U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: New Orleans vs San Francisco
San Francisco 203 57.67%
New Orleans 149 42.33%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,276,735 times
Default New Orleans vs San Francisco

SF and NOLA are walkable, historic, and picturesque cities surrounded by important waterways, and both cities have developed a reputation as quirky places with a significant countercultural vibe. Though these cities share other features (such as great food and vulnerability to natural disasters), both have major differences in geography, climate, economy, politics, racial/ethnic composition, and so on.

Which of the two do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 PM

12,396 posts, read 13,405,028 times
new orleans has a counter culture vibe? it always felt super southern to me. also sf is much larger...two different worlds, better comparison would be new orleans vs charleston or something.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:22 PM

4,728 posts, read 4,393,967 times
I easily picked San Francisco.

I don't like New Orleans and it just seems overrated to me. Also it is in a swamp. If it is going to be in a very hot and humid location it should have nice beaches and no swamps in it/around it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:28 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,276,735 times
New Orleans has a large gay presence, lots of artists and musicians, many people in the service industry who work in order to party, and many tourists who go there for a Mardi Gras atmosphere. It isn't as socially and vocally countercultural as SF, though. I've heard many people call New Orleans the "San Francisco of the South," and that's one of the things that prompted this poll.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I easily picked San Francisco.

I don't like New Orleans and it just seems overrated to me. Also it is in a swamp. If it is going to be in a very hot and humid location it should have nice beaches and no swamps in it/around it.
Yeah I think Houston would be the natural choice over New Orleans in the Gulf Coast region...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quijote View Post
New Orleans has a large gay presence, lots of artists and musicians, many people in the service industry who work in order to party, and many tourists who go there for a Mardi Gras atmosphere. It isn't as socially and vocally countercultural as SF, though.
seems pretty normal to me in cities almost anywhere these days... I mean couldn't you say the same thing about Atlanta? Atlanta actually has some hippie areas and had some in the 60s, along with Athens near it... New Orleans and Louisiana in general...I'm not sure ever experienced that.
sf has the radical left, communes, center of 60s and hippie movement, beatniks there also, black panthers, etc.. I don't think New Orleans ever had anything resembling that, though it is definitely a good entertainment town... Just nothing to do with counter culture...southern/cajun party culture is what it is.
You are also talking about the centers of a metro of 1.3 million, vs 7.5 million...
I think you are understimating the size of SF...it's really no contest.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cisco_Pano.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 12-07-2013 at 09:52 AM..

Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 PM

10,424 posts, read 7,598,158 times
New Orleans, I like the food culture better. Also don't wanna have to pay Bay area cost of living.

If you compare more than GDP, population, and geography, these cities can be compared well.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
new orleans by a mile. it may not have the hills but is still totally beautiful. and who needs to be "wordly" in new orleans? new orleans is its own world.
I am honestly not impressed by those pictures.

Plus, the remotely nice area of New Orleans seems to be only 5 blocks long and 2 blocks wide or even less than that.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I think Houston would be the natural choice over New Orleans in the Gulf Coast region...
So did you agree with me that New Orleans might be overrated and that being such a hot and humid place it should have nice beaches around it and not be in a swamp?

I agree. I would pick Houston over New Orleans for the Gulf region.

For the Southern USA region I would pick Austin, Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, Miami, Key West, Atlanta, Savannah, and Charleston over New Orleans.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM

5,295 posts, read 3,301,961 times
San Francisco just has way more to offer. New Orleans is fun for a few days, the foods pretty good (but not varied), the architecture can be very good if you like classical architecture. Its nice, but its not close.....SF by alot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City