Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
Toronto has a real skyline with many more skyscrapers than L.A. - that's context in which I made that statement, and Brooklyn does not have many skyscrapers so I would not have made a similar claim for it. As you kindly point out (though omission), I never said Brooklyn beats L.A. in size or skyline or economy or weather or even in hip-hop culture because it does not.
Here's your actual quote:

L.A. is a medium-sized city that has a gigantic suburb withing city limits with an even bigger ego. Toronto is a world-class urban metropolis that truly makes L.A. look like a shrimp.

Some other gems:

Toronto is a beast of a metropolis, while L.A. struggles to be a proper city.

Explain why L.A. is such a small and pathetic city compared to Toronto, even with the larger population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
It's just a comparison but when people bring up points knowing it's not within this part of the city (or in this borough), it just becomes bashing. I can't (I'm sorry, I just can't) disconnect the city as whole, but I did a great job in this thread! For people that's not from here, sure it could be easy but it's not when you grew up here. Everything is more integrated then it seems.

I can understand that, but at the end of the day everybody in the thread realizes that Brooklyn is part of NYC.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:44 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,935 times
I would never substitute the word "Brooklyn" for "Toronto" in the context of these sentences, so all this muckraking is both off topic and irrelevant. Toronto has a tremendously well developed urban core whereas l.A. derives its strength and diversity from it's dense, but largely suburban sprawl. I can't find anything wrong with what I said except for the fact that it doesn't belong in this thread and at no time was I comparing L.A. to Brooklyn. Move along, folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Here's your actual quote:

L.A. is a medium-sized city that has a gigantic suburb withing city limits with an even bigger ego. Toronto is a world-class urban metropolis that truly makes L.A. look like a shrimp.

Some other gems:

Toronto is a beast of a metropolis, while L.A. struggles to be a proper city.

Explain why L.A. is such a small and pathetic city compared to Toronto, even with the larger population.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Its hilarious considering the terrible reputations places like Brooklyn and Philadephia have that they would try to put down Oakland just because they are losing a debate about SF.

much of this is stupidity vs a$$holishness and duechbaggery (stupidity is excuseable the later is shameful)

what is also very funny is the same folks proclaim the ghettos and crime one day than proclaim and make points on decay in others with eleusions that it does not exist in the other (In all honesty I have never seen a lot that plays both sides of the fence so redially as this crew)

quite frankly based on much of the showing has SF really made the leap from a cool, hip, trendy, out of the box place when it appears to have become some disneyfied panacea, or at least to some it appears

and seriously now you are saying Oakland (which has never had a crime reputation, has it Montclair?) somehow is a panacea to surpass a BK or Philly

Whats next emeryville

I am off to bed, on to Boston and Cambridge tomorrow

I am for one glad the folks I met in CA late last month were far more interesting than this drivel

Old 12-05-2011, 11:38 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
much of this is stupidity vs a$$holishness and duechbaggery (stupidity is excuseable the later is shameful)

what is also very funny is the same folks proclaim the ghettos and crime one day than proclaim and make points on decay in others with eleusions that it does not exist in the other (In all honesty I have never seen a lot that plays both sides of the fence so redially as this crew)

quite frankly based on much of the showing has SF really made the leap from a cool, hip, trendy, out of the box place when it appears to have become some disneyfied panacea, or at least to some it appears

and seriously now you are saying Oakland (which has never had a crime reputation, has it Montclair?) somehow is a panacea to surpass a BK or Philly

Whats next emeryville

I am off to bed, on to Boston and Cambridge tomorrow

I am for one glad the folks I met in CA late last month were far more interesting than this drivel

Where did Montclair say Oakland did not have a crime reputation or allude that there was no crime in it? He said what I said... trying to lambast Oakland for crime when you're bigging-up Brooklyn of all places is pretty ridiculous. ENY, Brownsville, Marcy, Bushwick, etc. don't disappear in a conversation about BK because they're inconvenient just as BVHP, Sunnydale, Potrero Hill, etc. don't disappear in a conversation about SF because they're inconvenient. Oakland had nothing to do with this conversation... certain posters on this thread however continue to bring up where Montclair lives as being a contradiction to what he talks about when in reality these posters have no clue what Oakland actually is, let alone know enough about it to say what it isn't.

And as much as you like to separate yourself from "the drivel", you get knee-deep in it yourself. I remember from the Philly vs. SF thread that you posted a video of Occupy Oakland in an attempt to smear the city despite knowing damn well that anyone could post a video of the flash mobs in DT Philly from a couple months ago and claim that Philly is lawless. This is especially jarring when you claim to know better...

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Default Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Furthermore, New York City's shrinking Black population lost a similar amount as the Bay Area, 5%.

But that's not the end of the story in Northern California because when we look at the stats for the 100-mile radius that surrounds the city of SF, we quickly see that the Black Population has actually GROWN and its clear that the vast majority of Blacks who left the Bay area moved to the surrounding metros in search of bigger homes at more affordable prices:

And as far as Blacks who are multiracial:

In summary: 845,000 Blacks live within 100 miles of SF, up 5% from the past 10 years.

Period.

So people had to move out to the exurbs and other metros, basically, which is what happened in Manhattan and then the rest of New York City. I don't see how this is any kind of bragging right, especially if we're limiting ourselves to San Francisco and Brooklyn.

The fact is, both are gentrifying at a rapid rate and that often comes at the expense of populations who are generally less affluent--and rather than making them affluent, the system just pushes people out further and further. It shouldn't be a point of pride for anyone.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,234,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
San Francisco has virtually no black people.
Wrong, again.

San Francisco city proper black population, 2010:
black alone: 48,870 (6.1%)
black alone + mixed: 57,810 (7.2%)

San Francisco MSA black population, 2010:
black alone: 363,905 (8.4%)
black alone + mixed: 420,311 (9.7%)

San Francisco CSA black population, 2010:
black alone: 484,610 (6.5%)
black alone + mixed: 572,204 (7.7%)

Old 12-06-2011, 06:10 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Where did Montclair say Oakland did not have a crime reputation or allude that there was no crime in it? He said what I said... trying to lambast Oakland for crime when you're bigging-up Brooklyn of all places is pretty ridiculous. ENY, Brownsville, Marcy, Bushwick, etc. don't disappear in a conversation about BK because they're inconvenient just as BVHP, Sunnydale, Potrero Hill, etc. don't disappear in a conversation about SF because they're inconvenient. Oakland had nothing to do with this conversation... certain posters on this thread however continue to bring up where Montclair lives as being a contradiction to what he talks about when in reality these posters have no clue what Oakland actually is, let alone know enough about it to say what it isn't.

And as much as you like to separate yourself from "the drivel", you get knee-deep in it yourself. I remember from the Philly vs. SF thread that you posted a video of Occupy Oakland in an attempt to smear the city despite knowing damn well that anyone could post a video of the flash mobs in DT Philly from a couple months ago and claim that Philly is lawless. This is especially jarring when you claim to know better...
I did not remove myself from any blame nor was the first to bring locations as a form of response (think that would be Montclaire if you would read back far into the history)

Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,935 times
haha... yeah Brooklyn beats Oakland on crime, SF too. Half the crime of SF and 1/3 the crime of Oakland (per capita) - that's a HUGE difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post

Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So people had to move out to the exurbs and other metros, basically, which is what happened in Manhattan and then the rest of New York City.
The point is Bajan Yankee and others here like to single out the Bay Area when it comes to Blacks as if they do worse here than elsewhere and we know that's a flat out contradiction of the truth.

In fact, Blacks in the Bay Area do quite well compared to their counterparts elsewhere:

Median Annual Earnings, Full Time Employed Black Males, 2010
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $52,323
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia $48,327
New York-Newark-Bridgeport $41,985
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville $39,028

Median Annual Earnings, Full Time Employed Black Females, 2010
Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia $46,388
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $45,661
New York-Newark-Bridgeport $40,093
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville $35,278

And now we know from the 2010 Census that Blacks in the Bay Area are upwardly mobile as well, since they are moving to the burbs in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City