Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 13,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
....Atlanta also has representation in the big four professional sports, NBA (Hawks), MLB (Braves), NFL (Falcons) and NHL (Thrashers), as well as college teams like Georgia Tech Yellowjackets, and the Georgia State Panthers....
We need a MLS team (major league soccer)...... Miami is getting the Barcelona, US division club..

Old 06-04-2009, 07:01 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Quality of Life: I love both cities, but I would say Atlanta has the upper-hand in regards to quality of life. The neighborhoods in Atlanta are more charming and there are more affordable communties thorughout Metro Atlanta for middle-class families than there are in the Miami area as a whole. Also, schools in the Atlanta area are better as a whole than they are in Miami.

Diversity: Although Latino and Carribean cultures predominate in the Miami area, Atlanta is diverse as well with a large African American community, as well as a growing Hispanic and Asian community. However, due to international tourism and a large presence of foreign banks and companies, I think Miami is slightly more cosmopolitan than Atlanta. Also, it definitely helps to know Spanish if you plan on living in Miami.

Progressivism: In regards to being progressive, I would say that Atlanta is more progressive than Miami. Remember that Miami has a large Cuban expat population that have traditionally voted Republican and elected candidates that are more conservative politically. There is a large gay community in Miami, but Atlanta's may be larger, if not the largest in the Southeast.

Urban Landscape: Atlanta has more variety in regards to its neighborhoods than Miami. While Miami may have the advantage in having different ethnic enclaves within the city (Little Havana, Little Haiti), Atlanta offers different types of neighborhoods from posh (Midtown, Buckhead) to yuppie (Peachtree Hills, Virginia-Highland) to artsy/bohemian/hipster (East Atlanta, Little 5 Points, Cabbagetown). In Miami it seems that you either have money to live in a nice high-rise near the water or home in Coconut Grove, or you're living in an area without adequate services and infrastructure.

Natural Setting: Atlanta is set in the midst of a forest and is within a couple of hours from mountains that offer excellent choices for outdoor recreation including whitewater rafting, kayaking, hiking, and biking. Miami has the unbeatable advantage of having some of the best beaches in North America. Also, the nearby Everglades are one-of-a-kind, as well as the nearby Keys.

IMHO, one city really doesn't cancel out the other overall. It all depends on what you're looking for personally.
You have to remember that just because Atlanta might vote democratic doesn't certainly mean a lot of the people who are voting are what some would consider progressive. Many ATLiens are African-American who vote democratic by default but are still very religious (And I am not saying that with a negative tone like a lot of people on here do) or they aren't very gay friendly (though Atlanta does have a large gay population).

But as far as the op is concerned I would go with Atlanta every day of the week.

I find their clubs and culture a lot more appealing than Miami. Plus the large and thriving African-American population cements it for me.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:01 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
UTHORNS96 - I agree with your post, but you need to remember that this majority black City voted for a white, out lesbian as City Council President over 10 years ago. I would venture that the average AA voter within the City of Atlanta is overall more progressive than average.

Just an FYI!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:41 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
UTHORNS96 - I agree with your post, but you need to remember that this majority black City voted for a white, out lesbian as City Council President over 10 years ago. I would venture that the average AA voter within the City of Atlanta is overall more progressive than average.

Just an FYI!
It's worth noting however, that many middle and upper-middle class blacks no longer live within the City limits these days. Over the years, many have flocked to closer-in suburban areas (Camp Creek, Mableton, others...) with nice homes, but are outside the City voting areas. The last time they reported on it, they said there was a relatively low number of blacks (percentage wise) who were registered to vote within the City.

The next Mayoral election will be very interesting. That same City Council President is running for Mayor, against several black candidates.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
It's worth noting however, that many middle and upper-middle class blacks no longer live within the City limits these days. Over the years, many have flocked to closer-in suburban areas (Camp Creek, Mableton, others...) with nice homes, but are outside the City voting areas. The last time they reported on it, they said there was a relatively low number of blacks (percentage wise) who were registered to vote within the City.

The next Mayoral election will be very interesting. That same City Council President is running for Mayor, against several black candidates.
I could not agree more, Greg. A LOT has changed in the City since then. More than 100,000 people have moved into the City since 2000, the majority of them white - while the black population is shrinking.

On another note, are you sure you aren't confusing Cathy Woolard with Mary Norwood? Mary was never City Council President, and she isn't gay.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

On another note, are you sure you aren't confusing Cathy Woolard with Mary Norwood? Mary was never City Council President, and she isn't gay.
Oops. My bad. Teaches me for taking the industrial strength allergy pills at work.

(Norwood)

Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 AM

^LOL! I have been quilty of that myself. Hang in there!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 22,490 times
I moved from Atlanta to Miami two years ago and am ready to move back. This is my opinion on both from a single 20 something point of view

Atlanta: I love the southern hospitality you can walk down the street give eye contact and the person is going to say hello back. Because of certain laws clubs in the buckhead area have been closing early like 2:30-3am so a late night partier wouldn't like it. Apartments as well as homes are cheaper and you get more home for your money a backyard and space away from neighbors. in Miami homes are a little to close together for my taste. The first language here is english which is great for non bilinguals. You get the seasons at least meaning spring feels like spring summer is summer but wiinter isn't to bad more like a fall. I love winter clothes and you can make yourself warm when its cold by adding layers when you are hot you are hot no matter what you wear. Also Atlanta is like a mini Hollywood lots of celebrities live here and if you are interested in modeling or acting in the urban market things are picking up there. I have done modeling and acting both places and Atlanta won as far as casting calls and number of auditions for people all looks and ages . Thanks to Tyler Perry and many others lots of production companies opening up and more to come.

Dating in Atlanta: its difficult here a bit women defenitely outnumber men and they know it some take full advantage of this. Also there are a lot of lesbians and gay men here so that makes the numbers even smaller if you are heterosexual. Overall dating experience men seem to be respectful but like anywhere men are men lol. Atlanta has a good balance of family things to do as wll as things to do if you are single.

Miami: Miami is amazing the first time I came I fell in love with the beach and culture and knew I had to at least try to live in this amazing place. I have been here for two years. I have seen many friends come and go Miami is a transit city many people don't settle here. They get over partying everyday and drinking etc and move on or grow up. The club scene is great some places its about who you know to get in and some places its a free. For all where. People my mothers age can go. Its sad sometimes I see women in their 60's at mansion or out until 6am and I'm thinking doesn't it get old. In Miami the homes are close together the condos are expensive lots of high rises and rent is so so depending on where. You live. There seem to be a lot of crooks and crooked people down here people are not particularly friendly. They don't say hi or speak to strangers on the street. Sometimes I go into stores and people don't even say hello can I help you. Its over crowded in many areas and you tell yourself you will be at the beach all the time but sometimes its like why deal with tourist and traffic today. Lots of Miami residents rarely go knowing it will always be there. Lots of celebs call Miami their. 2nd home always something going on here. If you are into acting modeling there is a chance here although due to the economy a lot of agencies have closed as well as production companies The only show that is based in Miami that's actually shot here is burn notice. Csi miami and dexter etc no longer it cost to much so its done in La.

Dating: dating here is much like atl women outnumber men and lots of attrative people. There is also a large gay community. For people my age group not many are looking to settle down most are just trying to party and drink every night. I also have older friends in their 40's and they are unmarried and have the same complaints about men as me.a lot of people still live at home with their parents or rommates since rent is a bit. High and that could be a problem as well if you are looking for someone independant.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 22,490 times
Slo Miami if you don't speak spanish forget finding a job just won't happen if you have to talk to people spanish is the #1 language. I love Miami but have to go back to atl have to make a living not going to happen here. All my friends are leaving and can't find a meaningful romantic relationship. Time to go back to Atlanta.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:38 AM

222 posts, read 578,836 times
I belive Id rather live in atl cause I heard more about progress going on in atl than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City