are indeed 5 Star

Oh and about our 4 and 5 Star Hotels Best Hotels in Houston | U.S. News

See how easy Google works.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
There's still a lot of that around, too. The outward expression of enormous wealth isn't as big of a thing here as it is in places like LA, for instance. People ride public transportation, dress is laid-back, homes and apartments are small in the City. I know it's nothing like it used to be, but it's not at all like what people who haven't been here imagine it to be.
SF is a run down dump. Anyone waving their pomp pomps about how great SF it really needs to get out and take a good look around. The only thing SF has going for it is that it is surrounded by beautiful nature.

Back in the 80's it was a great city but it has really taken a dive for the worst.

It is one of the most filthy with beat up streets and run down neighborhoods, high homelessness and drug infested cities in the nation. Housing choices are next to third world quality unless you pay most of your salary (assuming you make a lot of money) to live in a decent place modern amenities.

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Are you now considering Forbes a national or international publication? You need to go back to school.

Um, that USA Today Article says the following:
Only one restaurant in the greater Houston area boasts a five-star award from Forbes Travel. There are, however, a number of restaurants that are highly rated, including a number with four diamonds from AAA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

Ha! Brilliant. You didn't even read your own article, which, despite the headline, confirmed what I was saying to you in the first paragraph:

"John Mariani wrote in "Esquire" in 2010 that Houston was the country’s seventh-best restaurant city. For the most part, Houston restaurants are less formal when it comes to fine dining than those in other large cities. Only one restaurant in the greater Houston area boasts a five-star award from Forbes Travel. There are, however, a number of restaurants that are highly rated, including a number with four diamonds from AAA."

And yes, the Forbes Travel Guide (the very one your newspaper article references, btw) is an international publication. This is too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City