Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,295,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And none of that is relevant to 'urbanity'.

Note to Gateway: Find a dictionary.
Actually, those are the three main aspects as to how EVERYONE defines urbanity.

I find it hilarious how a person could even THINK SF can hang with any of those 4 boroughs of urbanity. This is equal to saying Jacksonville is more urban than DC, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Positions are determined to provide SF or the Bay with the most favorable application, why would this change in any context

SF has more variety of shopping thus defeats BK in this regard however shopping is comparable but disreagrded

SF compares on aspects to Manhattan thus is comparable, variety and amount are not a factor if to the behest of SF

can go on and on and on and on

Delusion allows for the rationalization of non cohesive viewpoints and allows one to accept them as such rationalized and true to the delusional individual

Old 12-06-2011, 09:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Actually, those are the three main aspects as to how EVERYONE defines urbanity.
Everyone except educated people. Look up the word and the come back to us.

Urbanity has ZERO to do with population density and transit. Get over it.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,747,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Positions are determined to provide SF or the Bay with the most favorable application, why would this change in any context

You think claiming that the Bronx and Queens are more urban than SF in any meaningful sense of the word is intelligent?

Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
Here you go.

The 2008 Global Cities Index | Foreign Policy

This is the only link or source I know of that breaks down cities and ranks them by categories.

SF:

Business Activity: 27
HUman Capital: 12
Information Exchange: 22
Cultural Experience: 23
Political Engagement: 29
Damn. Even Los Angeles outranks San Francisco. I guess Montclair will be packing his bags and headed down to sunny L.A. to get the lifestyle he yearns for.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 3,707 times
This thread is funny to me :P here in Abruzzo Italy, San Francisco is never talked about as much as Brooklyn. The only thing that makes me think about that city is a big red bridge hehehehhe. Here in Italy we talk about New York Dc Miami Philadelphia, and Chicago.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:29 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,661,088 times
I ask you to provide a counter-point to these pictures, old as they may be (10 years now) if what you say is true. You know it's impossible, San Francisco's skyline would literally disappear if you dropped it into Manhattan, swallowed whole.

--------------------------------------------------
This (last) one was shot on Sept 11, 2002

ny south view (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6466541533/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr
Manhattan, Looking North (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6466541547/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr
New York City (http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagicdigital/6466541557/ - broken link) by imagic digital (http://www.flickr.com/people/imagicdigital/ - broken link), on Flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Once again, look up urbanity and then come back to us.

Oh and btw, as far as urbanity, San Francisco most definitely compares to Manhattan.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 3,707 times
I've always wanted to visit the Americas and hopefully I can move there but why would I spend so much money in SF when I can get it chaper in Philadelphia. Also I move to Philly, I can be around my own people. What's in SF that benefits me that I can't get in Philly or new York.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
You think claiming that the Bronx and Queens are more urban than SF in any meaningful sense of the word is intelligent?

one definition is "citified"? yes absolutely and in the context of CD IMHO it actually is far more applicable than "civilized and polite"

Using an alternate urbane definition West Palm beach or Malibu or Gladwyn are more urban than just about any place including SF and Manhattan in this regard. So yes I find to be astonishingly meaningful on a significant variety of contexts, most importantly as the topic related to CD discussion on urbanity

Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian Frank View Post
This thread is funny to me :P here in Abruzzo Italy, San Francisco is never talked about as much as Brooklyn. The only thing that makes me think about that city is a big red bridge hehehehhe. Here in Italy we talk about New York Dc Miami Philadelphia, and Chicago.

Well Frank according to many in the bay area non asians are lessor and perceptions from non asians are likely irrelevant

Enjoy Abruzzo, am personally jealous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City