U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 PM

6,914 posts, read 6,600,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont see it. In what way? It may have been pop culture, but theres lots of bad pop culture. Like most pop music is throw away music, never to be heard from again.

There is nowhere in the cultural landscape of America you can turn to where you do not see the influence of Hip Hop. Modern dance, art, poetry, etc. all borrow HEAVILY from Hip Hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 05:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 403,305 times
Awe, well right back at ya buddy. Trust me you are not about to rock my world with you miraculous insight into what I know and don't know, how can you, it's impossible unless you are a mind-reader, lol.

Brooklyn devastates... absolutely devastates SF when it comes to rap and hip-hop. It's like King Kong versus and ant. SF isn't even on the hip-hop radar, all their 'stars' are local.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I won't turn this into a Hip Hop thread as its a surefire way for this thread to get locked, but know that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about other than Brooklyn's scene being five years deeper.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:35 PM

3,093 posts, read 1,705,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I dont see it. In what way? It may have been pop culture, but theres lots of bad pop culture. Like most pop music is throw away music, never to be heard from again.
Its real world effect? How things are marketed. It has also caused millions to take to the street, mobilize politically, and pool their resources to create lasting endowments to challenge institutional racism and our fundamental distribution of power and wealth.

No, wait. Its caused none of that.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I meant dancing in general. Not a specific dance like the Harlem Shake.

Comparing the Harlem Shake to turfing is like comparing Soulja Boy to Nas. It really is.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Awe, well right back at ya buddy. Trust me you are not about to rock my world with you miraculous insight into what I know and don't know, how can you, it's impossible unless you are a mind-reader, lol.

Brooklyn devastates... absolutely devastates SF when it comes to rap and hip-hop. It's like King Kong versus and ant. SF isn't even on the hip-hop radar, all their 'stars' are local.

Again, continue to expose your own ignorance... you don't even sound like an actual Hip Hop fan, you sound like a bandwagoner. You probably can't even name 20 Brooklyn rappers rofl.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM

5,467 posts, read 2,468,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Um September 2012, getting the Nets, and the Devils.
Um, call me then. Pretty impressive that the '4th largest city in America' only went 50+ years without a sports team. Definite sign of a stand-alone city.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM

1,336 posts, read 403,305 times
If I had to have a smack-down trust me you'd get owned. Later, sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Again, continue to expose your own ignorance... you don't even sound like an actual Hip Hop fan, you sound like a bandwagoner. You probably can't even name 20 Brooklyn rappers rofl.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:41 PM

5,336 posts, read 3,638,888 times
Quote:
Not at all, that's just you very personal opinion. Brooklyn's got flavor to spare. I feel bad for SF, a whole city that thinks it's more important than it really is, quite the opposite of Brooklyn. FWIW, hip-hop is the most important musical movement of the last 30+ years - dismiss it at your own peril.

New York City overall yes. Brooklyn in particular, no. And no need to feel bad for SF, its doing just fine.

Whats important about hip hop, is there some big social movement reliant on hip hop? Isnt it just r&b by a new name. I do dismiss it, and there is no peril. Country sells as much as hip hop, do you dismiss it? Rock sells more than hiphop, country, and pop combined, do you dismiss it?

Old 12-05-2011, 05:43 PM

5,336 posts, read 3,638,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Its real world effect? How things are marketed. It has also caused millions to take to the street, mobilize politically, and pool their resources to create lasting endowments to challenge institutional racism and our fundamental distribution of power and wealth.

No, wait. Its caused none of that.

Scared me. Its just added to pop culture, thats it........no more no less, but thats ok.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM

Quote:
If I had to have a smack-down trust me you'd get owned. Later, sucker.

net-thugging already? rofl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City