U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2011, 11:28 AM

19,254 posts, read 16,425,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If that's the case, then you should quote someone. You should be able to find at least one post where someone comes remotely close to implying that Brooklyn is limited to affluent, wealthy areas with exclusively upscale amenities where we can live a "proper" lifestyle.
This "proper" lifestyle can only be found in the

Bay area bay area bay area SF bay area Cali bay area Asian bay area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM
rah

3,102 posts, read 5,190,598 times
Once again, with the:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Crap.

I guess your new way of conducting a debate is by spamming the forums with nonsense?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:38 AM

17,337 posts, read 9,814,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
This "proper" lifestyle can only be found in the

If you think about it, nobody's really even putting SF down. "Putting SF down" basically means stating facts that put Brooklyn in a better light.

Fact: "Brooklyn is larger than San Francisco."
Counter: "Yeah, well it's crappier, uglier and dirtier too with all of its ugly people!"

Fact: "Brooklyn has better public transit than SF."
Counter: "That's only because it's older. That and the fact that its high crime rate necessitates a fast mode of transportation from its thug-ridden neighborhoods."

Fact: "Brooklyn is denser than San Francisco."
Counter: "Not in its core! Besides, who says density is the end all be all anyway? And when it comes to "upscale" density, Brooklyn's no match for us!"

Fact: "Brooklyn has events that range from Mos Def performing in Ft. Greene Park, outdoor parties at Grand Army Plaza, the Labor Day Parade and the Williamsburg Arts Festival."
Counter: "F*** that! Who wants to do that sh*t anyway? I know I most certainly do not."

Fact: "Brooklyn is more diverse than San Francisco. We have everything from Hassidic Jews to Cubans to Fuzhou to Guyanese."
Counter: Who cares?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:51 AM

19,254 posts, read 16,425,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Once again, with the:

Crap.

I guess your new way of conducting a debate is by spamming the forums with nonsense?

Maybe, maybe not

On Nonesense, honestly the bay mantra may be less nonsensical than the majority of this thread

This debate is useless in most aspects and positional movement on the bay front renders any constructive dialouge useless. As useless as much of the useless drivel from the other coast

So i will leave you all with

Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM

25,105 posts, read 32,684,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you think about it, nobody's really even putting SF down. "Putting SF down" basically means stating facts that put Brooklyn in a better light.

Fact: "Brooklyn is larger than San Francisco."
Counter: "Yeah, well it's crappier, uglier and dirtier too with all of its ugly people!"

Fact: "Brooklyn has better public transit than SF."
Counter: "That's only because it's older. That and the fact that its high crime rate necessitates a fast mode of transportation from its thug-ridden neighborhoods."

Fact: "Brooklyn is denser than San Francisco."
Counter: "Not in its core! Besides, who says density is the end all be all anyway? And when it comes to "upscale" density, Brooklyn's no match for us!"

Fact: "Brooklyn has events that range from Mos Def performing in Ft. Greene Park, outdoor parties at Grand Army Plaza, the Labor Day Parade and the Williamsburg Arts Festival."
Counter: "F*** that! Who wants to do that sh*t anyway? I know I most certainly do not."

Fact: "Brooklyn is more diverse than San Francisco. We have everything from Hassidic Jews to Cubans to Fuzhou to Guyanese."
Counter: Who cares?
Blah Blah Blah

You forgot:
1. Brooklyn is a business and corporate lightweight
2. Brooklyn has a subpar downtown
3. Brooklyn has subpar shopping
4. Brooklyn has subpar schools
5. Brooklyn has subpar quality of life
6. Brooklyn has more than twice as many poor people as SF

None of which is necessarily bad, but you are trying to compare Brooklyn to SF and so these things are going to come to light.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:09 PM

25,105 posts, read 32,684,589 times
A Philly booster pretending ever so obviously to be a Bay Area booster that is impersonating a Philly resident as to indirectly imply that it isnt just Philly that has people with multiple accounts.

Now, we've seen it all.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,061,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You might have to explain the bolded to some of your fellow east coasters, they pretend as if these areas don't exist and all of Brooklyn is the envy of the world.
Really? Please point out the posts that claimed this. No one in this thread to my knowledge was implying Brooklyn has "upscale vibrancy" (whatever the hell that is). What IS a fact though is Brooklyn is very vibrant and active even outside its 'core' area.

Some people in this thread need to worry more about reading comprehension.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 320,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
BK overall is desirable. The only areas not desirable are the nabes with high crime, which every city/area has.

Let's hear about those so called less desirable areas of BK. Honestly, this is a call out. I am testing your knowledge of BK. The longer it takes you to reply is the longer I am assuming you are googling. And don't give me the areas everyone knows such as Brownsville, ENY, Crown Heights and Bed-Stuy. Give me some info the average person doesnt know, honestly I dont think much time was spent there.
Still waiting, I would love a response.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:35 PM

11,279 posts, read 10,035,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Blah Blah Blah

You forgot:

None of which is necessarily bad, but you are trying to compare Brooklyn to SF and so these things are going to come to light.
Brooklyn has some of the best schools in the nation though (and also some of the worst). Brooklyn is definitely a business and corporate lightweight, though it's interesting the number of business that have started there in recent years that seem to be hitting a certain stride (Brooklyn Brewery, Brooklyn Industries, Adafruit come to mind)--maybe something about being corporate lightweight pushes people into entrepreneurship? Shopping in terms of high end is terrible in Brooklyn, but in terms of personalized craft stuff or just really hard to find random bits, Brooklyn is amazing. I love junk. I don't see how you can argue that Brooklyn has a subpar quality of life--there seems to be people in many different socioeconomic brackets that don't seem to be in complete misery. I think I actually saw some people who were happy just the other week. Also, Brooklyn has a lot more poor in absolute numbers because it's far more populous, and per capita because it still has large swaths that are affordable enough that the poor aren't (yet) pushed out of the borough.

Also, we are all wandering well away from the original criteria in this topic.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM

17,337 posts, read 9,814,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Blah Blah Blah

You forgot:

These SF boosters are praying for our downfall,
They're just.. Haaaaaaaaters
We wave at you, We're so plaaaaaaayer,
We'll never be done we're so raaaaaaaaaaaayer
We running San Fran like we day Maaaaayor
You can't fade us, you hate us
We need you, stay there
We breathe you like aaaaaaaaaaaayer

Jay-Z - Hate (Feat. Kanye West) HQ - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City